Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Leader

Leader What type, what weight, what length, etc.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Mature Bream

fishraider.com.au
scroll through forum to tackle talk.
posted by jewgaffer on the 6-2-08.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Big Bream

Cheers, will take a look

PB, Big SA Coorong Black, 47cm fork, 3" Shrimp
----------
For the record I'm not kiwi, I just like taking the puss out of them....
...Smashing black
Old 03-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Blue Lip

I take back anything i may have said on this topic,for me i now use the Simple FG knot.Its better than anything i have tried and your more likely to pull or straighten hooks than bust it on a fish.Saying that the same can be said for the albright etc but the Simple FG is also one of the slimmest for going through the guides and easy to tie with practice
cheers nereus
Surface 39cm and work in progress
H/B mully 83cm and not so bitter
S/P mully 85cm on 4lb FC
Old 12-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Big Bream

try the Sebile knot man, i find it easier to tie.

i have only tied it to flouro, and it still works i can't make it slip with gloved hands.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Mature Bream

I use double uni because of ease to tie and haven't needed to change...

I tried the Albright (9-11 wrap) a while ago and could never consistantly get it right, when i would tie it i'd be very happy with the knot because it would look exactly as it should in each stage of the diagram i was using, but i never found it to be as strong as a double uni and quite a few times the knot would break as it goes through the guides which was very frustrating..

I hear talk about improved albrights etc I would love it if someone who uses an albright could tell me exactly how they tie it

cheers joey
Old 12-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Big Bream

I had a look at the simple FG know on youtube. Looks a pain in the neck to tie. Having to keep braid tight alone would be a nuisance on the bank of a river.. The movie goes for 7minutes plus too - I gave up after 4 and half with him still tying it. That's eating into too much of my fishing time! Centauri knot for me. Finished in about a minute with no fussing about.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Big Bream

the FG, PR and Sebile knots are for jigging & casting $50 lures at pelagics, if you do that its worth the time to tie them

i think they would be good to know for surf fishing with long wind on leaders too. Anything that flies through guides with enough inertia to land 100 meters plus should be as slim as possible.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Big Bream

Yeah, fair enough. Sorry, assumed the thread was about bream fishing and wondered why you'd spend that long on a knot.

Last edited by Cortinaboy; 12-02-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 13-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Big Bream

There was an article in the Spring 2010 edition of Fishing Australia magazine about leader connections. I found it very informative.

The article covered the topics of single strand connections and double connections. I will dwell here on the single strand connections, as that's easily the most common set up for bream fishing.

In this article the double uni was rated at only 45% of line strength, the poorest figure mentioned when compared to the other knots in common usage. The double uni was also said to be a little bulkier than some of the better knots as well.

The strongest knot was the 'plaited leader splice' with gives 100% of line strength, a nice neat and small knot and is relatively easy to tie.

The knot with the second highest strength was the nail knot (commonly used by flyfishermen to join leaders to their flylines). This knot rated 72% of line strength, but it falls down by being overly complicated to tie, requiring special equipment.

The 'slim beauty' and the 'Kaneit' knots both rated at 65% of line strength. Both of these knots were nice and small, allowing it to flow through the guides of your rod easily and both were classed as being of medium ease to tie.

Personally, I use the Kaneit, as I find it slightly easier to tie than the slim beauty.

Mick
Old 13-02-2011, 02:03 AM
Blue Lip

I use Kaneit knot exclusively these days as well...

Monster Miki Addict
Old 13-02-2011, 02:24 AM
Blue Lip

I go a PR for jigging... such a pain to learn, but it breaks at 100% and is necessary with it's thin profile when winding in an extra long 80lb leader.

Anything smaller than 20lb I just go a uni uni. Most reliable and tie-able when you're out on the water proper.
Old 16-02-2011, 01:12 AM
Mature Bream

Does anyone have a link for the kaneit knot? i can't find one anywhere....

cheers joey
Old 16-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
The 'slim beauty' and the 'Kaneit' knots both rated at 65% of line strength. Both of these knots were nice and small, allowing it to flow through the guides of your rod easily and both were classed as being of medium ease to tie.

Personally, I use the Kaneit, as I find it slightly easier to tie than the slim beauty.

Mick
x2
Old 16-02-2011, 01:22 AM
Blue Lip

Recently changed from an Albright to a Kaneit.

A noticable difference.
Old 16-02-2011, 01:28 AM
Mature Bream

a quick google search came up with this. it doesn't show you how to tie the Kaneit, but it does describe how to tie it from a slim beauty. Hope this helps those who don't know:

"The kaneit knot was described in the Sport Fishing Australia magazine. It's a knot for joining the PE line to the mono or fluorocarbon leader line. The terrific instructional DVD Mr. Kane Dysart and Mr. Bill Classon demonstrates the kaneit knot.
AFN "BARRA TACTICS"
The kaneit knot is much easier than FG knot, and superior to SF knot for Barramundi fishing on lures.

The kaneit knot is very similar to the slim beauty knot. It's a slim beauty knot with a uni knot of 7times wapping the main line without wrapping the main line of 7 times going up and 7 times coming back.
The slim beauty knot is very reliable and strong knot too."

Slim Beauty eg.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi4BE...layer_embedded