Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #46  
Old 14-04-2017, 06:42 PM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
Honker
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 11,357
Here it is in slo-mo





It was mainly used for casting under the docks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 261.jpg (38.6 KB, 149 views)
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-06-2017, 04:51 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
Honker
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 11,357
Well the great landbased urban baitcaster experiment is over.

I just had to see if I was talking out my rear so I bought a newer one - it turns out I was 100% correct in everything I thought

While they are phenomenal at what they do best - like short to medium range accurate casting - they do have there limitations when distance and backswing is an issue. And they just happen to be 2 major issues where I fish.

So I'm putting the baitcaster in Moth balls till Cod Season

Last edited by yellow door 1; 01-06-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-06-2017, 10:58 AM
beans07 beans07 is offline
Poddy Bream
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hamilton, Vic
Posts: 92
Interesting topic this one. I always wanted to try a baitcaster for bream fishing but I haven't tried yet. I fish from a boat so tight places are not an issue.

I started Cod fishing years ago with spin rods reels. I bought a second hand Calcutta and a good bait cast rod and tried that. Took some getting used to as the reel was a big barrel type. I found it far more accurate and easier to cast larger distances with the cod spinner baits and lures I was using but would get a sore wrist by the end of the day due to the size and weight of the reel. Since then I have bought a Daiwa Zillion and have relegated the Calcutta to trolling for Cod and Mulloway duties and the Zillion for casting all day. Absolutely love it, would never go back to spin again for this fishing, it's quick to cast and accurate over both short and long distances.

Curious to try one for breaming
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-06-2017, 07:13 PM
Slazmo's Avatar
Slazmo Slazmo is offline
Blue Lip
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans07 View Post
Curious to try one for breaming
Go something light like a Tatula CT / Fuego platform and a 2-4 kg or lighter rod (longer than 6') and that'll sort you out for near every situation both fresh and salt.

Reminds me i need to get the baitcasters out this weekend.
__________________
Find me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/andrew.slazmo
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-06-2017, 09:09 PM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
Honker
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 11,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans07 View Post
Interesting topic this one. I always wanted to try a baitcaster for bream fishing but I haven't tried yet. I fish from a boat so tight places are not an issue.

I started Cod fishing years ago with spin rods reels. I bought a second hand Calcutta and a good bait cast rod and tried that. Took some getting used to as the reel was a big barrel type. I found it far more accurate and easier to cast larger distances with the cod spinner baits and lures I was using but would get a sore wrist by the end of the day due to the size and weight of the reel. Since then I have bought a Daiwa Zillion and have relegated the Calcutta to trolling for Cod and Mulloway duties and the Zillion for casting all day. Absolutely love it, would never go back to spin again for this fishing, it's quick to cast and accurate over both short and long distances.

Curious to try one for breaming
Yeah from a boat or yak they make perfect sense - if a head wind pops up you just adjust the casting brake and move a few meters closer to the target - but if you cant move closer to the target - you're screwed

My criteria for a land based jewie out fit is -

It has to be able to cast 40 to 50m with a 1/2 ounce jighead.

It has to be able to cast a 6 inch worm on a 1/8th, while still being capable of casting a 3/4er ounce 13cm lure.

Its need to function with limited back swing.

You need to be able to use it while wearing possum fur gloves

And it has to be able to cope with multiple lure weight changes, at the one spot, without complex mathematical equations to work out exactly how much brake will be required to avoid a birdnest in shifting wind conditions while trying for maximum distance.

I found my baitcaster can only do half the things I want it to - and if theres a stiff head wind - it can only do about 1/4 of whats required.

In ideal condition they are a joy to use - but ideal conditions dont happen much at night in winter where I fish - where as a spin rod is almost idiot proof.

And when it comes to fishing at night in winter with a howling gale - I need something closer to idiot proof

Last edited by yellow door 1; 01-06-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01-06-2017, 11:11 PM
Breamtim's Avatar
Breamtim Breamtim is offline
Big Bream
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: South West Vic
Posts: 646
Generally the more you spend on a light casting reel, the more success you'll have with light lures. I use my Alphas Sv for bream/estuary perch fishing, and it can cast a 1/12oz grub or cranka crab a good distance with accuracy. I use my alphas on most trips in the boat/kayak, and is much nicer for throwing those larger bream lures than typical spin gear. I'm planning on picking up some bfs spools for my bcs and seeing how they turn out.
Btw im running the alphas on a Majorcraft Benkei 6'5 BFS, a cheap but very nice light casting rod.

Last edited by Breamtim; 01-06-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-06-2017, 07:27 PM
greggo_1's Avatar
greggo_1 greggo_1 is offline
Blue Lip
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Beaconsfield Vic.
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
While they are phenomenal at what they do best - like short to medium range accurate casting - they do have there limitations when distance and backswing is an issue. And they just happen to be 2 major issues where I fish.

So I'm putting the baitcaster in Moth balls till Cod Season
You're dead right there Larry. Also, you do a lot of night fishing which is really difficult as well.

I've been using a baitcaster for about 10 years on Bass and Cod. There are a lot of instances where its virtually impossible to place your lure. No backswing, under overhanging branches, dusk, etc.. I always carry my spin outfit with me for just these instances, especially for casting lighter surface lures, or plastics, into or under tight structure. All this fishing is from a yak, which puts further difficulties on placing the cast, as the cast is done sitting down.

The rod is also a huge factor in choosing the lure weight. The range of weights a rod can cast is very small compared to spin outfits, especially when casting lighter weights. I ended up making my own baitcaster rods to suit my style of fishing as I couldn't find any that would cast the variety of lure weights I use - and fishing from a yak limits me to carrying two rods.
__________________
Dyslexics of the world......untie.

Stihl..ms200-088 mag
Petzl..hardware
Buckingham.. harness and spurs
Fireline...ropes

PB.Hard. 46 mtr Mountain Ash
PB. Soft. 42 mtr Trifurcated Cypress
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:18 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
Honker
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 11,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggo_1 View Post
You're dead right there Larry. Also, you do a lot of night fishing which is really difficult as well.

I've been using a baitcaster for about 10 years on Bass and Cod. There are a lot of instances where its virtually impossible to place your lure. No backswing, under overhanging branches, dusk, etc.. I always carry my spin outfit with me for just these instances, especially for casting lighter surface lures, or plastics, into or under tight structure. All this fishing is from a yak, which puts further difficulties on placing the cast, as the cast is done sitting down.

The rod is also a huge factor in choosing the lure weight. The range of weights a rod can cast is very small compared to spin outfits, especially when casting lighter weights. I ended up making my own baitcaster rods to suit my style of fishing as I couldn't find any that would cast the variety of lure weights I use - and fishing from a yak limits me to carrying two rods.
Yeah my first practice session in the field was at night and it does take a few more skills when you cant see the lure in flight - even had to turn my ipod off because the ears become so much more important when you cant see.

When I cast between 50% and 85% effort, I have very few issues - but its the 85% to 100% that get me in trouble. And unfortunately in alot of spots I fish - thats where the fish are.

Yeah I chose a rod that can cast between 1/4 and 3/4 ounce - as soon as you go below 1/4 you have to do a really exaggerated back swing to load the rod - and it still doesnt load properly - I think the reel is capable of casting lighter weights but my current rod isnt
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-06-2017, 04:17 AM
greggo_1's Avatar
greggo_1 greggo_1 is offline
Blue Lip
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Beaconsfield Vic.
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Yeah I chose a rod that can cast between 1/4 and 3/4 ounce - as soon as you go below 1/4 you have to do a really exaggerated back swing to load the rod - and it still doesnt load properly - I think the reel is capable of casting lighter weights but my current rod isnt
The outfit I made can cast a 1/8 jighead with a plastic about 20 metres, the trade-off is it's really soft for hauling in a decent fish. I caught a 52cm Bass on it and I was worried the rod would break it had such a nasty bend in it. On the other hand, I wouldn't have been able to catch the fish if I had not been able to accurately cast 1/8 at it.
__________________
Dyslexics of the world......untie.

Stihl..ms200-088 mag
Petzl..hardware
Buckingham.. harness and spurs
Fireline...ropes

PB.Hard. 46 mtr Mountain Ash
PB. Soft. 42 mtr Trifurcated Cypress
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-06-2017, 06:34 PM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
Honker
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 11,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggo_1 View Post
The outfit I made can cast a 1/8 jighead with a plastic about 20 metres, the trade-off is it's really soft for hauling in a decent fish. I caught a 52cm Bass on it and I was worried the rod would break it had such a nasty bend in it. On the other hand, I wouldn't have been able to catch the fish if I had not been able to accurately cast 1/8 at it.
Yeah when you need to hit the right hand side of a 10cm target, at short range, with a lure that matches the casting capabilities of the rod - I'd be choosing the bait caster aswell


Last edited by yellow door 1; 03-06-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-06-2017, 06:27 AM
stella fella's Avatar
stella fella stella fella is offline
Blue Lip
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lake Mac
Posts: 3,033
I feel like bait casters are certainly a high skill, high reward kinda thing. Ultimately, in the hands of a skilled, well practiced angler they will cast further and more accurately than spin gear. I'm nowhere near as skilled as some of the people I've seen on the interweb and yet I still prefer to use BC gear for close quarters scenarios.
__________________
"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, but I still get to kill something."
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-06-2017, 09:40 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
Honker
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 11,357
"KVD is often regarded among his peers on the elite circuit as one of the longest casters. When he was interviewed he said that he could reach a distance of 60 yards under ideal conditions. Take it for what it's worth."

So if I can beat KVD's 60 yarder with a tail wind and spin gear - the distance argument will be still up for discussion

I just packed a measuring tape and I'm praying for a favorable wind forecast.

Ahh dammit I'll be using 17lb sunline braid though - not sure what he uses but some of those dudes fish really heavy - I'll see what he uses on his long cast outfit -

I couldnt find it but he may also have been talking about casting with mono.

So there is only one way to settle this - and thats by totally ignoring the possible difference in tackle

If I can get near 54m - I'm probably as good at fishing as KVD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9894.jpg (38.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 04-06-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-06-2017, 08:59 PM
stella fella's Avatar
stella fella stella fella is offline
Blue Lip
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lake Mac
Posts: 3,033
I think you'll find that 50m is a surprisingly long way to cast without an 8ft+ rod and metal lure or jig. I found this video a while ago while randomly watching vids on the youtubes. I know it's not exactly comprehensive but it gives you some idea of what can be done with a bit of practice on a BC setup.

__________________
"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, but I still get to kill something."
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-06-2017, 11:16 PM
matt jorg's Avatar
matt jorg matt jorg is offline
Blue Lip
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,768
KVD and 60 yards? doing that with a Massive Yankee jig or spinnerbait on an 8 foot no doubt?
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 05-06-2017, 03:16 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
Honker
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 11,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
I think you'll find that 50m is a surprisingly long way to cast without an 8ft+ rod and metal lure or jig. I found this video a while ago while randomly watching vids on the youtubes. I know it's not exactly comprehensive but it gives you some idea of what can be done with a bit of practice on a BC setup.
]
Yeah closest I got was 47 yards (43 m) with a 6 ft rod and a half ounce - I'll check out the vid later - I've got my own to edit

Last edited by yellow door 1; 05-06-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Google