Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Old 02-08-2016, 02:26 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G factor View Post
I reckon their target market is the people after mid to low range gear who are just getting into luring or want some decent gear without the price tag. And I reckon those people arn't gonna be fussy whether their reel is a 4.8 or 5.2 gear ratio.
Spot on G and i doubt 75% of ligh spin users have higher ratios over lower ratios, nothing wrong with 4.8 but it is true it would be nice to have a few reels in the range with a high gear ratio. Not a fan of the Gen Black reels.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:21 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G factor View Post
I reckon their target market is the people after mid to low range gear who are just getting into luring or want some decent gear without the price tag. And I reckon those people arn't gonna be fussy whether their reel is a 4.8 or 5.2 gear ratio.
We havent got gen black pricing yet but judging by its specs it will be out of the price range of most people who are starting. Looks like it will be built on a caldia and once you add australia tax and daiwa australia design cost.

Price will be unsuitable to most people entering the sport.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:25 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfinfisho View Post
Spot on G and i doubt 75% of ligh spin users have higher ratios over lower ratios, nothing wrong with 4.8 but it is true it would be nice to have a few reels in the range with a high gear ratio. Not a fan of the Gen Black reels.
I didnt say anything was wrong with 4.8 infact i think its spot on for most finesse applications. Im talking about perception. Most guys dishing out cash in the retail store hear HIGH GEAR RATIO "oh man i got the 2508H need dat sweet sweet speed". Have bought into the H models as a function of marketing rather then application.

Thus my disbelief that they seem to keep offering deep spool and low gear configs in a lot of their 'aus edition' reels.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:44 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddercat View Post
I didnt say anything was wrong with 4.8 infact i think its spot on for most finesse applications. Im talking about perception. Most guys dishing out cash in the retail store hear HIGH GEAR RATIO "oh man i got the 2508H need dat sweet sweet speed". Have bought into the H models as a function of marketing rather then application.

Thus my disbelief that they seem to keep offering deep spool and low gear configs in a lot of their 'aus edition' reels.
I get what you are saying, but I dont see the majority of people wanting high gear reels over the more common 4.8 in the daiwa range. I think our community sees very little of what the wider population actually use, and this is probably reflected in the Gen Black reels coming out as they are, assuming daiwa did their research on their target markets.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:34 AM
Blue Lip

Why do you care what Daiwa Aus bring out? No one is forcing you to buy them. You can always buy the normal models OS like most people do anyway.

I don't mind the gen black or silver wolf reels TBH. Might look into the Gen black reels if they are cheap enough.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:04 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Why do you care what Daiwa Aus bring out? No one is forcing you to buy them. You can always buy the normal models OS like most people do anyway.

I don't mind the gen black or silver wolf reels TBH. Might look into the Gen black reels if they are cheap enough.
Most people dont buy OS.

And im pretty sure im allowed to have an opinion on a consumer brand and their products.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:19 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Most people dont buy OS.

And im pretty sure im allowed to have an opinion on a consumer brand and their products.
Most smart people do anyway. They are only giving you more options. Not everyone will like everything they are bringing out. Managed to even have a whinge about the more new custom parts......lol
Old 02-08-2016, 08:58 AM
Big Bream

i wonder if any of the bigger handles will fit the smaller reels, if thats the case you get to bling it up as well as have a bit more retrieve speed from normal.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:43 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
We havent got gen black pricing yet but judging by its specs it will be out of the price range of most people who are starting. Looks like it will be built on a caldia and once you add australia tax and daiwa australia design cost.

Price will be unsuitable to most people entering the sport.
Freams body and will be pretty entry level if it is to be paired with a gen black rod with a rrp of $130 will be a sub $300 combo with J braid I'd say
Old 02-08-2016, 11:51 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple5ive View Post
i wonder if any of the bigger handles will fit the smaller reels, if thats the case you get to bling it up as well as have a bit more retrieve speed from normal.
Bigger handle will actually have the opposite effect because each wind will need a bigger circumference per full rotation a smaller handle technically speeds up a reel or will atleast make it feel quicker because you'll be able to crank full rotations of the handle quicker, downside of a smaller handle is you loose torque and they can feel cumbersome on bigger reels.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:57 AM
Blue Lip

Hey laddercat. What made you think that number of 75% is right? Did you read it somewhere or pull it form somewhere else. Given that for yonks the Daiwa range only really had 4.8 gear ratio id doubt very much if 75% of anglers traded in those reels and bought High speed ones.

I await your sources to steer me in the correct direction though.
If they're on, I'll be late, if it's quiet, I'll be late."
Old 03-08-2016, 07:03 AM
Blue Lip

The Gen Black reels look like a freams / caldia body with a black 2013 Certate spool...

Originality level 100, 000, 000.

High-speed reels really suck! Personally if they could really get the 4.0:1 ratio vs feel right i would buy that combo all day long!
Old 03-08-2016, 07:05 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breamingwithjoy View Post
Hey laddercat. What made you think that number of 75% is right? Did you read it somewhere or pull it form somewhere else. Given that for yonks the Daiwa range only really had 4.8 gear ratio id doubt very much if 75% of anglers traded in those reels and bought High speed ones.

I await your sources to steer me in the correct direction though.
I will just consult my peer reviewed journal article i use for all my forums posts.

I will include both an in text citation and end of text reference in all my posts in the future (Laddercat, 2016).

References

Laddercat, How to post on forums, 2016 vol 1.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:07 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
I will just consult my peer reviewed journal article i use for all my forums posts.

I will include both an in text citation and end of text reference in all my posts in the future (Laddercat, 2016).

References

APA The 5th citation or it never happened...
Old 04-08-2016, 12:12 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:

References

AKA - you're full of it and pulling numbers from your bottom.
If they're on, I'll be late, if it's quiet, I'll be late."