Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Leader

Leader What type, what weight, what length, etc.

Old 15-01-2015, 04:15 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbrimin View Post
Can i ask how long it takes to tie this knot ?? from the guys who tie it all the time ???
When i started around 5-7 minutes, can get it down to about 2 minutes now, just takes practice.
Old 15-01-2015, 06:05 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha View Post
When i started around 5-7 minutes, can get it down to about 2 minutes now, just takes practice.
Just wanted to know as its a subject i just dont get
Not sure of the name of the leader knot i tie but it takes about 20secs to tie and it never fails me. Up to 12lb leader it still goes through the micro's with no probs. Constantly reading threads on here about leader knots and different ones that confuse me more than my wife explaining our credit card bill
Old 15-01-2015, 07:08 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Not sure of the name of the leader knot i tie but it takes about 20secs to tie and it never fails me. Up to 12lb leader it still goes through the micro's with no probs. Constantly reading threads on here about leader knots and different ones that confuse me more than my wife explaining our credit card bill
I'm with you mate! Except I still need a knot for upto 12lb which isn't a double Uni.

Follow my fishing travels on Facebook
Old 15-01-2015, 07:09 PM
Mature Bream

Hey guys, I'm getting the hang of tieing the FG knot from my 14lb braid to 20lb leader. It seems like a real strong, neat knot that I'm tieing but when I'm testing it out it breaks at the knot,but it leaves it mostly in tact (except for the half hitches). Is this a case of the braid breaking or a poor knot?
Old 15-01-2015, 08:26 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

It sounds like alot of blokes dont actually need to use an FG.

If you have never felt the urge to change your knot - dont. They're a pain in the arse to tie and if you've never felt your knots would be better if they were stronger and passed through the guides more easily - then there is no problem to fix.

I started to tie them because I was unhappy with my knots clunking through the guides and breaking too easily. I was fishing for big fish and wanted to make sure I was doing everything possible to land them.

But after a while I started seeing problems with my light tackle knots aswell. Its now got to the point, where I feel I am cheating myself if I dont tie an fg - what ever the breaking strain.

But there are certain scenarios where I know a double uni or surgeons loop would be more than adequate. Those knots have proven themselves over many years to be up to the task in many fishing scenarios.

But I also know that an FG would out perform both those knots in the same scenario.

I dont think anyone ties such an intricate knot to be cool - They tie them because it works
Old 15-01-2015, 08:51 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post

I dont think anyone ties such an intricate knot to be cool - They tie them because it works
Wasn't what i was getting at if you were refering to my comment. I think for the people that have tried other knots and the FG is the one they can rely on then go for it. Just feel a bit sorry for the guys that are new to it all and are trying to master Knots that take minutes to do , thinking that it is needed to land a prize fish....
Old 15-01-2015, 08:57 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Wasn't what i was getting at if you were refering to my comment. I think for the people that have tried other knots and the FG is the one they can rely on then go for it. Just feel a bit sorry for the guys that are new to it all and are trying to master Knots that take minutes to do , thinking that it is needed to land a prize fish....
Nah wasnt singling anyone out. Everyone struggles with the FG the first 100 times they tie it
Old 15-01-2015, 10:39 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Quote:
'Just wanted to Know' what exactly

I thought my knots where great too before changing, I think over time we just know from experience how far we can push certain leader connections before they go ping, it's not until you learn a new better knot that you realise much more pressure can be applied to the same pound line before it goes ping.
Old 16-01-2015, 12:46 AM
Mature Bream

I think knot tying time with the FG is equal to a slim beauty etc. Sure each knot takes longer but I guarantee you will tie less of em.
Old 16-01-2015, 01:20 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Can you show us your knot or provide links to youtube or pics?

Monster Miki Addict
Old 16-01-2015, 01:37 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Can you show us your knot or provide links to youtube or pics?
Will see what i can find if i get time. Was shown to me years ago by a guy at Mallacoota and never known the name or anything. May be a popular one or a home made job
Old 16-01-2015, 01:41 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha View Post
'Just wanted to Know' what exactly

I thought my knots where great too before changing, I think over time we just know from experience how far we can push certain leader connections before they go ping, it's not until you learn a new better knot that you realise much more pressure can be applied to the same pound line before it goes ping.
"Just wanted to know" how long it takes people on the water ??
I only really fish for estuary species, Bass and occasionally Snapper but in saying i just use the drag to compensate for lack of knot tying ability , i dont think is right. Pulled some big EP's, Bass And Bream out of structure with a locked drag and have never had a leader knot fail me
Old 16-01-2015, 01:45 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Will see what i can find if i get time. Was shown to me years ago by a guy at Mallacoota and never known the name or anything. May be a popular one or a home made job
Sounds interesting. See if you can find more. I like all kind of knots

Cheers

Monster Miki Addict
Old 16-01-2015, 07:13 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Nah wasnt singling anyone out. Everyone struggles with the FG the first 100 times they tie it
Actually after I tied it once I had it down pat. I seem to just pick up fishing knots really quickly, a little talent of mine haha
Old 16-01-2015, 07:34 AM
Big Bream

I use the FG a lot, especially for racks and heavy structure fishing where you need to lock the drag up. I was recently fishing the ABT grand final and got paired with Russell Babekuhl on day 1, he pulled a 42 fork yellow from underneath a pontoon on 4lb leader with a locked drag. I doubt he would of landed it without an FG! At the end of the day it's about confidence in your knots and if you know in the back of your mind you've spent the extra time tying a knot that won't break then it's one less thing that can go wrong when hooked up to a big fish.

Pure Fishing

Follow my team page:

www.facebook.com/toddrichesfishing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: