Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Old 30-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Blue Lip

Putting Old Components on a New Custom Rod?

Hey guys, I have a Team Daiwa Battler Kingbolt, I bought it from another member who broke the tip and had it repaired. Personally, I really like the grip and reel seat on the kingbolt and I wanna know if I could get the grips and reel seat removed then put onto a new blank. I also wanna know if there are blanks available that would be similar to a kingbolt blank. Or are there any JDM rod blanks that are available?

Cheers,

Daiwafreak
Old 30-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Big Bream

you could use the reel seat thats not an issue and the guides but the grips (they are cork on that model im fairly sure?) will be useless, once the cork is glued on you have to hack it back off, but in saying that it isnt overly hard to get somebody to turn up the cork to look the same for your new grip, take it to your local rod builder and show them what you want
Old 30-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Big Bream

Daiwafreak

Describe the kingbolt blank as best you can including specs. Might be able to suggest a similiar blank.

Stu
Old 31-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Blue Lip

I'd describe it as crisp fast actioned light tip, with plenty of power down.
The specs are:
Length: 6'8"
Lure Rating: 1/32-1/4oz
Power: Medium Light
Line Rating: 4-10lb (nylon) and 3-6lb (fluorocarbon)

Yeh, I wanna keep the reel seat and maybe turn it into a split grip rod with EVA and cork. Even though the rod has been broken and repaired, its still got all the guides so I could put them straight onto another rod that is similar in length.

I'd be happy with a blank that is "kingbolt like" or an extra fast JDM blank.

Just to let you know guys, I'm gathering ideas so I can probably get done sometime later this year.

Cheers,

Daiwafreak
Old 31-03-2010, 02:00 AM
Big Bream

Try the North Fork DSR6107, it would be a quality replacement. Mo have them in stock. Gary Loomis's new version of the DSR820. Great blank.
Old 31-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Blue Lip

..don’t mean to hijack your thread here df, but what is the difference between rating a rod for flouro or mono?

braid vs flouro i can understand, but flouro and mono generally both break at or below rated breaking strain so why would for example the kingbolt be rated to take 10lb mono and only 6lb flouro?
Old 31-03-2010, 02:22 AM
Blue Lip

Thanks man, I'll keep that one as an option. Also, I've never seen a custom rod that is 2 piece, can it be done? And does anybody know if there are any JDM companies that make blanks?

Cheers,

Daiwafreak
Old 01-04-2010, 01:43 AM
Blue Lip

Does anybody know much about Matagi Blanks? They look awesome.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Blue Lip

I am looking at the Matagi TR68 Super Big Pond blank or the Matagi TR69 Super Rozy Figaro, the specs are:

Matagi TR68 Super Big Pond
Length: 6'8"
Line: 2-6lb
Lure: 1.5-3.5g
Action: Fast
Power: XUL
Weight: 16 grams

Matagi TR69 Super Rozy Figaro
Length: 6'9"
Line: 2-4 (not sure if it is LB or KG)
Lure: 1/16-1/8oz
Action: Fast
Power: UL
Weight: 28 grams

My question is, can i take the Ti-Sic guides off the battler kingbolt and put it on the new rod? (except the tip guide)
I basically want to take the reel seat from the kingbolt and put it on the new blank. I also want to put the guides from the kingbolt onto the new blank if possible.
Also, which blank would you pick out of the two?

Cheers,

Daiwafreak
Old 05-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Mature Bream

You can swap out the guides no problem, (including the tip most of the time) as for the reel seat it is a fairly involved process and you have to ask is it worth it ? but yes it can be done just have to find a builder willing to do it.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Blue Lip

Anybody know a good rod builder in Melbourne that I could contact?

Cheers,

Daiwafreak
Old 06-04-2010, 05:49 AM
Mature Bream

Steve Duff
http://kustomfishingtools.com.au/
Old 13-04-2010, 04:35 AM
Blue Lip

Taking the guides off is easy. No probs at all.

The seat is a different matter. Easiest option is to cut the bank either side of the seat and drill the blank piece out. I once made a set of custom reel seat "hole saws" out of stainless pipe. 16, 17 and 18 mm to fit those sizes of seat. be warned: carefully removing a seat is a royal pain the arse.

If after cutting out the seat the blank inside it can fit over the blank of your choice then an option is to just glue it there. The grips however, are pretty toast: you'll need new grips unless you can carefully cut the grip clean and flush, then butt your new grip up to the bit covering the seat. There may be a visible glue line afterwards, and you'll need to sand it up to be level.

As for the choice of blanks, try emailing mamoru and asking about the power and suggested uses of those blanks. they sound like Area Trout rods (longer open water trouting) so may be a bit light on the power for most breaming. Also VERY fine tips..... An option to get more out of them might be trimming a bit off the tip and extending the handle with graphite tube.

That seat is based on the VSS design, as mentioned before, so only the custom paint and ratcheting lock ring are different. At first thought I don't see why the ratcheting ring won't fit a VSS 17. New seat and grips is certainly less hassle, and you can get a custom painted seat from Matagi also.
Old 14-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Blue Lip

At the moment, I'm not going forward with the project, seems like too much work and lots of money. I may do it later in the year when I can be bothered and when I can find a rod builder who is willing to do the job.

Cheers,

Daiwafreak
Old 16-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Blue Lip

It's the seat that's going to cost you in time and labour (and thus money).

Go for new grips and seat, and shell out for a custom on your blank of choice. You're already supplying the guides, so there's at least 160 bucks saved on components. Just cut them off.