Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Electric Trolling Motors

Electric Trolling Motors The ultimate bream fishing accessory...

Old 22-12-2002, 10:01 PM
Big Bream

Question Electric Newbie Help

Hi everyone, I have seen the way of the electric motor and there is no going back I am a absolute novice at this thing and i need to know what is needed. Im gathering the electric motor, battery and charger.

It is for an ancient ~13 foot rowing dingy but is quite stable. Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Ta Grant
Old 23-12-2002, 01:55 AM
The Angry Administrator

Minn Kota

Grant,

I noticed a real cheap type of electric on the Bluewater Tackle shops new site, just about up n running..... it was $300 I think, not sure of the power or anything else as Im a bit of a novice myself but it was a Minn Kota Endura Classic 28, might be alright for a little tinny. Im not real sure what its capable of, but Im sure someone will jump on and give you the mail.

http://www.bluewater.net.au/pages/p14_15access.pdf

Cheers

Richo
Old 23-12-2002, 02:12 AM
Big Bream

I had seen that motor and rang up about it but the guy who knows anything about it was not in(Busso store). I think it would be powerful enough but im a bit concerned about the freshwater description. How much are batteries and chargers going to add?

Thanks Richo get back to you Grant
Old 23-12-2002, 02:39 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicGrant
I had seen that motor and rang up about it but the guy who knows anything about it was not in(Busso store). I think it would be powerful enough but im a bit concerned about the freshwater description. How much are batteries and chargers going to add?
I've just been down this road, Grant. I bought a Minn Kota 30lb for my 3.7m Stessl. It goes well, and is a great asset to "stealth" fishing.

A charger will set you back around $80 and the Deep Cycle battery for these things range from $160 to $220 depending on the amp hours you want. That, of course, depends on how long you hope to use the motor per session. I want as long as I can get so I went with a 145aH deep cycle Delkor battery at Apex Marine for $182.30. That should give me about 3 hours at full bore, or about 20 hours at half speed.

The 30lb'ers retail for about $430 at most marine outlets.

Regards
Kevin
Old 23-12-2002, 10:16 AM
Big Bream

Thanks Kevin thats the sort of info I need to get started. The model i have seen in a catalogue was a minn kota Enduro Classic 28 for $299 its a 28lb thrust but it blurb says plenty of freshwater thrust. Do they make different models or is it just rating that determines wether it is fresh or salt?
Old 23-12-2002, 07:47 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicGrant
Thanks Kevin thats the sort of info I need to get started. The model i have seen in a catalogue was a minn kota Enduro Classic 28 for $299 its a 28lb thrust but it blurb says plenty of freshwater thrust. Do they make different models or is it just rating that determines wether it is fresh or salt?
Yeah, Grant, these things are like the horsepower ratings on a petrol motor. They go right up to about 88lb thrust I think. I was told - and was shown - that the only difference between the fresh and saltwater models is the colour of the housing. They have the same shaft, prop, motor, housing and internals. The saltwater models have a sacrificial anode attached. Although, saltwater use will void the warranty on a freshwater model.

The larger the thrust, also, the more power they use. But that's a trade-off with power. The 30lb pushes my tinnie along at around 2-3 knots if there's no tide running against you, or a strong wind. It was perfect for moving around quickly when I had the monster stingray from hell on the other day.

Hope that helps some. If you want to know anything about mine, or I can take photo's etc. Just ask. Minn Kota have a good web site, too.

Kevin