Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Big Bream

Hi All

Some interesting comments there guys - to give you a bit of history about the Edge Rods - Gary Loomis has designed these rods for anglers that want the next step in rods , as he did with Loomis he is setting a new bench mark. I have fished with all the models that are available to the Aussie fishing fraternity from the fwr 701 with 2lb straight through to the ISR 708 on big goldens over offshore wrecks. The sensitivity and ultra light weight really needs to be seen and felt to be believed. The drop shot 6100 is so sensitive that I actually struck the first time I fished a jig head rig head plastic and it hit the bottom. The fwr series are the main choice for Bream fisherman wanting the finesse approach for crank baiting or floro straight through. They have a slightly more medium action to prohibit pulling hooks.The ISR range is a slightly different build with the softer tip and a stronger mid section - only slightly different to the FWR series but as mentioned previously here - some guys prefer a stiffer rod to others and Gary Loomis knows this and has designed these rods to suit. Then there is the Drop shot 6100 spin - it is the nicest rod I have used. I was previously a GLoomis pro staff angler with EJ Todd for 5 years and my all time favourite rod was the dsr 820 glx followed by the Tsr - this rod is a step up again. It is the most popular model as when people pick it up it sells itself , but when you put a reel on it and fish it then you really appreciate it's design and the reason for its price quite quickly becomes apparent !!!

Hope this helps

Regards

Old 02-04-2014, 11:08 PM
Mature Bream

Totally agree with Toby. I recently got the pleasure of fishing with a fair few Edge rods and they are sensational. Super light, loads of power and really responsive. The feeling and sensitivity is like nothing else. The 664 model is a lovely light plastics style rod. I ran 3lb straight thru over the FW702 with no probs and have also run PE through it. Its now my allrounder.

The ISR series were great when throwing topwater. but as others have mentioned, you gotta fish with these things to feel them.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:09 AM
Blue Lip

These rods use the NFC blanks, right? If so, which NFC blank is used? From my understanding, there are three different types - SM, IM and HM.

Taken from the NFC site:

SM: An all-around workhorse material that offers a solid, reliable balance of performance and durability. Well-proven and makes for a serious fish-catching tool.

IM: The core material at NFC. Our IM provides a performance level that “punches above its weight,” while still having “everyday” fishing toughness. IM is a great choice for a wide range of blanks.

HM: When even our IM isn't good enough. This is a high-modulus, Paper Carbon Scrim (PCS) material that creates a truly exceptional blank. Want the best possible performance from your blank? Here you go.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:18 AM
Big Bream

Chris

The majority of the Edge rods we bring in come on HM blanks -The model of blanks are clearly marked on the rod. To get the slightly slower taper in some of the models they drop down to the IM material which when you pick it up will find it very hard to tell the difference

Regards

Old 03-04-2014, 04:01 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-Tec View Post
Hi All

Some interesting comments there guys - to give you a bit of history about the Edge Rods - Gary Loomis has designed these rods for anglers that want the next step in rods , as he did with Loomis he is setting a new bench mark. I have fished with all the models that are available to the Aussie fishing fraternity from the fwr 701 with 2lb straight through to the ISR 708 on big goldens over offshore wrecks. The sensitivity and ultra light weight really needs to be seen and felt to be believed. The drop shot 6100 is so sensitive that I actually struck the first time I fished a jig head rig head plastic and it hit the bottom. The fwr series are the main choice for Bream fisherman wanting the finesse approach for crank baiting or floro straight through. They have a slightly more medium action to prohibit pulling hooks.The ISR range is a slightly different build with the softer tip and a stronger mid section - only slightly different to the FWR series but as mentioned previously here - some guys prefer a stiffer rod to others and Gary Loomis knows this and has designed these rods to suit. Then there is the Drop shot 6100 spin - it is the nicest rod I have used. I was previously a GLoomis pro staff angler with EJ Todd for 5 years and my all time favourite rod was the dsr 820 glx followed by the Tsr - this rod is a step up again. It is the most popular model as when people pick it up it sells itself , but when you put a reel on it and fish it then you really appreciate it's design and the reason for its price quite quickly becomes apparent !!!

Hope this helps

Regards
Thanks for the info mate! But it sounds like ive got more to consider than just the FWR702. Hopefully when i go take a look at these they at least have the FWR702, one in an ISR and also that 6100 to compare. With a bit of luck one will suit what i like as an "all-rounder".

Are the cork handle versions cheaper than the graphite versions?
Old 03-04-2014, 04:23 AM
Big Bream

Hopefully FishTec can answer this, but does ISR and FWR stand for InShore Rod/Range and Fresh Water Rod/Range respectively?
I understand the DSR6100 is designed as a Drop Shot Rod in the 'States', so I'm just following the pattern I guess.

Want one of these babies so bad but I can't justify at this stage (that is to my better half... I've already justified I need one to myself lol)... perhaps at the end of this year.

Will definitely have a look at these next time I'm down at Sporty's on holidays. Also I'm unsure if these will be available in cork grip? I understand they can be bought custom from Edge if over in the US though.

Last edited by Yellafella; 03-04-2014 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:03 AM
Big Bream

Yellafella

That is correct - we are also getting an Australian range made that will be called the Southern Cross Range. Slightly different guide configuration- designed to suit our fish a bit more.

Cheers

Old 05-04-2014, 05:07 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-Tec View Post
Yellafella

That is correct - we are also getting an Australian range made that will be called the Southern Cross Range. Slightly different guide configuration- designed to suit our fish a bit more.

Cheers
When do you expect these?
Old 05-04-2014, 07:08 AM
Blue Lip

Will they have k-guides ?

Australian Designed and Owned
Old 05-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Blue Lip

I think the spin rods run black recoils like the ones on the top half of the nrx, is that true??
Cheers Matt
Old 05-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Mature Bream

Mine has the recoils, same as the NRXs.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Mature Bream

Will they have larger guides?
Old 05-04-2014, 07:36 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by I I Wish View Post
Will they have larger guides?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeye View Post
Will they have k-guides ?
Reading some of these questions I can't help remembering what someone once said.. "you know one of those ice cream trucks that offer 25 different flavours of ice-cream? There's always a kid that comes along and asks for flavour that you don't have...."

I suppose for the money they're asking for, you're entitled to ask for these..

Personally, I won't be close to affording any of these unless they appear on the classifieds, but I sure hope they have k guides. Last weekend I had a horror of a time when my Sunline egi (superthin) braid kept tangling with the guides on my DSR820 GLX and not just the stripper guide. In fact, I hardly got tangles on the stripper guide. A number of them tangled with the 3rd and 4th guide down from the tip. I can sure see the advantage of k guides there. None of my rods have k guides so its back to the 4 strand braid for me until I get something with k guides.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:54 PM
Blue Lip

Not exactly sure i get the ice-cream analogy. Just questions about the existing specs of these rods... Anyway, the ones i played with were either full recoil (black) or recoils with k stripper. The DSR was a stunning rod!! And the more i think about the FWR702-2 the more i want it!!!!

Your right though chunqx they aint cheap! But considering the prices on the Edge webpage and what they are retailing for here i think they've priced them pretty fairly. Still expensive but they aint cheap to begin with!

Im just not sure id like recoils....

What type of braid do you have the most trouble running through recoils CHUNQX?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by manno View Post
What type of braid do you have the most trouble running through recoils CHUNQX?
I believe its the sunline PE-Egi HG...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: