Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 01:12 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

I dont know who controls Gary Wrights back catalogue - but hopefully this sneaks through

Old 07-02-2016, 01:37 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
The guy at Bunnings tested the bolts with the mount so they were the right diameter

And now the camera be under the water at ankle deep - (often required for flounder) - its still a bit higher than I'd like but I still want the camera above the lights

I'll get a better pic when the glue dries
Put the new mount 16cms lower - that orta do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4036.jpg (79.4 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg 4035.jpg (54.7 KB, 212 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 07-02-2016 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:09 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
What brand spray paint are you guys using on your pvc pipe - and is there any special prep to make sure it doesnt just rub off
Ive just used a cheap enamel for this. I was told by my uncle that aslong as its oil based it should be fine. To be honest this is the first one and I knew id probably be cutting it apart and redoing things so I didn't go overboard with the detailing. Be interesting to see how it holds up. If I do a proper one ill probably get the proper primer and maybe clear coat it at the end.

p.s thanks for the resize tip!
Old 07-02-2016, 05:22 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by donga View Post
Ive just used a cheap enamel for this. I was told by my uncle that aslong as its oil based it should be fine. To be honest this is the first one and I knew id probably be cutting it apart and redoing things so I didn't go overboard with the detailing. Be interesting to see how it holds up. If I do a proper one ill probably get the proper primer and maybe clear coat it at the end.

p.s thanks for the resize tip!
Thanks for that Donga - I've used "fiddly bits" in the past and it doesnt latch on to the pvc very well. Comes off on your hands days after it should be dry.

I know what you mean about detailing before field testing - now I just dont detail anymore
Old 07-02-2016, 05:28 AM
Mature Bream

More pics

Thought I would post up some more pics of my holder broken into parts.

1st pic is all the parts laid out.

2nd pic is the 'Scotty Fly Rod Holder' I bought. You can see the spots on top and the section in the middle I had to take material off to get the pipe to fit in there. I already had a scotty gear track head so I stayed with the scotty brand. The fly rod version also seemed to be the one I had to do less work with to get it to all work. Theres so many brands and styles to use, just depends on the size pipe and how much you want to modify it.

3rd pic is the front where the reels slot into. There are just 25mm PVC joining sleeves. I notched out the slots and glued them together with PVC glue. Painted them black. I got some rubber channel from Clarks Rubber and cut one leg off to form a rubber 90degree section so to speak and glued it on using superglue. Note, I did have to grind out some of the ridge in the middle of the sleeves to get my bulkiest bream rod to fit in. Its a snug fit for them all.

4th pic is just 25mm PVC pipe cut and wrapped with some camo tape from ebay, such as these http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdo...8AAOSwgQ9VlIR2
The tape does stick to itself but I wasn't confident it would hold its place. So I got some spray contact adhesive and sprayed the pipes, let them get tacky and wrapped the camo tape around it. Im pretty happy with the hold it has. The ends need to be left clear for gluing the caps and joiners onto.

5th pic are the end caps. They are just 25mm PVDC end caps. I drilled a hole in them and glued them together. I bought a pack of bungee straps from DohDohDoh and cut them to use the black hooks. I got some black shock cord from Clark Rubber to tie them onto it. The cord that came with the hooks was a bit too thick and too brightly coloured for my liking haha

What I wanted was a compact holder to hold multiple rods. I did not design this to hold rods while trolling lures. I needed something that could be used both vertical and horizontally and be changed easily. Im interested to how all the materials hold up over the trips getting drenched in salt water.

I also need to make a tube to stick the rod tips in when in horizontal mode up the front of the yak.

Hope that helps guys!

Donga
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h1.jpg (134.2 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg h2.jpg (129.6 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg h3.jpg (147.0 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg h4.jpg (157.7 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg h6.jpg (144.6 KB, 199 views)
Old 07-02-2016, 06:07 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Thought I would post up some more pics of my holder broken into parts.

1st pic is all the parts laid out.

2nd pic is the 'Scotty Fly Rod Holder' I bought. You can see the spots on top and the section in the middle I had to take material off to get the pipe to fit in there. I already had a scotty gear track head so I stayed with the scotty brand. The fly rod version also seemed to be the one I had to do less work with to get it to all work. Theres so many brands and styles to use, just depends on the size pipe and how much you want to modify it.

3rd pic is the front where the reels slot into. There are just 25mm PVC joining sleeves. I notched out the slots and glued them together with PVC glue. Painted them black. I got some rubber channel from Clarks Rubber and cut one leg off to form a rubber 90degree section so to speak and glued it on using superglue. Note, I did have to grind out some of the ridge in the middle of the sleeves to get my bulkiest bream rod to fit in. Its a snug fit for them all.

4th pic is just 25mm PVC pipe cut and wrapped with some camo tape from ebay, such as these http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdo...8AAOSwgQ9VlIR2
The tape does stick to itself but I wasn't confident it would hold its place. So I got some spray contact adhesive and sprayed the pipes, let them get tacky and wrapped the camo tape around it. Im pretty happy with the hold it has. The ends need to be left clear for gluing the caps and joiners onto.

5th pic are the end caps. They are just 25mm PVDC end caps. I drilled a hole in them and glued them together. I bought a pack of bungee straps from DohDohDoh and cut them to use the black hooks. I got some black shock cord from Clark Rubber to tie them onto it. The cord that came with the hooks was a bit too thick and too brightly coloured for my liking haha

What I wanted was a compact holder to hold multiple rods. I did not design this to hold rods while trolling lures. I needed something that could be used both vertical and horizontally and be changed easily. Im interested to how all the materials hold up over the trips getting drenched in salt water.

I also need to make a tube to stick the rod tips in when in horizontal mode up the front of the yak.

Hope that helps guys!

Donga
Looking good Donga - that point you raised about making your own bungee cords is well received. I can never find the right size.............
This will never be a problem again - Thanks for the heads up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4033.jpg (39.3 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg 4034.jpg (56.1 KB, 195 views)
Old 07-02-2016, 06:11 AM
Mature Bream

yeah was only $7 from DohDohDoh for a whole tub. had big and small size. Lots of hooks for the money!
Old 07-02-2016, 06:24 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
yeah was only $7 from DohDohDoh for a whole tub. had big and small size. Lots of hooks for the money!
Dammit - now I need to know the name of the store.

If you put a number infront of the name it should sneak past Breammasters filters.

1rays
2super cheap auto
3ananconda
4masters
5bcf
6aussie disposals
7bunnings
Old 07-02-2016, 07:10 AM
Mature Bream

I use golf club sticky weights. Got a roll years ago and it works great
Old 07-02-2016, 07:42 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
I use golf club sticky weights. Got a roll years ago and it works great
It it easy to peel off mid session - I quite often only need the weight on for a few casts before moving on to different terrain
Old 07-02-2016, 07:44 AM
Mature Bream

store number 5!
Old 07-02-2016, 08:58 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
store number 5!
Thanks again
Old 07-02-2016, 09:42 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Took the light pole for a test run - it could still be lower but its close to where I want it - I might have to trim the pvc the lights are attached to. Also had some issues with focusing while swishing the camera around but I think I know how to fix that

Last edited by yellow door 1; 09-02-2016 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:34 PM
Mature Bream

yeah just spray enamel from no7 - i sand the pvc and then clean with metho before painting to give the paint something to bite into - still get scratches when knocked against hard surfaces though, so if anyone knows a better paint for pvc i would be keen to know as well

Quote:
Thanks for that Donga - I've used "fiddly bits" in the past and it doesnt latch on to the pvc very well. Comes off on your hands days after it should be dry.

I know what you mean about detailing before field testing - now I just dont detail anymore
Old 07-02-2016, 05:36 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2020 View Post
yeah just spray enamel from no7 - i sand the pvc and then clean with metho before painting to give the paint something to bite into - still get scratches when knocked against hard surfaces though, so if anyone knows a better paint for pvc i would be keen to know as well
I think you've just highlighted a few area's where I'm going wrong - my prep work on the pvc pipe before spraying has been non existent. It probably got sweat and hand juice all over it before I spray. So I may have been dissing "fiddly bits" unnecessarily

Thanks for the heads up

Last edited by yellow door 1; 07-02-2016 at 05:38 PM.