Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

View Poll Results: What do you think about flyfishing for bream?
Nah, it doesn't interest me in the slightest. 5 20.00%
I could be interested in flyfishing at some time in the future. 7 28.00%
I like to mix my saltwater flyfishing along with my lure fishing. 10 40.00%
I'm a mad keen saltwater flyfishing nut and that's all I do. 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2018, 11:35 PM
Big Bream

Fly-fishing for bream

Around 25 years back, I was a mad keen flyfisherman. It was pretty much the only fishing I did in those days. I was particularly interested in saltwater flyfishing.

Anyway, when my kids came along and I had to work hard to pay off the mortgage, my fishing took a backseat for years. When the kids were little I took up lure fishing for bream, as it was easier than flyfishing for them learn. That's when my passion for catching bream on lures really took off.

Now the kids are adults and I find that I'm thinking more and more about flyfishing again. I have lots of leisure time on my hands now that I have retired. I will always love catching bream on lures, but now there's time to do both.

I'm really enjoying my flyfishing. It's something pretty special when you manage to catch a decent fish on a fly you've made yourself. It's also great fun and also very satisfying tying your own flies.

I was just wondering how many other forum members like to dabble in a bit of flyfishing from time to time.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:12 AM
Big Bream

the problem with fly fishing (for me anyway) is learning how to do it (casting) I have three fly rods that go unused because I don't know how to use them (despite knowing several people who do fly fish). The common reason for the lack of assistance is "get professional lessons, so I don't show you the wrong things" could be right I just don't know.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:34 AM
Blue Lip

Still have my 6 wt.
Originally bought as a side activity on a trip to NZ north is, and ended up almost hooking a trout until i had tip wrap at the inopportune moment. Then it's just been repeat of the same story since: Pulling a fly out of a good GT's mouth as I saw it come up to grab it. And generally not catching fish.

Find it a bit hard to manage in windy conditions, or landbased where things get caught on the line. Probably a bit awkard throwing a 9 ft rod on a small kayak as well, so just haven't found the motivation to get over those hurdles.

All the gear, no idea
Old 06-01-2018, 05:44 AM
Poddy Bream

Spent a bit of time here and NewZealand fly fishing. Like everything I do it was not a half measures thing, Did fresh and salt water at Bermagui and Apollo Bay.

Cant remember now why I quit, suspect it may have been through frustration, the excitement of tuna and albacore paled trout to shadows. Sadly a FinNor 12/14 was way out of my reach.

Bream would be a challenge, but I hear Cod calling, hopefully I will resist😎
Old 06-01-2018, 06:53 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Osborne View Post
the problem with fly fishing (for me anyway) is learning how to do it (casting) I have three fly rods that go unused because I don't know how to use them (despite knowing several people who do fly fish). The common reason for the lack of assistance is "get professional lessons, so I don't show you the wrong things" could be right I just don't know.
I'm a very ordinary caster. I'm sure I have many faults as I was only self taught. The thing is though, I can manage to cast a reasonable distance, usually far enough to get the job done at least and sometimes I can even be fairly accurate too, but most importantly I only rarely pin myself with my fly these days.

I was fly casting on the flats at Marlo one day and a young guy flicking lures worked his way along the bank towards me. We spoke for a while. I was feeling a little embarrassed about my lousy casting and I was surprised when he said, "I was watching you and man, it looks so graceful". I impressed someone at least, but I'm sure my ordinary casting wouldn't be very impressive to an experienced flyfisherman.

If I was you, I would just give it a go. The worst thing that might happen is that you could ingrain some basic faults into your casting technique. You might turn out to be a natural and you only get better with practice.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:47 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
I'm a very ordinary caster. I'm sure I have many faults as I was only self taught. The thing is though, I can manage to cast a reasonable distance, usually far enough to get the job done at least and sometimes I can even be fairly accurate too, but most importantly I only rarely pin myself with my fly these days.

