Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 27-09-2010, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Swearing any which way

I should not even have to say this but if you swear, and I do not care how it is spelt you will be deleted...

A few have gone already today and a lot of you are lucky that I miss a lot of it.

It is in the rules so it should be no surprise.

Ian.
Old 27-09-2010, 05:49 AM
Blue Lip

Ian, Could you please list what is classed as swearing

But in all seriousness, people definitely have to understand that this forum is viewed by many young anglers too, and a little more caution needs to be taken in what you say, We've all slipped up before but those few repeat offenders know exactly who they are.
Old 27-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnowMan View Post
Ian, Could you please list what is classed as swearing

But in all seriousness, people definitely have to understand that this forum is viewed by many young anglers too, and a little more caution needs to be taken in what you say, We've all slipped up before but those few repeat offenders know exactly who they are.
It would be fair to say that if you have to write a word like t-h-i-s because otherwise the forum changes it to dohdohdoh then that would be a swear word.

I'm no moderator and can't speak for the moderators but I would have thought that the expectation is that people think twice when they post and use a bit of common sense. Wouldn't have thought you would need more explanation than that. I would have thought that it was more the principal of it so a list of bad words would only enable those that like to tread on the line to have some fun.
Old 27-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Boyle View Post
I would have thought that it was more the principal of it so a list of bad words would only enable those that like to tread on the line to have some fun.
I emphasize the "".. It was a light hearted joke
Old 27-09-2010, 07:07 AM
Big Bream

my first encounter with the swear filter was when I posted a report on "Peac0ck bass"
Old 27-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Big Bream

like that britney song about that amy chick
Old 28-09-2010, 02:55 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
I would have thought that the expectation is that people think twice when they post and use a bit of common sense.
The following I think sums it up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Common-Sense.jpg (33.4 KB, 1308 views)
Old 28-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Big Bream

Where's captain obvious?
Old 01-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Administrator

We have lost quite a few members in a very short time, please cut out the swearing. It is not a big ask and now I feel like a broken record.

Fielding phone calls and e mails from upset parents is not the best way to make my day, as you can well imagine.

@#$% and Dohdoh get the intention across just fine.

Ian.
Old 25-07-2017, 06:26 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
It would be fair to say that if you have to write a word like t-h-i-s because otherwise the forum changes it to dohdohdoh then that would be a swear word.

I'm no moderator and can't speak for the moderators but I would have thought that the expectation is that people think twice when they post and use a bit of common sense. Wouldn't have thought you would need more explanation than that. I would have thought that it was more the principal of it so a list of bad words would only enable those that like to tread on the line to have some fun.
Apparently B-C-F is a swear word ���� LMAO, love it

MHX 720 Custom 6'
Shimano Sienna 1000
Glide Reflections modified

RIP(on the bottom of the Collie River)
Shimano Bushy Lurelegend 5'10"
Daiwa Sweepfire 2500
Old 26-07-2017, 02:57 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie Yak View Post
Apparently B-C-F is a swear word ���� LMAO, love it
Its to protect site chattels and site sponsorship.

However the use of profanities - before the nanny state and the snowflake clause of society piped it and said that it offended their feelings it was legitimate to use in every day structures.

If I had the time or absolute care I could go on and reference and properly cite the sh*t out of it to discredit the snowflake society of today with the no swearing clauses - hey I used it myself in my own FB group, no one seems to listen to it anyhow. However some people cant stop using swear words in their sentences, they seem to poorly use them like full stops and commas.

Why Do We Swear? By John M. Grohol, Psy.D.
~ 3 min read
Why do people swear? Why does using a swear word make us feel better? How do we choose which word we use?

Luckily for you, the Association of Psychological Science’s Perspectives on Psychological Science just published an article that answers these important scientific questions in an article by Timothy Jay (2009). If swear words hurt your eyes, you may want to stop reading now.

Jay notes that swear words (or taboo words, as he calls them) can include sexual references (DohDohDohDoh), those that are profane or blasphemous (goddamn), scatological or disgusting objects (DohDohDohDoh), animal names (pig, ass), ethnic/racial/gender slurs (fag), ancestral allusions (bastard), substandard vulgar terms and offensive slang. Taboo words can be mildly offensive to extremely offensive, and people will often use a more mild euphemism to replace a swear word when in mixed (or unknown) company.

How do we choose what word to use and when? We make choices about which word to use depending upon the company we’re in, and what our relationship is to that company, as well as the social setting. We’re more apt to use less offensive terms in mixed company or in settings where more offensive swear words might result in recrimination (such as work). For instance, people are more comfortable and are more likely to use technical terms for sexual references in mixed crowds, and to reserve the taboo words for same sex crowds or with their sexual partner. Most people feel uncomfortable saying, “DohDohDohDoh” in a business or public crowd, instead falling back on less offensive words like, “Damnit.”

As Jay notes, “Swearing is like using the horn on your car, which can be used to signify a number of emotions (e.g., anger, frustration, joy, surprise).”

Taboo words can be used for a variety of reasons, including to achieve a specific reaction from others. Swearing injects a direct, succinct emotional component into the discussion, usually in order to express frustration, anger or surprise (up to two-thirds of our swearing is for just such expressions). These insulting swears can be name calling or wishing someone harm, so it’s no wonder they are often a defining feature of hate speech, verbal abuse, sexual harassment and obscene phone calls.

Swearing is beneficial in ways that people may underestimate or take for granted. Swearing is often cathartic — it often frees us of the feelings of anger or frustration we hold and allows expression for them. It can also be a useful substitute to physical violence (who would rather be punched out than to withstand being sworn at?).

Swear words can also be used in a more positive manner, in the form of jokes and humor, sex talk, storytelling, self-deprecation or even social commentary. Imagine when you want to emphasize how great you feel something is, a swear words emphasizes the positive feelings you have for that object, situation, person or event (“This concert is DohDohDohDohing awesome!”). Sure, we could just say “This concert is awesome,” but the addition of the swear word emphasizes the emotional reaction we have toward it — and easily conveys that emotional reaction to others.

Virtually all people swear, and people swear pretty consistently throughout their lifetime — from the moment they can speak to the day they die. Swearing is almost a universal constant in most people’s lives. Research, according to Jay, has shown we swear on average from 0.3% to 0.7% of the time — a tiny but significant percentage of our overall speech (frequently-used personal pronouns occur at approximately 1.0% rate in speech). Swearing is more common than you might think. But personality research suggests that people who swear more, not surprisingly, score higher on traits such as extraversion, dominance, hostility and Type A personalities. Swearing is not just for the uneducated or people of a lower socioeconomic class — it knows no social boundaries in its expression.

Swearing is a natural part of human speech development. We learn which words are taboo and which words are not through our normal childhood development. We also learn that not all swear words are equal, as Jay notes — “DohDohDohDoh you! represents a greater level of anger than crap!” We then learn that we may be able to say a swear word in one social context, but not another.

Jay’s article was a bit of an eye-opener for me as well, as I didn’t know that swearing was really as commonplace as he notes, and I never much considered the beneficial effects of swearing. Jay calls on more psychological research to be done on this topic, and after reading his article, I’d have to agree.

Reference:

Jay, T. (2009). The utility and ubiquity of taboo words. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 4(2), 153-161.

https://psychcentral.com/blog/archiv...y-do-we-swear/

Last edited by Slazmo; 26-07-2017 at 03:00 AM.
Old 28-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Blue Lip

Is this what has become of this forum
Old 02-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Big Bream

Reading through this thread its quite clear that swearing is at a zero tolerance level on this site and for most sites for that matter.

But what seems to get my hackles up is some of the threads that are left to continue to roll on where a particular member is getting torn apart.

Im not 100% sure of the name but the name "vlad.... ..." was being torn apart by some fairly borderline racist remarks where a few members saw him as an easy target and jumped on the bandwagon.
Im pretty sure it was about Japanese lures vs Australian lures.
The thread lasted a few pages (which i dont know how) and then up comes a pic directed at the new member that would offend any foreigner if they saw it.
Because frankly it crossed the borderline of racism and to me that is twice as bad as swearing.

I dont know how the mods see racism on this site but that thread was left active just way too long and the main offenders werent even banned or suspended??
So how does swearing compare to racist remarks in these forums is the question i ask ?

Last edited by shano; 02-11-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Fishing Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shano View Post
Reading through this thread its quite clear that swearing is at a zero tolerance level on this site and for most sites for that matter.

But what seems to get my hackles up is some of the threads that are left to continue to roll on where a particular member is getting torn apart.

Im not 100% sure of the name but the name "vlad.... ..." was being torn apart by some fairly borderline racist remarks where a few members saw him as an easy target and jumped on the bandwagon.
Im pretty sure it was about Japanese lures vs Australian lures.
The thread lasted a few pages (which i dont know how) and then up comes a pic directed at the new member that would offend any foreigner if they saw it.
Because frankly it crossed the borderline of racism and to me that is twice as bad as swearing.

I dont know how the mods see racism on this site but that thread was left active just way too long and the main offenders werent even banned or suspended??
So how does swearing compare to racist remarks in these forums is the question i ask ?
We're not mind readers and we don't have time to check EVERY thread. It's up to each member here to let mods know when there is an issue, something that DOES NOT HAPPEN to this day.

If you have an issue with a thread, let a mod know. WE WILL DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg
Old 13-03-2011, 03:34 AM
Fishing Tragic

I shouldn't have to remind members, but please refresh yourselves with this thread. I'd prefer not to remove members, but will if it persists.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: