Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 28-01-2018, 04:20 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagz View Post
Those old exists were and imho still are, better than the new models

Easy to maintain and a pleasure to fish
Couldn’t agree with you more.
Old 30-01-2018, 06:04 AM
Blue Lip

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DTJFGemwZVg
Old 23-03-2018, 03:19 AM
Big Bream

Anyone picked up one of these yet?
Old 25-03-2018, 04:04 AM
Mature Bream

Given the price gulf, it would be hard to justify buying the stella. Shimano tragi s only me thinks. Watch the stella plummet in price.
Old 25-03-2018, 05:50 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait Caster View Post
Given the price gulf, it would be hard to justify buying the stella. Shimano tragi s only me thinks. Watch the stella plummet in price.
Yep, my local has them for $1250. Thought someone might have picked one up from the usual japanese sites.
Old 25-03-2018, 06:24 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLuvski View Post
Yep, my local has them for $1250. Thought someone might have picked one up from the usual japanese sites.
A lot of the usual OS shops have either sold out or aren't stocking them yet. Shimano Aust will have to come to the party. Probably when they shift stock of the previous models. Crazy pricing on them atm.
Old 25-03-2018, 06:37 AM
Blue Lip

Looking at them with the usual sceptical eyes, it seems that the only major changes are as follows.

1 - Body design and surface treatment - how well is this going to stand up? Similar to but undoubtedly they've learned from previous reels like the Chronarch and the Calais / Antares with their shiny treatments - but will be very keen to see how durable this latest incarnation will hold up...

2 - Anti Reverse - change which is a long time coming however is now only forward winding - where they've omitted the reverse / AR disengaging switch... For the love of money that is one of the most useful things on a spinning reel...

3 - Waterpoofness - sick to death of this IP ingress rating hoopla crossing over to reels... Just allows irresponsible owners to start duning reels while exclaiming to anyone that wants to listen "look my reels waterproof"...

Case in point... ahh I've seem to have deleted the offending picture of a Exist underwater for that prize shot beside the fish...

But here's one that just popped up on my FB - rest of the pic removed to protect their image - just wanted the reel in water bit.

28953982_10215404935940162_7863730843514409033_o.jpg

And that price increase - abhorrent!

Last edited by Slazmo; 25-03-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 25-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Big Bream

That price increase is crazy. Seems like the price of the new model is pretty much unchanged in USA and Japan but over here its gone up by over $300!!!
Old 25-03-2018, 05:32 PM
Mature Bream

I had a bit of a whinge within another thread about the price point of the new Daiwa Sol. It appears that the 2 big players are extorting money from us on models of reels that are both popular and reliable, those reels that come with pedigree and solid reputations built on years of practical fishing.
For me I will be still sticking to my FD and FE series Stella's at the prices they are selling the new Stella at now. As for the Sol thing well Certates can be purchased at a much similar price. Simply we are being taken for a ride by the importers and distributers no wonder many of us turn to the OS market place. Shimano and Daiwa do not give a hoot where we purchase a reel from as they still get to sell it however the decline in the local market should be ringing alarm bells for local importers, distributers, wholesalers and lastly the meat in the sandwich tackle shop owner.
Old 25-03-2018, 07:44 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevric View Post
For me I will be still sticking to my FD and FE series Stella's at the prices they are selling the new Stella at now.
Absolutely hence why going old is the better way IMHO... Seeing FE's going for anywhere between $350 with box to $650 with box depending on use and condition is the show piece of their durability and their customer retention.

This is another reason why after a few series it seems that when you go to order parts from the majors they usually say "sorry no more parts available" as to move you on and get you to get the new model...

It doesn't work 90% of the time for most. I mean I just got $70 worth of small parts freighted from the States for my old Curado's (gearset & carbontex, 2 new handles, chrome metal worm pawl caps and nut plate cover etc), things will still happen...

I remember speaking to a guy a long while back who'd spoken to John Dunphy about the parts issue - John stated that he would guarantee parts for 10 years on a reel series - so far since his passing it seems its gone to the wayside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevric View Post
Shimano and Daiwa do not give a hoot where we purchase a reel from as they still get to sell it
Same goes with servicing for both major and other minor manufacturers - for instance the FD Stella I got after going there... Still charged for the Stella service experience too.

Missing seals, missing friction ring and post, crushed AR seal, debris in the grease, badly corroded body (owner not notified about - that's what worries me about Stella's)...

Was a goddamn nightmare!

20160903_082837-1.jpg

20160903_083533.jpg

20160903_083316-1.jpg

20160903_082626-1.jpg

20160903_082740-1.jpg

And the majors wonder why people go elsewhere to buy OS and get their reels done by others... Whats a shame is that the smaller retailers hurt from the trickle feed down effect from their top tier status greed.

Rant over - Hello Monday
Old 10-05-2018, 08:11 AM
Big Bream

Looks like the price has dropped to the $999 mark in oz and can be picked up for around 63000 yen shipped. I’ve not been able to find any reviews that aren’t promotional yet. Anyone taken the plunge yet ?
Old 10-05-2018, 06:55 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
2 - Anti Reverse - change which is a long time coming however is now only forward winding - where they've omitted the reverse / AR disengaging switch... For the love of money that is one of the most useful things on a spinning reel...
dont mean to sidetrack, but how many people actually use or know how to use this feature?
i certainly never worked out why its there, why would you need to wind backwards?
ive asked this question before but never actually got an answer.
im sure theres many others that have nfi what it is either, so ill ask the question for all the numb numbs....
Old 10-05-2018, 09:05 PM
Mature Bream

A lot of deep jig style fishos use backwinding to stay in contact with the lure on the drop. I certainly do for impoundment bass fishing.
Old 13-05-2018, 09:02 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassifier View Post
A lot of deep jig style fishos use backwinding to stay in contact with the lure on the drop. I certainly do for impoundment bass fishing.
Thanks mate, i didnt even realise people did that haha, will have to try and see if it is for me or not, many thanks
Cheers
Old 14-05-2018, 03:57 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple5ive View Post
dont mean to sidetrack, but how many people actually use or know how to use this feature?
i certainly never worked out why its there, why would you need to wind backwards?
ive asked this question before but never actually got an answer.
im sure theres many others that have nfi what it is either, so ill ask the question for all the numb numbs....
Back reeling is very effective in areas of strong current to allow your lure to move in a controlled manner from pocket to pocket without having to freespool the bail. Very common in the US amongst salmon fishers who "hotshot" from rock to rock ( the back eddies ) in fast flowing rivers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: