Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 23-10-2017, 04:51 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

How often do you lube your line roller bearing

I was chatting to a Tackle store dude the other day and he said he sprays his line roller bearing after every session.

I do it slightly less than that Basically I only used to do it if I noticed a speak but by then the damage is done

But I think I'm going to start doing it more often.

(p.s. I know BG's dont have line roller bearings but I'd already just done every other reel I own before remembering to take a photo)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9057.jpg (540.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 23-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Blue Lip

Wash down my reels after every trip and spray with INOX.

Given my 2 stradic FH reels are still going strong I think it is worth it.
Old 23-10-2017, 07:12 PM
Mature Bream

There is a video from Daiwa Australia's service department recommend that don't spray Inox/WD40 directly to the reel as it can dissolved the grease inside the reel.

And also the instruction come with my latest twin power advise no oil on the line roler bearing as well.
So after each trip, I spray inox on a piece of cloth and wipe it down. The line roller bearing on my 2010 Certate is fine but not so on the new twin power.

My mate spray all his reel both Daiwa and Shimano after each session. Shimano tends to give him trouble on the line roller bearing.

P.S. I'm not here to start a war just what I found.

https://www.facebook.com/blackbreamh...homepage_panel
Old 23-10-2017, 09:49 PM
Mature Bream

I dont wash my reel down as water will push salt water deeper in. I wash the spool with warm running water to clean out salt in lines. Wipe down the reel with warm light soapy water. Then one drop of oil on line, handle bearings. Grease only if required...that it.
Old 23-10-2017, 10:58 PM
Blue Lip

I would advise no oil in the line roller too if I was in the business of selling reels
Old 23-10-2017, 11:22 PM
Blue Lip

Think about what a LRB is doing and then where its doing that 'salt water'.

For one its twisting under load of some form during retrieval and possibly under drag load when a fish is on. Its also being spun by the rotor with centrifugal force all day long coupled with climatic variables. This burns the grease or oil off and flings it to one side or out of the bearing itself.

Two the line roller is exposed to salt water off the line which is corrosive to 310 grade stainless steel, the steel is mildly stainless (stain + less), if it were any higher grade the srainless steel would wear quicker as its usually softer (depending) - its a weird relationship between life of bearing and corrosion resistance.

When i do bearings - I use a grease oil mix, grease alone tends to cut through and creates a channel for the bearings to go through and the races are exposed. Thinning the NLGI of the grease with a Corrosion X or Inox oil helps the grease mould in around the bearings and flow with the internal movements.

Use a oil in its liquid form - eg: spray that Inox into a vessel and let t flash off and use that oil, or buy it in it's liquid form - a better non adultered product.

As to washing a reel, a fine mist to move the salt off the reel - no pressure required.

Magseal dont get me started...

Salt Ex or Salt Away will help denture salt - I've started to use it to soak my spools backing with it, before putting the top shot on to reduce the chance of corrosion and lessen my worry with wet spools. Also wipe it over guides - especially the polished stainless Fuji guides as they have a propensity to corrode...

Reels use / duration of time between sessions would be relevant on line roller lubrication (including weather hot or cold), and in the extremes the reel suffers (salt or fresh, wet weather, dust and dirt etc). Ive been doing a whole lot of freshwater fishing and haven't been oiling as frequently as in a saltwater environment.

Last edited by Slazmo; 24-10-2017 at 04:28 AM.
Old 23-10-2017, 11:24 PM
Blue Lip

Just serviced my mates BG 4000. It doesn't actually have a line roller bearing, just a plastic bushing. He's never oiled it or cleaned it so it had built up a bit of gunk and stopped rotating so I had to scrub a bit of green corrosion-y crap out of it and just gave it a spot of oil.
I usually put a drop of sewing machine oil on mine every once in a while(with the exception of my saltiga expo as it has a mag sealed roller bearing) and I've never once had an issue with any of my reel's line roller bearings.
Old 24-10-2017, 03:21 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Thanks heaps for all the experiences and detailed replies fellas -

Sounds like my current method may be better than nothing but not the best way to do it.

