Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 29-12-2017, 07:05 PM
Blue Lip

Local frustrations

Hi guys,

I recently saw a post come up on my FB that perked my interest

A local (not to me) tackle store was taking aim at people coming into his/her shop and chewing up the time of the employees by asking questions and playing with reels, only to walk out the door to purchase the reel for a better price online.

Then I thought to myself, this would be a good topic for discussion on here.

Are you a tackle store employee or a frustrated online shopper.

My thoughts are this:
I have no problem chewing up employees time, they’re paid for it.
If I like the product and the service and possibly the price, i’ll Buy it off ya.
If you’re a flog who thinks he’s a tourny guru and big game hunter of the sea, eat a bag and i’m Going online
Most of the time, I won’t even bother as most stores stock bugger all, and what they do have is limited, which I also understand

Thoughts???

Let it fly. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe I’m a jerk, who knows
Old 29-12-2017, 07:40 PM
Blue Lip

Im going engage you on this.

Recently bought a new swim bait rod, went in with no real idea on what i wanted - looked at it and compared to others - went home and reviewed and found prices.

Went back in 3 weeks later with honest feeling that i wouldn't get it for the price i found online. Lone behold i walked out with it. Just spoke to an ex employee of that shop and told him of the purchase - was told in response that i bought it at a price they wouldnt have bought it for.

Within regards to reels, as like you - I definitely like to go in look and feel what your prospectively going to buy either in store or online. Going in store and "chewing out their time" seems to be a store based issue ineffectivly based on staff not being able to convert a sale or deciding if a customer is just spinning his wheels.

I work in a shop and I've been cracking the code for years now and its getting harder each year with people just wanting to compare physically - so they can buy online. Ive had many customers come in to look and ive managed to convert from online to an in-store purchase by simply stating the benefits of buying in store vs online eg: postage costs, possibility of damage, warranty, return process and many more variables - including the great service you as a employee can provide.

Ive walked into most shops along my journeys only to be left disappointed with stock levels, understanding that stock on the shelf costs big dollars to do, its a neither this or that way thing these days in the tackle industry with smaller hole in the wall retailers having to aggressively compete with the likes of B.C.F and a myriad of other half physical / online entities

I'm equally happy these days buying some things online and just recently had the great displeasure of being sold a fraudulent item within my sale, which is now being disputed in a long ongoing terrible tennis match affair between two parties that have no real concept of what the items are...

So realistically its a tough one for retailers these days... I love to support the small guys i really do, some of them are great and i love visiting their stores - but when price and availability come into it i know most of us just go online for the convenience of it all.
Old 29-12-2017, 07:53 PM
Blue Lip

I can certainly understand the frustrations of shop owners when people kick tyres and then turn around and say "well, I can get this online $50 cheaper so I'll just get it off eBay, mate", but at the same time there are so many snake oil salesman in tackle shops it's not funny. I don't know what it is that attracts them to this particular line of work, or why they think that nobody but them could possibly know anything about a product, but what I do know is that when a man in his mid 40's, drenched in Lynx Africa sporting a pair of Etnies fresh out of 2004 tells me that the Stella FE 4000 sitting in a glass cabinet behind the counter, covered in dust has a $1075.50 price tag because it's the newest reel from Shinamo and has fully titanium body and gears, I feel a hell of a lot better about ordering stuff from Digitaka.
Old 29-12-2017, 09:21 PM
Mature Bream

I support local guys but at some point the price discrepancy forces your hand. Im looking at a reel at the moment that is 900 local or 565 from digitaka free deliv.
Old 29-12-2017, 11:04 PM
Blue Lip

For seasoned online shoppers who actually have absolutely no intention of buying in store, yeah, I think it's a bit of a shtty thing to do messing with sales staff. At the employee level, yes, they're paid to help. But to the employer, they're paying the employee for a dead end. No one likes time wasters.

If they can do it without wasting someone else's time, probably alright.

All the gear, no idea
Old 30-12-2017, 12:21 AM
Mature Bream

Bit of a frustrated online shopper here. Our town is supported by 2 different "camping fishing boating" style of shops and one small independant. The bigger two generally only carry tourist gear but are happy to order in whatever you want. Without seeing, feeling the rod / reel it makes it difficult to part with a heap of cash. The smaller independant is much the same with very limited stock, hell of a nice and knowledgeable man but the problem for me is the same; no ability to get a feel for the gear you are purchasing. Everyone says they can order what i want in but so can i direct to my door and generally at a reduced price.
Finding a non bias review on any gear these days is all but impossible other than perhaps Alan Hawk who seems to mainly deal with the heavy offshore gear. If any of you fellow bream masters have any non bias Australian review sites please post them; we all need them.
So i generally purchase online what i know is good and that has a solid reputation. This has served me well other than the odd reel not making the quality grade. I look at my reels that my wife and i use and they are pretty evenly split between older Stella's (fd-fe), Certates 2013 onward as well as a couple of duds.
I would love to step back 20 or more years and deal with local retail but unfortunately we are now in the global market even with something as simple as fishing gear. Another fault lies with the manufactures themselves, the range of fishing reels / rods / lines and lures is simply mind boggling with no retailer capable of stocking it all.
So there you have it i am simply and reluctantly a frustrated online shopper

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: