Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 24-01-2019, 03:22 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereus View Post
jury is out for me on assists,so far there aint much if any benefit
cheers nereus
When I've used em, I've been frustrated with the hooks tangling with the line & didn't really find any noticeable difference in hook up rate or the number of fish dropped.

Its a work in progress
Old 26-01-2019, 02:34 AM
Fingerling

Assist hooks

Well I went out again today and only got one but he was a beauty.i hooked up another 4 but unfortunately I dropped them. I have ordered a new rod a 7' 2-4kg timber wolf. I realise that it's not a big ticket item but I'm only a novice so I hope it will help. One thing I'm finding is I don't hook any fish at any great distance like in the you tube shows I have been watching.all of my catches have been with 10'. Any ideas on that?
I have purchased 3 more lures and when I get them I will give them ago.
Until next time.
Regards paul
Old 06-02-2019, 08:40 PM
Big Bream

Just tied up a bunch of my own using 50lb braid size 6 and 8 daiichi 2171-B hooks. Fairly straight forward to tie just took a few attempts to get the length where I wanted. How are people attaching the spinnerbait skirts and has anyone run trials on with versus without the skirt to find if it increases strike rate or effects action.

Cheers Alex
Old 07-02-2019, 03:33 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman View Post
Just tied up a bunch of my own using 50lb braid size 6 and 8 daiichi 2171-B hooks. Fairly straight forward to tie just took a few attempts to get the length where I wanted. How are people attaching the spinnerbait skirts and has anyone run trials on with versus without the skirt to find if it increases strike rate or effects action.

Cheers Alex

I just wrap a couple of turns of rod binding thread around them and tie off with a reef knot, then a drop of superglue. Having a fly vice comes in real handy when making these up.
I've never compared with or without, as I've always put them on. Plenty of guys don't bother and still catch good fish.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:40 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
I just wrap a couple of turns of rod binding thread around them and tie off with a reef knot, then a drop of superglue. Having a fly vice comes in real handy when making these up.
I've never compared with or without, as I've always put them on. Plenty of guys don't bother and still catch good fish.
Just whipped up half of what I've tied with these, minus the super glue but finished with half hitches as well. Will test them out once we get some still weather here and compare the walk on a lure with stock trebles, assists (no skirt) and assists with skirt.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:57 AM
Dead Set Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman View Post
Just whipped up half of what I've tied with these, minus the super glue but finished with half hitches as well. Will test them out once we get some still weather here and compare the walk on a lure with stock trebles, assists (no skirt) and assists with skirt.
any pics Alex, I'll post a pic of my Oreti fish if you post a pic of the assists

Last edited by Mark M; 12-02-2019 at 12:59 AM.
Old 25-02-2019, 01:25 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Heres those simple knots I was talking about

https://www.facebook.com/top10fishin...5963674642630/
Old 27-02-2019, 07:14 AM
Poddy Bream

assist hook-size

I found using forceps as a makeshift fly tying vice to be quite handy in the fiddly task of tying small assists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imPFyU9lkU4
Old 12-01-2020, 08:47 PM
Mature Bream

I was just doing a Google search on assist hooks and came across BM forum and read what people think about assist hooks,while a number forum users on various sites use them and some that don't.
Now decided to leave the lures as they are and not waste time and effort trying to work out which assist hooks suite a particular lure.

Last edited by jonnie; 13-01-2020 at 02:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 13-01-2020, 05:29 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Heres those simple knots I was talking about
https://www.facebook.com/top10fishin...5963674642630/
Great knot YD - thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie View Post
I was just doing a Google search on assist hooks and came across BM forum and read what people think about assist hooks,while a number forum users on various sites use them and some that don't.
Now decided to leave the lures as they are and not waste time and effort trying to work out which assist hooks suite a particular lure.
I used the same vibe with different hook sets for a session on flatties over the hols, best hook up & ease of release were the ratings.

Trebles - perfect hook up, time consuming release
W hooks - average hook up, easy release
Single hooks - worst of hookups, easy release
Assist hooks - best hook up, easy release (skirt or no skirt - no difference in hook ups)

Quote:
Fly vice is the easiest way to make them & with Yellowdoor’s FB knot, will make perfect length.
Old 13-01-2021, 03:28 AM
Fingerling

Assist Hooks - Size Doesn't Count

I have a couple of favourite deep bream holes on the Hastings River near Wauchope in NSW where I fish almost exclusively blades. I pick up a few bass in late winter but some of the other side catch is can be amazing - jewfish and trophy flathead.

I love the ZX-40's and the tiny hooks. Fish can't throw them because of the flex in the cord and they sink deep and they stick.

Keep them tuned with a bit of fine emery paper after each fish. I had to go to Port Macquarie hospital last year to have a ZX stinger cut out of my thumb.

PS - Hope I haven't stuffed this up - it's my first post

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kO?usp=sharing

Last edited by stan2443; 13-01-2021 at 03:34 AM.
Old 13-01-2021, 03:38 AM
Fingerling

Can't seem to be able to post images - how do I do that
Old 13-01-2021, 04:29 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan2443 View Post
Can't seem to be able to post images - how do I do that
Welcome to the site Stan. You'll probably find the file size of your image is too big. I normally reduce mine in Photoshop, but assuming you're running Windows, you can do it in Paint.
Firstly make a copy of your image, then right click on it and select Open from the drop down box then select Paint.
In the taskbar up the top you'll see Resize. Click on that, then at the top of the window that appears change Percentage to Pixels. Then change Horizontal Pixels to 1000, hit OK and that pic should load.
Sounds a lot more complicated than it is, but only takes a couple of seconds.

If you're on a phone or tablet, there's Apps you can download that do the same thing.
Old 13-01-2021, 05:28 PM
Fingerling

Quote:
Welcome to the site Stan. You'll probably find the file size of your image is too big. I normally reduce mine in Photoshop, but assuming you're running Windows, you can do it in Paint.
Firstly make a copy of your image, then right click on it and select Open from the drop down box then select Paint.
In the taskbar up the top you'll see Resize. Click on that, then at the top of the window that appears change Percentage to Pixels. Then change Horizontal Pixels to 1000, hit OK and that pic should load.
Sounds a lot more complicated than it is, but only takes a couple of seconds.

If you're on a phone or tablet, there's Apps you can download that do the same thing.
Thanks so much for that I'm an old guy in my seventies so struggle a bit with this stuff
Old 16-01-2021, 01:38 AM
Mature Bream

Hi Stan, There are a couple of us here form Port. Went down to the river today, seems to be clearing. Monday fish coming up for me !!