Changes will be made - thanks again
Old 24-10-2017, 04:13 AM
Mature Bream

I used to work in a tackle store, any reel that was sprayed/ lubricated with WD voided the warranty with some companies all repaires had to be paid for by the customer, you're line roller takes a beating due to the 90 degree angle to the spool under load its worse!!! Inox is what you wanna use.
Old 24-10-2017, 06:09 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucker View Post
........ you're line roller takes a beating due to the 90 degree angle to the spool under load its worse!!! Inox is what you wanna use.
Ahhh - it took your reply for it to finally sink in.

When I used to catch bream on bream reels - I never had a problem.

But when I became "Big Fish Larry" is when the trouble started
Old 24-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucker View Post
I used to work in a tackle store, any reel that was sprayed/ lubricated with WD voided the warranty with some companies all repaires had to be paid for by the customer, you're line roller takes a beating due to the 90 degree angle to the spool under load its worse!!! Inox is what you wanna use.
If they say don’t use WD40 (which I agree with) I think Inox would be a no no as well.

The line roller and bearing, unless sealed gets water on it all day long from the wet line going constantly going over it. That’s why they frequently stop working as they should.

Oils and lubes like Inox are thin so they wash out easily.
I use a waterproof grease to lube the bearings and Ive found it lasts the longest. I get a year of solid use between roller services without any problems. As far as I know, most bearings are supposed to be lubed with grease anyway. Not oil or spray.

My Magseal line roller reels, I don’t touch them ever and never have any problems.
Old 24-10-2017, 04:32 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
I was chatting to a Tackle store dude the other day and he said he sprays his line roller bearing after every session.

I do it slightly less than that Basically I only used to do it if I noticed a speak but by then the damage is done

But I think I'm going to start doing it more often.

(p.s. I know BG's dont have line roller bearings but I'd already just done every other reel I own before remembering to take a photo)
I never spray water on reels. Always use a damp piece of old towel. Line roller is easy to remove and rinse use a hair dryer to get perfectly dry.. Google BOCA bearings in the USA heaps of info and advice.

Only do strip down of line roller bearing at the end of each season. Stll have baitrunners 15+ years old nil corrosion.. inox is formulated to displace water, but does not need heaps to do the job effectively.. I remove the spool to service/ wash to avoid overspray getting on the line.
As said wipe down with damp towling cloth and run the line only under clean cold water is sufficient to get salt levels down on both mono and braid lines
Old 24-10-2017, 05:10 PM
Mature Bream

I spray my non mag sealed reels with a small mist spray bottle of salt away. When dry give the line roller bearing a drop of a thin synthetic oil and rotate them a few times. To this point i have had no difficulties with mag sealed bearings which are not touched other than the salt away spray although i am a bit nervous about this knowing how sensitive they can be to foreign substances.
Old 24-10-2017, 05:20 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewsiow View Post
There is a video from Daiwa Australia's service department recommend that don't spray Inox/WD40 directly to the reel as it can dissolved the grease inside the reel.

And also the instruction come with my latest twin power advise no oil on the line roler bearing as well.
So after each trip, I spray inox on a piece of cloth and wipe it down. The line roller bearing on my 2010 Certate is fine but not so on the new twin power.

My mate spray all his reel both Daiwa and Shimano after each session. Shimano tends to give him trouble on the line roller bearing.

P.S. I'm not here to start a war just what I found.
You are not alone with the Twinpower line roller giving difficulties. I purchased 2 of the twinpower 15 when they were new and have had trouble with both their line rollers. I do not think much of the hyped Shimano waterproofing coatings so now i treat the line rollers of them both in the old fashioned way which seems to have fixed their issues.
Old 24-10-2017, 05:52 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzo View Post

Oils and lubes like Inox are thin so they wash out easily.
I use a waterproof grease to lube the bearings and Ive found it lasts the longest. I get a year of solid use between roller services without any problems. As far as I know, most bearings are supposed to be lubed with grease anyway. Not oil or spray.

Ahh thats another important deatil I forgot to add from the convo.

He was recommending a can of inox I hadnt seen before - the yellow can - he says the mx3fg is thicker than the the stuff with the red lid.

I do have some innox grease so I'll give them a touch up with that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9047.jpg (257.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 9046.jpg (247.4 KB, 0 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: