Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 31-10-2016, 06:31 AM
Fingerling

Talking Newbie tackle talk

Hi

I am new to Bream fishing just starting out did not want to go to expensive to start out, see how it all pans out.

I have fished a few times throughout my life going away camping etc, but that was strictly worm on a hook or prawns caught from wherever I was fishing.

I have already purchased a Shimano Raider Spin Rod 1-4 kg with a Shimano Sedona 2000FE Reel.(I took advantage of a retailers spend $150 and get $40 off). Although I ended up spending $188 after discount all up for those items so not a bad start.

Anyhow my problem is that I need a basic kit of lures and other tackle to be used in the Maribyrnong river specifically, I will be looking at spending around $200 which will have to include Jigheads, softs, hards, line and leader (And anything else I am obviously missing that I may have forgotten to mention or do not know that I need). I understand that this could blow out in no time flat so I am hopeing just for the start I can keep to this budget if possible.

For the line I was going to buy 4lb fireline braid and use a 6lb berkley vanish for the leader. Should I go smaller or is this sufficient? From what I have read this is good size lines to start in.

I have watched a lot of videos on you tube to do with lure fishing and I really want to give it a try.

All and any help is much appreciated!
Old 31-10-2016, 06:39 PM
Blue Lip

You're off to a good start mate. For line I'd go with Sunline super PE in 8lb or Daiwa J Braid and just grab a 8lb & 4lb spool of FC rock fluro for leader. As for plastics, grab a pack each of berkley powerbait power minnows in 3" pumpkinseed, bloodworm and pearl watermelon, Z man Grubz in 2.5" motor oil, greasy prawn and watermelon. As far as hardbodies go I have found that Jackall chubbies and Smith camions are the best cranks to use and I have also hade quite a bit of success on Atomic cranks.
Old 31-10-2016, 07:55 PM
Fingerling

Awesome Stella thanks! Good start in the right direction.
Old 31-10-2016, 08:51 PM
Poddy Bream

Looks like you're on the right track mate. A lot of people are giving good reviews on j-braid so perhaps spending $35 on some 6lb j-braid would be a better option than fire line. I found a few years back when I started using light braids that slightly under filling the spool avoids wind knots a bit, at least it's a good idea whilst you're still learning how to manage your line/retrieve. I use tt head lock jig heads for nearly all applications, a slightly cheaper option would be have a look through the fishing section of your local big w and/or Kmart for nitro jig heads. I'd recommend buying from 1/20 to 1/6 for the nong, although 1/6 are quite heavy and bream prefer a much slower sink and longer pause, never know you might bump into a solid Jew. Strike pro do a good range of hard bodies which are a much cheaper option than jackall, norries, ecogear etc. the debate on spending the dollars up front or going the cheaper option is a never ending one and you've made your intention clear that you're on a budget so I'd say go the cheaper alternative without buying absolute garbage. Good luck on the beginning of the end for your savings account 👍🏻
Old 01-11-2016, 07:05 PM
Fingerling

Some good info there thekingofgloom thank you!

Is there a way to test new fishing water to find out where the snags are is there a method? I know I will loose a whole heap of stuff but id like to minimise this if possible.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:02 PM
Blue Lip

For the Melbourne CBD systems (nong, yarra, docks) all you really need to get you going is:

A micro vibe
35 – 42mm blade
A 35 - 40 mm medium/deep diving bibbed hard (strike pro pygmy, atomic hard shad are good starting budget options)
A 2.5in zman motor oil grub or 80mm bloodworm squidgy wriggler on a 1/16 jighead
6” gulp worm
Cranka Crab

If you use the right one for the situation then you should be able to catch bream all over town using the above. 6lb or 4lb fc leader is fine for most places.... I tend to go 6lb at the docks and 4lb everywhere else. I’d also avoid the fireline – I don’t like the fused dental floss type lines. It also becomes problematical when fishing "on the drop" at the docks where it will coil due to line memory. A nice limp braid is what you want to go for.

For this time of year, or if you’re not fishing the docks, then you could probably drop the blade and vibe. You could probably skip the crab too... Cranka crabs are great but I use them in specific spots where I know the snags and the fish – not really a search/prospecting lure for me – also probably not a good lure to start with if you’re concerned about throwing bucks away unnecessarily.

Not sexy, but quite honestly if you’re bank bashing the nong over spring you’d not go far wrong by just sticking to fishing atomic shads/pygmies, wrigglers/grubz or a gulp sandworm in natural colours. If you’re hitting the nong and want to maximise your chances you’ll want to spend most of your time working along close to the bank with your hardbody or your soft plastic around the high tide. Cast parallel to the bank about 1 – 1.5m out and then retrieve back along the bank. Try different retrieves and don’t get discouraged.

You’ll learn snags by snagging. If in doubt fish an area first with soft plastics… you’ll learn the terrain and it doesn’t cost too much if you snag up. Saying that you’re fairly safe though with a bibbed lure running along the bank of the nong. It can get wedged in the rocks but as you’re close in you can usually get to it from the bank. Bigger issue when starting for me was putting lures into trees 

Good luck.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:37 PM
Blue Lip

Welcome to BM,

I fish the Nong a bit land based and the set up I use is as follows:

Daiwa SOL 2000 spooled with the J-Braid 6-8lb and 4-6lb leader (Famell Spinning Fluoro, Sunline Sniper or FC rock).

Hard Body (HB) lures: Strike Pro Baby Arch Back or Small Fry (discontinued now) in the shallows or close to the edge.

Medium/Deep divers - Cranka Shad or Atomic shads. Also Berkley Puppy Dogs are good in slightly deeper water. I prefer floating lures as suspending are tend to sink in fresh water especially after rain.

Soft plastics: Zman grubs 2.5" in motor oil, Pumpkin seed and blood worm colours, Damiki Monster miki on the drop off and deeper out.

Jigheads: 1/12 to 1/30 size 2 hook depending on the wind and current. High tide is the best time.

Good luck in your luring quest

Monster Miki Addict
Old 02-11-2016, 02:01 AM
Fingerling

Wow so much information! Thank you all for your replies.

I do not think I will be able to stick to my budget might go over just a tad.

However it will definitely be christmas in about a week so many parcels coming.

So far I have bought as follows:

4x SX40
1x Atomic 40 Shad
1x Jigheads TT Headlockz in 1/16 #2 and 1/20 #2
1x 6lb Jbraid 150m
1x 4lb Bream FC rock leader 50m (Im not sure if this was the one suggested)
1x 2.5" Zman Grubz Greasy Prawn

Totalling $157

Still need to get:
2.5" Zman Grubz Motor Oil AND Pumpkin Seed
Probably going to need a few more packs of jigheads maybe I will look at 1/8 and 1/30
I wouldnt mind getting a couple more Atomics.
I have not looked at getting any worm like softs so this is another maybe.

I am thinking Ill get this going by about the $250 mark which is quite reasonable!

Thank you all again for your replies!
Old 02-11-2016, 02:07 AM
Poddy Bream

As mentioned above using soft plastics will reduce your chances of snagging up (one hook point opposed to 6+). The patto is another good option whilst learning because of the clear water and generally snag less bottom, if there is such a thing. I'm keen to fish the patto more myself as the water temps rise if you're keen for a session soon.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:45 AM
Fingerling

I sent you a PM thekingofgloom.
Old 28-11-2016, 06:03 PM
Mature Bream

hey mate sent u pm

ur parcel I sent came back to me so ill resend this arvo I used the wrong packaging oops

so fingers crossed gets to you by Friday at the latest or Monday next week

cheers

Ben
Old 01-12-2016, 03:41 AM
Mature Bream

I need to preface this by saying that I've never (needed to) fish the metro spots. The first two lures I'd have on my list would be the ZMan 2.5 motor oil (in fact its the only plastic I use now, not that I use many plastics) and some Hurricane Twitch 40s. The other diving 40mm lures you have and have been advised to get are fine, the Hurricane is just a little bit heavier and casts better in my opinion and is still relatively cheap. As for vibes, the Ecogear zx's are a lot more snag resistant than regular vibes and are also all I use now. I understand that micro vibes have their place, particularly around the Docks, but I've never needed them but that is probably more to do with where I fish. The other thing that should be on your list are some snaps, pliers, braid scissors, spare trebles. You've got heaps of good advice, now go get 'em!