Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 10-12-2002, 01:32 AM
The Angry Administrator

Question Drag Setting

Picking ya brains fella`s

I usually have the drag set at about 75-80% when fishing (pretty tight), and its been force of habit to leave it at that setting regardless of where Im fishing. Is there a right and wrong setting depending where your fishing, and how can ya tell. My skull dragging them around is gonna cost me a fish or 2 soon.... So I thought Id enquire.

Cheers

Richo
Old 10-12-2002, 03:55 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

Mate, I run it pretty tight around structure (about the same as you) because, most times, if the fish makes it into the pylons,oyster lease, rocks etc. it's all over

It helps to have a good rod to cushion the 'runs' and if you hold the rod up high you can lower it a fair bit as the fish lunges - before giving any line away.

A little trick when fighting big fish in tight territory is to try and muscle them to the surface, then 'skate' them across the water to the net - that way you don't give them a chance to play dirty

In the open I go about 50% or so and don't have any problems.

Don't forget to back the drag off after each session - helps prolong the smooth working life.

Cheers,

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!

Team BreamMaster Member

Last edited by Dave W; 10-12-2002 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2002, 04:08 AM
Mature Bream

Thumbs up

Ahh...now that's worth knowing. Thanks Dave! I never knew about backing the drag off between sessions.

Also, what about the baitrunner type reels that allow the bait to be run out first without any resistance. You wouldn't use one with bream?

Regards
Kevin
Old 10-12-2002, 04:12 AM
Blue Lip

Kevin, I dont think I'd be bold enough to go that way. My first instinct particularly around pylons and that type of thing would be to shift the fish away from the snag as quickly as possible.
Old 10-12-2002, 04:23 AM
Mature Bream

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig_S
Kevin, I dont think I'd be bold enough to go that way. My first instinct particularly around pylons and that type of thing would be to shift the fish away from the snag as quickly as possible.
Now I think about it a little, it does make perfect sense, Craig. Don't want the pesky little blighters trying to snap you off on the oysters.

I suppose out in the open a baitrunner may be OK. Just turn it off around snags etc.?

I was just looking at one the other night, so the question was still in my head when I saw Dave's response. It was a Okuwa (sp?) - not sure on the spelling - it was bloody expensive I know that!

Regards
Kevin
Old 10-12-2002, 06:47 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

Not a bad idea Kevin, the only problem I see is the loss of control with the baitfeeder on - on occasions you've got to have a pretty good reaction time to hook the fish

I think it was Kaj Busch who talked about Bream 'inhaling and exhaling' soft plastic lures very quickly - the theory went that for every fish you catch another 5 have had it in their mouth that you didn't feel/notice

Oh, that reel is 'Okuma' - I've got 3 (not the baitfeeders though) 1 Epix 1 Avenger and 1 big Granite for the beach - they are great reels for the price.

Cheers,

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!

Team BreamMaster Member
Old 10-12-2002, 10:15 AM
Web Master

Drag Settings

I'm glad you guys bought this up. When I fished Albany with Taro, I noticed his drag was very soft whilst I tend to set mine a bit firmer. We both landed multiple fish and neither of us got busted off after a run.

I hooked a 55-60cm mulloway on my 4lb gear with my normal drag setting and actually backed it off a little to enable him to run when required and tightened it up a couple of clicks when he had finished a run. I landed him after a couple of minutes with no sign of wear on the line or knots. A fish this size would have busted off had he not been able to run. Just play it by ear when you hook a fish. If you can hear the line "twanging" when the fish pulls then back off a couple of clicks.

I use a simple method of testing drag after I have altered it from my preset. I grab the line just above the reel between my thumb and the side of my index finger. If I can't pull line off against the drag without the line slipping between my fingers, it's too tight. If I can pull line off after lightening my grip, then I give it a click or two.

Seems to work ok as a test when out fishing...

Warren.

Old 10-12-2002, 11:13 PM
Big Bream

Warren - if Taro tightened his drag then his rod would snap when a bream struck! That's why it's so loose. He never seems to lose a fish though so there must be a bit of power in that noodle...

Chris
Old 12-12-2002, 08:56 AM
Big Bream

i run it pretty tight.....well really tight actually. the pic in the vic hotspots will explain why. a picture tells a 1000 words afterall and my way with words aint to good

cheers pete
Old 20-12-2002, 05:04 AM
Mature Bream

I run my drags at about one third breaking strain! you can always tighten it up, but if a big jew takes off, and your running 80% drag,you won't know what hit you! There are places, like around mangroves in 1 metre of water, where I up the drag, you need to consider what else may take your lure, and if you want to catch it?
Old 30-12-2002, 10:12 PM
Big Bream

I fish pretty heavy drag even when I'm fishing open waters. I think you need it set pretty hard to get a solid hookup.
Old 30-12-2002, 11:55 PM
Mature Bream

iset my drag the same as breammaster if you can pull the line of above the reel with a fair bit of resistance + a bit it should surfice.

when you fish with the same rod &reel all the time you get to be with one [zen ] so you should know when the drag is at its optium

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: