Go Back   Bream Master Forums > National SportFishing Scene > General Tournament Chat

Old 02-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Fishing Tragic

Congrats to Don on His Derwent 4th

Well done mate and great bag for the 2 days.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg
Old 02-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Dead Set Legend

11kg bag

Imagine an 11kg bag in the Swan

Well done also to expat Hodgie, made the top 1/2

Bigfella Chris the top 10 in the NBs, and lucky Leon with a penalty, gotta be a laugh in that story Doc

http://www.bream.com.au/modules.php?...rticle&sid=341

Tenth is like a magnet to Bigfella it seems:

St Helens results too.....

http://www.bream.com.au/modules.php?...rticle&sid=337

Last edited by Mark M; 02-03-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Mature Bream

Well done blokes go WA
Old 02-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Blue Lip

Yep got to be proud of all the guy's who took part, a great effort just to get themselves there to compete.Truly some bags that ours can only dream of being.Special congrats to Don on a great bag and finish well done mate.

Cheers Steve
Old 03-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Hyper Tackle

Well done Don, congradulations topped some of the countries best mate

Mark
Old 03-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Big Bream

Yeah dont you know it mate, funniest story most would hear in a long time. On the briefing night I couldnt believe my luck to draw Steersy as my boater. He and Lee mackenzie are the consumate locals pulling 7 plus kilo bags regularly. The bite was a little slow for Steve in the first hour and he decided to go to a place that is very hard to get into. He had damaged his boat up at St Helens (another tragic story) so he was in another one without his trusty GPS which made going up this part of the river a bit of a guess. Well long story short we spent the rest of the day high and dry on a mud bank until about three oclock when we were pulled off. On the upside got to know a great guy a bit better, and stories of what could have been. He writes every thing down and his pre fish bag from the previous day went 7.5kgs. Man the joint was a blast nothing you would catch was small, a place everyone should go, would have been good to have prefished the actual area that we would have the comp in but beggars cant be choosers.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:00 AM
Dead Set Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Hollywood View Post
.... Well long story short we spent the rest of the day high and dry on a mud bank until about three oclock when we were pulled off.....

Tell me you got some pics...
Old 03-03-2008, 05:22 AM
Mature Bream

Hey Leon hope you came home with your mobile phone
this time.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Mature Bream

Congratulations Don. Flying the flag for WA Breamers and showing quite a few from the "other side" how it's done.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham.M View Post
Hey Leon hope you came home with your mobile phone
this time.
Nearly didnt, expecting the mud to be something like Perth took of the shoes pulled up the pants, phone secured in top shirt pocket, and then proceeded to sink up to mid waist. It was the first thing in Tassie that was warm. If you let go of the boat you would have been stuck until the tide came in and drowned you.
Preparation and speed is the key to fishing the derwent. It has some big open spaces and the fish are either here or there, and then holding in or out. Donnie moved around a bit and then found a hole no more then 20 x 20 meters and pulled 18 fish from it. Now remembering that fish there are xos (didnt see one under 34) a good bag is assured. My boater decided we would stay deep and fish shallow, and it wasnt until the last hour that we changed, sitting shallow and fishing deep, all hell broke loose and amoungst the sea runners, coota, and big salmon we finally managed to pull a few bream. Definately a system where thinking on your feet and quickly adapting pays dividends. Tying to get some photos downloaded but my USB is playing up.
Old 15-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Big Bream

ZipBait cleans up

Thanks guys for your congrats

What a comp the Derwent turned out to be.
For the pre fish Tom Deer and I had the maps out and made a plan of attack.
He was to do the upper reaches of his choice and I was to cover the bottom part of the system.
Well after only doing half of the areas I had pulled good fish in most spots in a very short time.
Left a few spots alone for back ups if neaded on comp days.

Day one started out of pos 2 and off to spot no. 1 for no fish moved to spot 2 ,just around the corner, and it was only produceing by catch untill half way down the drift and then it was on .
After 3 in the well for me and 2 for my non boater we moved on .
We couldn't get down to my other spots as the wind and swell were pushing up so we settled on a few other calmer spots which slowly produced to give me my bag plus one upgrade. 5/5.27 for me and 2/1.99 for Roger

Day two started out of pos seven,thinking this is going to be hard top guys all up the front and 1.8kg behind

Headed to my best spot from day one for no fish My nonboater Andrew,had a spot from day one close by which produced one for me. only about 900gr too small but a start.
We then hunted around for one of the spots I had marked for the pre fish but had left for a back up.
First cast I had my second fish about 1.2kg. Things were looking up.
Andrew proceeded to get his first and second fish in but only around the 900 gr mark for each.
After two more drifts I had pulled two more 1.2 models
During this time the leader from day one had arrived at the same spot so we knew we must be in the right place.
By 12 o'clock I had filled my bag ,had a few upgrades and was putting back 1kg fish. Andrew had four in the well for a while so I stopped fishing to help him get his fifth.
After lending him my rod, fitting with a Zipbait 56f ,first cast he was on for his fifth and a 1.2 type model he was rapped.
Andrew changed to the Zipbait we both continued to just hammer the fish.
I had four in the well around 1.2-1.3kg and one around 1kg I was trying to upgrade but all the fish comeing in were around the 1gk size
Arond 1pm the other boat, which had been watching and struggleing to get a fish ,come over to find out what the #@*k we were useing.
Well we were happy with what we had in the well and I only had three of the Zipbait 56f which we gave to them.
Well, with in about 10 casts they had managed one fish for the boater and two for the non boater and three bust offs. No more ZipBaits left
We headed back with 10.8 kgs of fish in the well and left them to it.

A great days fishing that Andrew and I will remember for a long time.

Andrew managed to climb the lader to 7th and I finished 4th.

The only regrets for the trip was
Leaveing my camera on the kitchen bench at home and
Leaveing my phone on the bottom of the Derwent

Sorry about the late reply but been busy since returning from Tassie.(checking out new boats)

Proudly Sponsored by.

www.EngelAustralia.com.au

Last edited by don; 17-03-2008 at 06:20 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: