Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 10-04-2017, 05:58 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Yeah I find carp are one of those fish that require regular on the spot innovating
Great vid Larry.

Stihl..ms200-088 mag
Petzl..hardware
Buckingham.. harness and spurs
Fireline...ropes

PB.Hard. 46 mtr Mountain Ash
PB. Soft. 42 mtr Trifurcated Cypress
Old 10-04-2017, 06:27 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggo_1 View Post
Great vid Larry.
Ta Greggo
Old 13-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Blue Lip

Well, taking into consideration the fact that my pool is 10m long and I initially struggled to retain my casts to within that space, regularly casting up to 5m past the end while I first started learning to flip cast, I would have no doubt in my mind that you'd be able to cast out to 25m and maybe even then some with a little practice.
Old 13-04-2017, 07:25 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
Well, taking into consideration the fact that my pool is 10m long and I initially struggled to retain my casts to within that space, regularly casting up to 5m past the end while I first started learning to flip cast, I would have no doubt in my mind that you'd be able to cast out to 25m and maybe even then some with a little practice.
This flip casting sounds interesting - I'll go out the back an give it a crack with the spin gear
Old 13-04-2017, 07:35 PM
Mature Bream

I think people are talking about pitch casting. Flipping is a very short range technique, where the lure is virtually dropped from the tip of a long powerful rod into clearings in weed beds etc. Pitching allows longer accurate lobs to more distant targets. With proper "flipping" no, or virtually no, line leaves the reel.
Old 13-04-2017, 07:37 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Yeah - if you ignore the first cast I fast forwarded through (forgot to open the bail arm) Everything went pretty smooth More of a modified bow and arrow flip

The distance was only 19m and my effort was about 75%. Lure was a big an unweighted sebile 130mm

Had to feather the line with my finger towards the end of the cast to get it to drop just behind the camera.

But much greater distances could be achieved with a bit more effort

Last edited by yellow door 1; 13-04-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 13-04-2017, 07:41 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait Caster View Post
I think people are talking about pitch casting. Flipping is a very short range technique, where the lure is virtually dropped from the tip of a long powerful rod into clearings in weed beds etc. Pitching allows longer accurate lobs to more distant targets. With proper "flipping" no, or virtually no, line leaves the reel.

Yeah I looked it up on youtube before my trial and worked out he must of meant a different style of cast.

I'll do a search on pitching
Old 13-04-2017, 07:43 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Yeah looks like mine was a "accentuated pitch" - here it is in slo-mo

Last edited by yellow door 1; 13-04-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 13-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Mature Bream

To add to this. There are, or were, available specific flipping reels from Daiwa amd Megabass. DohDohDohDohDohDohDohDoh were selling the last few Megabass Cover Hacking reels a short while ago. Should still be able to look them up, but production stopped several years ago. They are built without a thumb bar spool release and have a spool release button on the frame. This button is depressed, line is pulled off by hand to your your opposite side. Your rod hand and reel hand then end up quite a distance apart. If you get a hit on the drop, you release the button and the spool/gearing/drag is engaged without turning the handle. If you can find one, the Daiwa Bayard reels worked on a similar principle.
Old 14-04-2017, 12:17 AM
Blue Lip

My understanding of the term "pitching" is basically dropping a lure at rod length whereas "flipping" is this technique shown below, however I generally use the term for most underhand-style casts including what YD demonstrated which is similar to the way I do it.

Old 14-04-2017, 02:43 AM
Mature Bream

YD is really just doing a bow and arrow cast. Your terminology is basically arse about. No idea what the bloke in the video is doing, seems to defeat the purpose of either technique.
Old 14-04-2017, 02:55 AM
Mature Bream

Yellow Door, if you want to improve your pitch cast, and achieve its aim of the lure entering the water with minimal splash; lay a bucket on its side and cast into it. That way your lure will have to travel low, (the aim is for the lure to travel just above the waters surface from hand to target). The same can be done with a roll cast, and if you have the room this is the easier option. Watch some of the US pro anglers. They pitch or roll cast a good distance and you have to look very closely to see some pretty heavy lures enter the water. All depends on what you are trying to achieve, sneaking a lure to a fish without any disturbance to it, or maybe imitating a lizard or mouse falling off a branch.
Old 14-04-2017, 05:11 AM
Blue Lip

Yeah, it wouldn't come as any surprise to me if I had it all frack to bunt they're all good techniques for fishing tight water regardless.

YD, I found that I could be a lot more accurate by simply holding the line just above my lure gently and sort of swinging the lure out by lifting the rod as opposed to actually loading the rod tip up. It takes a bit more practice with a baitcaster to get the timing and feel right but pays off in accuracy and ease in the end.
Old 14-04-2017, 06:00 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait Caster View Post
Yellow Door, if you want to improve your pitch cast, and achieve its aim of the lure entering the water with minimal splash; lay a bucket on its side and cast into it. That way your lure will have to travel low, (the aim is for the lure to travel just above the waters surface from hand to target). The same can be done with a roll cast, and if you have the room this is the easier option. Watch some of the US pro anglers. They pitch or roll cast a good distance and you have to look very closely to see some pretty heavy lures enter the water. All depends on what you are trying to achieve, sneaking a lure to a fish without any disturbance to it, or maybe imitating a lizard or mouse falling off a branch.
Yeah it looks like a handy technique to have in the arsenal.

The reason I went with the bow and arrow/ underhand flick / pitch cast is I was trying to achieve distance with no backswing.

I'll be the first to admitt that attempt was a bit loopy - but when I knocked over the camera first go - I figured it was a nice place to stop
Old 14-04-2017, 06:06 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
Yeah, it wouldn't come as any surprise to me if I had it all frack to bunt they're all good techniques for fishing tight water regardless.

YD, I found that I could be a lot more accurate by simply holding the line just above my lure gently and sort of swinging the lure out by lifting the rod as opposed to actually loading the rod tip up. It takes a bit more practice with a baitcaster to get the timing and feel right but pays off in accuracy and ease in the end.
If you fast forward to 0.58 - thats the cast I use most often for low trajectory distance casting where back casts are limited - it also incorporates swinging the lures to load the tip

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: