Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Leader

Leader What type, what weight, what length, etc.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 24-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Big Bream

Question Clips

Whats the smallest clip on the market?

Ive seen on manufacturer (R2S?) that have a scissor type clip tiny as.

What are your thoughts on clips?

Normally Id use a Homer Rhode Knot but want to try new technonogically fings
Old 25-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Mature Bream

I use these ones. Just over 10mm long (clip on the ruler between the 4-5cm mark) and thin enough to fit through my guides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0791.jpg (71.7 KB, 517 views)
Old 25-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Big Bream

Thanks Dockfish

They look good

I have seen smaller micro clips but they are standard on small R2S I think?

I know many guys don't like clips but a quick change seems a pain.

Finding split rings small enough is another

Cant seem to find the same rings that are standard on a Baby Vibe?
Old 30-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Big Bream

Are you using clips so as to not to tie a perfection loop? Thus you're looking for ease of change of lure?

Clips is one of those things where it's been a raving debate for a while.

The problem with clips is that even though they are basically taking the place of the pefection loop, they are stiff and have no give. Thus, the action of the lure is stumped somewhat. With some lures, the action is completely gone.

I understand people who use clips don't know how to tie the perfection loop or just don't want to tie it all the time.

I've been on many a trip with guys who use the microclip or other clips in place of the perfection loop and they don't catch as many as i do and they'll wonder why.

There is also the other aspect that you have a wire clip rubbing against another metal object in the water. To us, it is no big deal as we don't hear it or know about it.

To fish though, it can make a big difference as they can feel micro-vibrations through their lateral line. Can it put them off. Hell yeah.

I have a great friend who does a lot of research and showed me how fish stay clear of a little lure attached by a clip compared to those on a perfection loop and compared to those straight tied with no loop.

The end result was he did a echo vibration pattern analysis using frequency and wavelength and found that the metal on metal extracted another frequency.

I seriously thought this was freaky but made logical sense.

All in all, research does pave the way for differing knowledge and methods to improve certain skills. Admittedly, we're not talking about pelagics which have a different feeding pattern.

If you like clips, sure, use them, but personally, I'd tie a perfection loop at all times.
Member of the IFFF Fly Tying Group

Martin Luther King Jr (1963) said, "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but when he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

"Limit your catch....... Don't catch your Limit"
Old 30-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Blue Lip

I liked the Mustad fly clips while they lasted (on the shelves). I can't seem to find the packets that come in one size anymore - they seem to be discontinued, and what's left in tackle stores are mostly the multi-size ones.

They were a breeze to use - never rusted on me contrary to what's been happening with others, and just looked like a split ring to me. Made changing jighead weights a breeze.

Now I just settle with tying uni-knots tightened straight to the eye (when fishing plastics) because I find sometimes the loop gets caught behind the eye where the hook wire ends, and has the tendency to cut the line. Don't fish hardbodies a lot.

All the gear, no idea
Old 31-12-2006, 12:15 AM
Big Bream

Email the breammaster store.

They have some excellent ones which are in the micro class.

Ive been using them and they work a treat.
Old 31-12-2006, 01:35 AM
Blue Lip

kamikazeghost, that research your friend is doing sounds interesting. However, despite the completely logical argument, I assume the metal on metal noise making a difference is purely when using soft plastics that are supposed to emit nothing more than low frequency pulses? When using a hardbody, I would've assumed that all the split rings, trebles etc. rubbing against one another would already be producing the sound to a much greater extent than the clip would by rubbing against the towpoint?

Just a thought,

Owen
Old 31-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Big Bream

The hooks and split rings would be making the same sort of metal on metal sounds but they are probably much quieter as there would be buggar all tension on the contact points as the rings and hooks are just coming along for the ride.

The tow point is under tension from the line and therefore would make different sounds.

I don't trust my loop knots all that much yet (probably should practice more) so tend to use the clips with hardbodies.
Old 31-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Blue Lip

Hi Acanthopagrus

i think the clips your thinking of are destributed by the R2S rep but are actually made by Deacoy (A R2S partner).

they are tiny!! the lightest i have which is size 00... im not sure it that means anything to you but thats half the size of the nail on my middle finger (i have smallish fingers) and has a rated breaking strain of 18lb.

dont have a picture for you at the moment but check them out on the R2S site: http://www.river2sea.com.au/categories.asp?cID=386

HTH

Jiggyjigs - Gettin Jiggy With it
www.jiggyjigs.com

Quickboats - Unfold Your Freedom
www.quickboats.com