Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Electric Trolling Motors

Electric Trolling Motors The ultimate bream fishing accessory...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Big Bream

54lb enough??

Hey,

Looking at getting a water snake electric for my old mans 4.6m aluminium boat. It has a full floor and front casting deck with a 40hp 4 stroke.

I have been looking at a 54lb water snake shadow but wondering will it be enough?? I have looked at the chart in the catalog which says it should be fine but a mate has one on a 3.8m and it goes fine on that but not sure how well it will go on our boat??

Anyone using this electric on a similar size/setup boat?? If so how does it go??

Thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Blue Lip

i run a 54lb motorguide on my 4.5m tinny, full floor front and rear cast decks, rod locker, livewell and side console with a 60 on the back and have never had an issue.

www.crankalures.com
Old 05-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Big Bream

Thanks Boris.
Old 15-11-2011, 05:13 AM
Big Bream

For normal bank bashing or canal casting a 55lb will be enough, it's when you are sitting under bridges in full current casting up next to pylons you will wish you had an 80lb on a boat of that size. It makes life a lot easier and takes a lot of work out of the motor. An 80lb would use only half to 3/4 of it's power where as a 55lb will be flat out and probably going backwards.

Shane
Old 15-11-2011, 05:31 AM
Blue Lip

2 weeks ago I would of said 55lb would of been ample, but with a 4.35m (deepish v hull), the normal comp set up I've found that holding into a decent breeze or strong current my kota really struggles to keep up, having to keep the motor on 8 or 9 to hold into it. Great for fishing edges, canals, racks and flats...not so great on washes, rockwalls and bridges.

I'm looking at upgrading to an 80lb cable steer model in the future.....not sure on that yet though.

www.crankalures.com
Old 15-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Mature Bream

I have a 4.1m Sea Jay Magnum, wide beam and high sides, with false floor, front and rear casting decks with a 30hp and I find the 54lb watersnake goes great, have had it in some strong current lately and can easily hold my boat in position... I am very happy with how it performs.

Maybe compare my hull with the make of yours to see if there is much difference in overall size/weight, if there is maybe the next size up....?
Old 15-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Big Bream

Hi, the short answer is no, but it really depends on how much fishing you will be doing and where you are going to be fishing. If fishing in all the lakes up here you will be fine, but in a estuary with tide and wind all day you will need more. If you are going to be heaps of tournaments then you need a 24 volt system, the last thing you need in comps is to be thinking about the boat and electrics. I have had a 45lb, a 55lb and now a 70lb and the 24volt system is so much better than a 12 but it cost twice as much.

Cheers
Drew
Old 16-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Poddy Bream

i've got a 54lb on my 4.2m tinny (full floor, decks, 40Hp etc) and often fish 3up.
The 54lb has been fine 90-95% of the time....The other times, there would have been a heap of wind or current, which would make flicking plastics a pain anyways....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: