Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Jigs

Jigs Want to find out which jigs perform best, drop in here…
Gamakatsu, Slider, Ecogear, Nitro, Assassin...

Old 17-05-2006, 06:13 AM
Big Bream

Home Made Jigheads

Hi everyone,

I don't know how many of you make your own jigheads, but, for those who do, I have something interesting that you may wish to know. The only reason why I make my own, apart from buying the ones I need from 1/8 oz upwards, is price.

My thinking is, if I can make 50 jigheads for $8.00, then, that's a sure bargain. I use mainly mustard aberdeen No. 2 jig hooks to make my breambo jigheads. And for those little pinkies in the bay I use No. 1 or 1/0.

Well, enough procrastination, here's the info you may be interested in:

0 split shot = 0.870g (~1/30-1/32oz)
1 split shot = 1.410g (~1/16-1/18oz)
2 split shot = 2.602g (~1/10-1/12oz)

Yep, I was that obssessed I got them weighed on a micro-weighted scales in the lab.

Just thought I'd pass this on if anyone was interested.

Happy Fishing
Member of the IFFF Fly Tying Group

Martin Luther King Jr (1963) said, "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but when he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

"Limit your catch....... Don't catch your Limit"
Old 17-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Blue Lip

Yeah, I'm interested Kamikazeghost, but I don't see you taking this anywhere further than the crimped split shot on a hook jighead.

I've done a fair bit of such experimentation, and found that the hardness of the lead varies a huge amount, and the need for a keeper makes the whole issue a bit more costly (time wise) than regular jigheads.

Ted..
Old 17-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Blue Lip

Also, to add to that, Size 3 split shots weigh about 1/6 oz.

Depending on where you get your split shots, the size number and weights also vary. I've had a pack say size 4 which is a bigger size number than that I've found elsewhere, but when I measured it, it was only 1/8 oz which is smaller than the other size 3s I got.
I'm interested in split shots heavier than 1/6 oz and I've not been able to find them anywhere (and I've looked in plenty) so if anyone knows where I can get 1/4 oz or 1/2 oz split shots, please let me know.
Old 17-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Blue Lip

Where can you get the 90 degree bend jig hooks to buy?

As said before, the various lead used by different manufacturers and their different sizing makes life a bit of a hassle. In the UK, lead weights less than 1 oz are banned, so the non toxic tungsten alloy split shot have become very widely used. They are harder and hold their shape better when crimped. In particular the egg shaped shot may be of interest.
Old 18-05-2006, 02:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Shortlite
Where can you get the 90 degree bend jig hooks to buy?
Gladiator make decent 90 degree jig hooks but you might have to order them because they're not often found in the stores that I visit.

But I do fine with the mustad aberdeen hooks. Be careful not to bend them too much orelse they will snap clean.
Old 18-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Big Bream

HI guys,

I found split shots that crimp really nicely onto the hooks and don't have any problems with. But I guess in different states, they'll be different to a degree, so I guess it's a matter of looking around.

I used to also crimp on half a cut down staple to hold the plastic but as expected it cut the plastic too much and was only good for a couple of fish or so.

Now, as I tie flies now and again, and don't know why I didn't do this ages ago, is tie fly thread around to make a lump that holds the plastic really well without damaging the plastic at all.

I've been doing this for ages and works to a treat. I wish I knew the lead in the split shot that I'm getting so I could pass it on to you all, but unfortunately, all I know is the lead is not too soft and not too hard, and doesn't distort much at all when crimped on. It holds it shape very well indeed.

The beauty up here in QLD, is that a lot of tackle stores hold them. Yes, gladiator has them, mustad and gamakatsu have a good solid range.

Ahhh........ the size 3 is around 1/6...... hmmm...... haven't used that yet. I mite go get some and tie some up.

For me, it certainly has worked out for the better.

Martin Luther King Jr (1963) said, "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but when he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Old 18-05-2006, 11:15 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Do you guys have any photos of the finished product.
Old 18-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Big Bream

Hi Yellow door. I could get a photo to post it.........

Just give me a few days though. I"m not going to be home as I"m off fishing for the wk'end...... chasing mack tuna on breambo gear. That's gonna be fun.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Mature Bream

i do mine home made jig heads also with 90 degree hooks for hiden weight. i use the 07 led wire and tie it around the hook shapf then i thred little flie trhed and a drop of strong glue . the work perfect.. also the split shot is working just as good ..
Old 24-02-2016, 02:58 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

I had to come up with some jigheads that were short, light and could handle 12lb leaders, the other day.

All my light breaming jigheads were too flimsy - so I just went with some sturdy bait hooks and a split shot. Confidence in my tackle was restored and I could start dictating terms to the fish instead of the other way round
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3940.jpg (86.9 KB, 187 views)
Old 24-02-2016, 09:09 PM
Mature Bream

yep, make my own jigheads but put a drop of epoxy in the split shot before crimping down also the thread keeper idea works well I use two keepers instead of one also if you leave a tag of thread from the keeper it acts like a barb to hold your plastic better.
Old 25-02-2016, 11:23 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
I had to come up with some jigheads that were short, light and could handle 12lb leaders, the other day.

All my light breaming jigheads were too flimsy - so I just went with some sturdy bait hooks and a split shot. Confidence in my tackle was restored and I could start dictating terms to the fish instead of the other way round
here's the scenario I was talking about

Old 25-02-2016, 11:25 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucker View Post
yep, make my own jigheads but put a drop of epoxy in the split shot before crimping down also the thread keeper idea works well I use two keepers instead of one also if you leave a tag of thread from the keeper it acts like a barb to hold your plastic better.
I'd love to see a pic if you get the chance
Old 25-02-2016, 11:41 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Heres some pics I found while googling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3930.jpg (51.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 3929.jpg (66.8 KB, 105 views)
Old 25-02-2016, 11:42 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3928.jpg (7.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 3926.jpg (5.2 KB, 102 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: