Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-10-2016, 06:31 AM
Fingerling

Talking Newbie tackle talk

Hi

I am new to Bream fishing just starting out did not want to go to expensive to start out, see how it all pans out.

I have fished a few times throughout my life going away camping etc, but that was strictly worm on a hook or prawns caught from wherever I was fishing.

I have already purchased a Shimano Raider Spin Rod 1-4 kg with a Shimano Sedona 2000FE Reel.(I took advantage of a retailers spend $150 and get $40 off). Although I ended up spending $188 after discount all up for those items so not a bad start.

Anyhow my problem is that I need a basic kit of lures and other tackle to be used in the Maribyrnong river specifically, I will be looking at spending around $200 which will have to include Jigheads, softs, hards, line and leader (And anything else I am obviously missing that I may have forgotten to mention or do not know that I need). I understand that this could blow out in no time flat so I am hopeing just for the start I can keep to this budget if possible.

For the line I was going to buy 4lb fireline braid and use a 6lb berkley vanish for the leader. Should I go smaller or is this sufficient? From what I have read this is good size lines to start in.

I have watched a lot of videos on you tube to do with lure fishing and I really want to give it a try.

All and any help is much appreciated!