Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Leader

Leader What type, what weight, what length, etc.

Old 22-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Blue Lip

Superglue

Anyone uses it on their line to leader knots?

Any advantages / disadvantages?

Would the superglue alter fluorocarbon leader properties making it weaker? Would the connection be stronger?

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Alex

Monster Miki Addict
Old 22-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Blue Lip

Hey Alex,

Do not apply superglue to your knot!!!!

A while back i was sitting in the garage making my own lures and having a brew, sticking bibs and eyes on my homemades with super glue.

So anyway i rolled a heap of braid into a ball and applied some superglue and there was a exothermic reaction and the braid melted and emitted a lot of smoke. (try this its fun).

Since this i have done it to different brands of braid, some smoke up quickley some smoke up slowley and some dont smoke up.

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Anyone uses it on their line to leader knots?

Any advantages / disadvantages?

Would the superglue alter fluorocarbon leader properties making it weaker? Would the connection be stronger?

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Alex
Old 22-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Blue Lip

And you would use superglue on leaders why??? I would assume tying a good knot is sufficient enough. This is the most craziest thing ive heard in a while. No offence buy i reckon its an absolutely stupid idea. People should learn to tie knots properly.

Last edited by Squidgee_Man; 22-12-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 22-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Poddy Bream

uh its not to make the knot stronger its to feather out/smooth off the knot so it goes through the guides better, ive heard of people doing it before but it would probably be brittle and it would lose that 'spring' in the knot making it prone to shatter or snap on a good strike
Old 22-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgee_Man View Post
And you would use superglue on leaders why??? I would assume tying a good knot is sufficient enough. This is the most craziest thing ive heard in a while. No offence buy i reckon its an absolutely stupid idea. People should learn to tie knots properly.
I know how to tie my knots

twizt1d, you are right, that's the reason I am asking.

Last outing I lost a jighead on the last cast, the leader knot gave up after a day of non-stop casting. That got me thinking: how to protect the leader knot of that happening again.
I read in US bass forums that some people use Superglue, hence the question.

Thanks to all who constructively replied so far.

Alex

Monster Miki Addict
Old 23-12-2009, 01:38 AM
Big Bream

Try using some rod building epoxy like flexcoat. Wont react and is flexible.

Stu
Old 23-12-2009, 02:37 AM
Mature Bream

I must be one of the "stupid" ones, as well as alot of guides and most people that throw massive lures do it too!

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/p...-net-2-0g.html

Soft fast dry glue to help finish a knot.
130lb braid to 200lb leaders is the largest we use, glue smoothens it out so knot doesn't clunk threw the guides......

Greg
Old 23-12-2009, 03:03 AM
Mature Bream

Fly fishers use a product called knot sense its basically glue to seal knots and strenghtens them. Once you apply it int the shade you use sunlight ot a UV touch to set it.
There are a few other products out there too.
So not such a stupid thing to say after all.
Breno
Old 23-12-2009, 03:33 AM
Blue Lip

Well i never knew there were gluess out there to put on knots to strengthen them, my knots have never failed me thus far, is this glue just another fad? Has this stuff even been proven to work? IMO i still think if your knot is tied properly it should hold and if it doesnt i fail to see how i drop of glue will mean the difference between landing a fish and losing it. I agree wit twizd1t if its just to smooth out knots to run smoothly but as for making knots stronger im very skeptical. If anything id say the chemicals in the glue would make the line weaker, especially superglue which isnt designed for use with fishing lines. JMO

Last edited by Squidgee_Man; 23-12-2009 at 04:34 AM.
Old 23-12-2009, 04:00 AM
Blue Lip

I have been wondering about applying glue to the Bimini/albright connection because no matter how close i trim them i still get a tag end that fluffs up after going through the guides a few dozen times.It never pops the knot, it just annoys me
cheers nereus
Surface 39cm and work in progress
H/B mully 83cm and not so bitter
S/P mully 85cm on 4lb FC
Old 23-12-2009, 04:21 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgee_Man View Post
Well i never knew there were gluess out there to put on knots to strengthen them, my knots have never failed me thus far, is this just glue just another fad? Has this stuff even been proven to work? IMO i still think if your knot is tied properly it should hold and if it doesnt i fail to see how i drop of glue will mean the difference between landing a fish and losing it. I agree wit twizd1t if its just to smooth out knots to run smoothly but as for making knots stronger im very skeptical. If anything id say the chemicals in the glue would make the line weaker, especially superglue which isnt designed for use with fishing lines. JMO
As said by a number of other members and Alex it is not about strength, it about stopping the knot from catching on the guides.
Old 24-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Squidgee_Man And you would use superglue on leaders why??? I would assume tying a good knot is sufficient enough. This is the most craziest thing ive heard in a while. No offence buy i reckon its an absolutely stupid idea. People should learn to tie knots properly.
Amazingly strong and unrelated reply

As for using glue I would think it gets too fiddly. I generally check all knot when I remember
Old 25-12-2009, 04:03 AM
Poddy Bream

The pommy coarse fishermen have been using it for a long time now, pretty much since superglue became available, they use mainly mono lines though. I have used it on leader knots with no apparent adverse effect on the braid or the flouro, just a drop on the knot, wet your fingers and 'roll' the knot and glue together. Holds down the tags or frayed ends and goes through the guides much easier, and I would think as a result the knot would have to be stronger.
Old 25-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Blue Lip

Would wax do the same thing i wonder? The knots do get a bit of hammering from going through the guides constantly. I guess it all depends on how long a leader you like.

Cheers
Tim

Proudly Supported By

Flow-Rite Australia(Marine Warehouse) http://www.marinewarehouse.com.au/pr...orts/flow-rite

Manky Jack http://mankyjack.com/

Searing Tackle-Pontoon 21-Damiki-Fish Arrow http://www.searingtackle.com.au/
Old 25-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Hyper Tackle

I've used super glue on leader knot's before but on heavier PE to Fluoro for Salmon Fishing without any problems, the only hassle is that it takes ages for the small drop that you put on the knot to dry, but as mentioned makes the knot a lot smoother for casting.

Or play around with other knots where the leader ends don't face towards the front of the guides but face back instead as seen the pic originally posted by Mark M, this is the smoothest casting knot I've tried out

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg all%20pics%20in%20one.jpg (142.1 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by Hyper Tackle; 25-12-2009 at 11:09 AM.