I was fly casting on the flats at Marlo one day and a young guy flicking lures worked his way along the bank towards me. We spoke for a while. I was feeling a little embarrassed about my lousy casting and I was surprised when he said, "I was watching you and man, it looks so graceful". I impressed someone at least, but I'm sure my ordinary casting wouldn't be very impressive to an experienced flyfisherman.

If I was you, I would just give it a go. The worst thing that might happen is that you could ingrain some basic faults into your casting technique. You might turn out to be a natural and you only get better with practice.
Agree, have a go google Lefty Kreh he is an excellent teacher, would have made learning a lot faster had youtube been around.

Spent hours developing skills to long cast and caught everything within the length of the fly line!! Did not even have to shoot backing for tuna or salmon.
Key to salt water is stealth, need to be as water smart in the brine as the fresh.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:32 PM
Mature Bream

Hey John,
You have a fantastic saltwater fly fishing club near by.
http://saltwaterflyrodders.com.au/wp/
Check them out. Great group of guys who are all so willing to help and share their info. There is also a certified casting instructor in the club who offers free casting lessions to club members before the monthly meeting.
For anyone else new to fly fishing my advise is to hook up with a club and get some casting lessons. When you're on the water you then only need to concentrate on fishing and the casting will become second nature.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:29 AM
Big Bream

I fly fish in both salt & fresh, great chasing the break and an EP comes along. Couple of small streams in gippy I regularly fish, in winter it’s a great sport with the salmon.

John, a good start is your local park, short cast at a gentle waving of the rod.

Some links to help you or join a local club.

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-...od-needs-to-do

http://www.flyandspincasting.com/FlyCasting.html
Old 09-01-2018, 02:32 AM
Big Bream

I've just started to get back into Fly Casting recently the creek right next to where Iam building a house is loaded with Carp.

My personal thoughts are Bream are easy to catch if Iam going to go to the effort of Casting 4 times to retrieve once I want something that's going to atleast pull hard .
Old 09-01-2018, 03:04 AM
Big Bream

Lol I have now rigged one of my rods to have a concerted effort after the comments on this thread, thanks guys.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:56 AM
Big Bream

An honest tip from me , Leave everything else at home.
I've found if you have standard gear , 10 minutes and you will go back to it without really putting in the effort .

Be prepared to fish harder for less fish .
Old 09-01-2018, 05:54 AM
Mature Bream

+1
Old 10-01-2018, 08:41 PM
Mature Bream

Well I'm pretty passionate about SWOFFing. In fact it's easily my strongest passion in fishing. I have a young family, and a few close mates who fish, so that means I also bait fish and lure fish regularly too. I've had 3 trips to Hinchinbrook and am lucky enough to have a SWOFFing trip booked to Weipa later this year
I started fly fishing about 20-25yrs ago, freshwater for trout in Vic. Got casting lessons at the start (GVFFC), and regular ones since. Used to do 8-10 weekend trips each summer to the high county before marriage/kids. Regular summer trips to Mallacoota made it easy to think about SWOFFing, I used to wade the flats in the bottom lake for flatties etc. About 9 years ago I got a decent little sports fishing boat, and also started getting into Bream on Lures.
So Bream on Fly was a natural progression. I'm nuts about it, mainly because the b@st@rd of a things drive me nuts on Fly
I tie my own flies, and still struggle for consistent success My past success had mainly been based around the odd fish here and there. Mainly fish east Gippsland. Have pretty much decided I'm gonna do a 3-week solo trip in Feb 2019 to Gippy, with just the fly gear and the boat, to break the hoodoo.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:10 AM
Mature Bream

Can't say I'm really into fly fishing just yet. Got a cheap combo two years ago, learnt how to cast from Youtube and then took it to the river a few times and caught a few bream. Haven't touched it since. Maybe in the future, I'll go back to it.
Old 16-01-2018, 09:47 AM
Big Bream

Thanks Windknot for starting this post, and thanks Ratbags for the video links, spent a while in the paddock today practicing my casting and went from bad to not to bad, cheers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: