Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 06-05-2003, 07:33 AM
Mature Bream

Questions from a newbie!!

G'day all, great site, heaps of info.

But just a couple of questions from a novice.

Have only just got into breamin, and have had success on hardbodys but havent quite cracked the plastics yet. That doesnt bother me as im happy fishing hardbodys for the moment.

First question is, how many of you crush the barbs on your trebles?
The only reason i ask is because while fishing in the canning today with a friend, i scored a chemicaly sharpened treble in my finger due to a waywayd cast from my mate (OUCH!!!)

Also, how many of you fish the canning???
The site has truckloads of information regarding the swan, but it seems that not as many ppl fish the canning???
Like i said, im new to the sport, and live south of the river, so the canning is a convinient spot to fish.

My mate and i scored 9 in all today. Most were littlies around 20-25cm, but my mate scored a 37cm honker!!, beginners luck i reckon!!

Anyway, cheers for now guys and gals, and thanks in advance.

MATT
Old 06-05-2003, 07:53 AM
Mature Bream

Welcome mate,

Firstly I haven't had any unfortunate wayward treble accidents to make me want to crush the bards - as that would be my only reason...except for one cast a week or so ago that missed a target and hooked a big bear on a boat in the arse ! Nev can verify the story...as can the poor fella who copped it .

I fish the canning a little (I live 5 minutes away) and I've fished the canning bridge with a couple of guy's...so there are some who fish it! Just have to ask and I'm sure some one would have a shore bash some time with ya! Just PM me some time!

Herds
Old 06-05-2003, 08:10 AM
Mature Bream

G'day Herds, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the fingers still throbbin, and i couldnt help but think at the time that i could have prevented most of the pain with a simple crushing of the barbs before use, however, i wouldnt want to decrease my chances of landing that mega bream which is just round the corner!!!!! ( I wish)

As for the canning, i fish from my boat, but would love to have a crack from shore.
The fish where we fish (the sticks) seem to only average about 25cm, except for one we caught today, so im beginning to think that it might only hold large numbers of small fish, with the larger specimens migrating to nearby, possibly deeper waters, as the sticks area is only shallow.

Ill keep tryin, and give the swan a crack as soon as ive got the time.

Thanks again.

MATT
Old 06-05-2003, 08:35 AM
Blue Lip

Matt, I fished that spot a couple of weekends ago. Hit it on a Friday, got some absolute hooters, got smoked by large unknowns, basically had a whale of a time. Shot my mouth off to a mate about how good it was and went back the next day for the paltry score of 3 flatties and an undersize black. You just never can tell which day its going to be.

In regard to crushing barbs on trebles, I am aware of only one reason for this and that is simply that the treble comes out of things easier be that a person or a fish
Old 06-05-2003, 08:39 AM
Mature Bream

NOthin wrong with small fish, jus as long as you lighten your gear to accommodate them!

Riley
Old 06-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Mature Bream

Lightbulb Wapole = new thoughts

Since the much discussed Wapole round it has occured to a few (if not many) to broarden your thoughts about where to fish...the Canning have a few flats around the sticks area don't they..???

Herds
Old 07-05-2003, 01:16 AM
Mature Bream

G'day fellas,

Craig, Interesting to note that u got into a few biggies in the canning, i have found it fishes better on a higher tide, when theres plenty of water covering the sticks. Have fished it a low water and have only ever caught littlies at the time. Im still gunna keep bashin it, coz i know theres some bigguns in there. A mate of mine has caught some 40cm+ fish on bait.

Riley, there sure isnt anything wrong with small fish. Right now im fishin 4kilo braid, but its too heavy, so im gunna invest in a dedicated bream outfit and probably fish 2 or 3 kilo.

Herds, Most of the area around the sticks area is very shallow, thus would probably provide prime flats fishing for bream. As yet i havent really dragged myself away from casting right into the sticks, as its the place where i have caught all my fish. Ive just got to be patient enough to try somewhere new!!!!!
Ill probably give it a crack tomorrow.

Thanks guys
Old 07-05-2003, 03:51 AM

Gday Matt.
I have fished the Canning for the last year or so. There are certainly some horses around the area! My best is 44.5cm so they are there!
I am currently trying some new methods at targetting the bigger fish and missing the smaller ones. Results are very promising, as I got smoked 3 times in 5 casts the other day!!!
PM if you ever wanna go shorebased!

Dave