Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 29-03-2017, 04:30 AM
Mature Bream

Jewfish specific landbased lure reel

Ok so I'm going back to chasing silver ghosts but I'm stuck on what size reel to go, obviously going daiwa but unsure whether to go a 2500 or 3000, 3012 what do you blokes use again its specifically for chasing silver on sp's and hbs
Price isn't an issue.
Thanks
Old 29-03-2017, 05:40 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

I've been running second hand 2500's in the Freams/Stradic price range.

They do the job but I dont think they enjoy having 3kg of strain on them for long periods and I'm wearing out drag plates on these old reels

I've recently switched to a new 3000 in the Freams and I have a 3000 Daiwa BG on the way for this season. I dont know if they are any stronger than the 2500's but they'll be a hell of lot newer than the clapped out old 2500's I used last season

Casting distance is often an issue when landbased, so a bigger spool might help.

Also weight is a concern if you're used to throwing the lighter gear for bream. I've tried a 4000 Daiwa reel on 6-8kg Nitro viper and there isnt alot of joy in using that for a few hours with heavy lures, when all your other lure casting involves light gear.

So my choices are a compromise between what feels good in the hand and what I think I can get away with strength wise.

You're going to be doing alot of casting and retrieving between fish. So if the spots you fish dont require really heavy gear - dont use it

This season I'm going to run 3000 reels - 20lb actual breaking strain braid - 14lb leader - with 2-3kg of drag.

Last edited by yellow door 1; 29-03-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 29-03-2017, 04:07 PM
Mature Bream

Yellow Door has it much the same as us. We run a 3000 Certate and my wife a 3000 Caldia z both loaded with 25LB braid. I think the 3000 is the perfect size for a Daiwa reel. The rod is your choice and importantit match the reel for continual casting. We both run 13 GREEN 20LB rods which are light enough to cast or bait fish with. They also double as great large Snapper outfits.
Old 29-03-2017, 07:03 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

I should add - if you're fishing on the lighter side of tackle, it can be really beneficial to get to know your gear by testing it with scales. (manufacturers often get it wrong)

I scale tested the upper limits of my all my jigheads, line and how much drag the reel can deliver. I've found 2-3kg is plenty of drag for sluggish Melbourne winter Jews

So while I'm fishing there is no guess work as to how hard I can pull at any stage of the fight.

I used to fish under 1kg of drag because I didnt know what my gear could do.
But now I can drag 3 times harder and I know nothing is going to break. Or if I need to use a finesse presentation on a lighter jighead - I know how far to back my drag off so the hooks wont fail
Old 29-03-2017, 10:28 PM
Blue Lip

I bought a reel a few weeks back to chase jews, kingies, aussie salmon etc. off the kayak.

Ended up with a 2510R-PE reel (2510 spool and rotor with 3000 sized body and gearing)

I've very easily fit 200m of #1.0 PE (17lb Saltiga Sensor) http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/d...nsor-8-si.html

Last edited by chris268; 30-03-2017 at 09:38 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: