Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Fishing Holidays > Locations

Locations Where to Go on That Next Trip

Old 01-07-2015, 04:29 PM
Big Bream

phuket/ kho samui fishing

hey guys,
I have a trip to Phuket and kho samui at the end of the year.

just wondering if anyone has fished these spots. im not sure what gear to take, as the net only talks of gamefishing [im just not interested in trolling all over the ocean].

I imagine there should be trevallies and reef types that may be jigged or popped around headlands etc but the thai people are probably armed to the teeth with nets, so ,not sure what to expect.

any info would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
cheers bomb
spinnerbaiting yellowbelly
suspending minnows on bass
jigging kingfish
flyfishing for bonito
fizzer fishing barra/goodoo
Old 01-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Blue Lip

I would just enjoy that area by the pool with a beer and do a dedicated trip somewhere else. Im just south of phuket at the end of August for a wedding but taking a few days to fish with bkkfishingtours for wild giant snakehead on fly north of bangkok. Flights within thailand are crazy cheap and the 2 days fishing is well priced too. You could look at something like that or a jungle stream trip chasing mahseer which is what I originally wanted to do (bloody wet season killed that idea!)

http://thai-fishing.com/mahseer-fly-fishing.html
http://www.bkkfishingtour.com/
Old 01-07-2015, 11:06 PM
Mature Bream

If you want to pay and fish in a bathtub theres fishing ponds on phuket and koh samui. I think its called sabai lake in phuket is ok buf youl get plauged by pacu. Topcats on koh samui is chokas with big mekongs, very good chance at a redtail or an arapaima.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:08 AM
Big Bream

hey brad.
cheers for your thoughts mate. we have a few days in Bangkok also, and a trip to the north is on for me flyfishing for barra or snakeheads or something. i'll be interested to see how you go!

hey benny
thanks mate, it sounds like pond fishing all the way. not sure that will hold my interest for too long. the pacu are like a piranha[?] I think.will the mekongs and redtails take flies or lures ,do you know? wouldn't mind getting a few of those, but lying around the pool would be more fun than bait fishing for them. lol

thanks guys
cheers bomb
jigging kingfish
flyfishing for bonito
Old 02-07-2015, 07:50 PM
Blue Lip

Pacu on a 1/2 & 1/2 #4 convict tilapia colours http://www.breammaster.com/forum/att...1&d=1304161114
Old 02-07-2015, 08:53 PM
Mature Bream

Samui has a big pond full of ENORMOUS fish but they use bait, the guide then hooks the fish, hands rod over to tourist... good place to get hot, sweaty and drunk but a bit dull for a real fisho.

There are trevally and silvery jack/moses perch looking fish in the reefs close to the resorts and no one else fishes there so you can have some fun. Anything big has been cooked up generations ago but the look of amazement from the locals when you catch something is worth it's weight in gold!!

Most of the life has been ripped from the coastline a long time ago, just keep your expectations low and you will be fine. If you are brave you can target the big things in the canals in Bangkok. The water is terrible but the big things are big and mean and no one else fishes for them.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:02 AM
Big Bream

thanks ftp, pretty much what I thought I might hear in regards to the fishing. its a trip for my wifes birthday, so, yeah will keep expectations low. cheers mate.

hey 4 weight , I remember your trip to Bangkok when you posted pics of your fish. might pm you for some info on where, how and what with.

cheers
bomb
jigging kingfish
flyfishing for bonito
Old 03-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Mature Bream

That Pacu would be bait for some of the big things in BKK canals. Seriously, the striped and the Mekong catfish in those canals are freaking enormous and no one really targets them. Swap a huge fish for a tuk-tuk tour of BKK

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: