Go Back   Bream Master Forums > FishPhart > Cameras and Accessories

Cameras and Accessories What Camera to Buy be it Big or Small and What to Get With it.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 11:40 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paps View Post
Anyone know if either the Olympus or Nikon shoot print media quality images?

Hi Paps,

Nowadays almost any half decent Point and Shoot camera is able to take print quality images, depending on the size & quality of the print you are going for but but for magazines and other publications 5MP+ camera can do the job quite easily. I don't want to bore you with all the details but it should be fine.

If you ever need help with printing or photoshop just shoot me a pm.

cheers
Old 04-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Blue Lip

Appreciate it mate! I'll definitely take you up on that should the need arise

I've been keeping an eye out for a viable alternative to my DSLR, some locations are just too risky...
Old 05-03-2014, 12:04 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paps View Post
Appreciate it mate! I'll definitely take you up on that should the need arise

I've been keeping an eye out for a viable alternative to my DSLR, some locations are just too risky...
Nah you are right, plus the extra added weight of a dslr unless you go for mirror less which have their pros and cons.

Cheers
D
Old 05-03-2014, 03:11 AM
Big Bream

"DP Review" have a fair few pointers and detailed reviews (both site based and user based) that may point you in the right direction. Really from a 'lay-mans perspective' (which is me) a tough point and shoot like the Nikon and Olympus are great for standard size images and web photos. Once you start enlarging your images the purists (pixel peepers) will be complaining about noise and over correction.

Really though, if you can manage to capture some quality compositions and images on the Olympus at lower iso settings (it has settings down to ISO100 btw) you can't really tell the difference between it an a DSLR.

Lastly, just remember, DSLR's are about planning and composing a picture; tough point and shoots are really about capturing the moment (esp in tough conditions where you risk damaging $2-3K worth of equipment) - just my 2 cents. One thing I love about the Olympus is I can literally turn on the camera and take a shot in seconds (and I'm counting with less fingers than on one hand ). Very handy if you don't wanna miss that wildlife moment that doesn't hold a pose.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:19 AM
Mature Bream

Sorry to hijack this thread but I hope it could give someone better understanding about digital cameras in general.

Point & Shoot:

Point and shoot are not meant to be for printing high quality photos in the first place due to their tiny sensor but we can't really afford a $50000 Hassleblad for the perfect quality image.

Everything is a bit of trade-off. Point and shoot cameras are very light and its easy to take pictures quickly without having to muck around with settings. They are generally cheaper and the quality is not really that bad. Like YellaFella mentioned, keep the iso to the lowest settings to minimise the amount of noise.

But, if you do get a picture in the daylight (generally less noisy) you can easily print it in good quality bigger than 20 x 24" and that's huge.

P&S cameras are a cheap and fun way to get good pictures. But don't expect too much in terms of quality. Also I would like to mention that do not get caught up by the "mega pixels" myth. More megapixels does not means high quality picture in fact it can be counter intuitive on a small sensor as of a point and shoot cameras. The higher number of mega pixels it has, the noisier it will be in the low light conditions.

8MP on a larger sensor will have much better quality than 8MP on a smaller sensor but having a larger sensor definitely will enable you to get higher quality photos. So that is the reason why you see DSLRs with 10 megapixels having better quality than point and shoot cameras with 20MPs

IMO you only need higher megapixels when you want to crop a specific part of the photo that you have taken and you want to enlarge it without losing quality. E.g Say a flower from the background.

Last edited by simpledude; 05-03-2014 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 20-02-2015, 07:57 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpledude View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread but I hope it could give someone better understanding about digital cameras in general.

Point & Shoot:

Point and shoot are not meant to be for printing high quality photos in the first place due to their tiny sensor but we can't really afford a $50000 Hassleblad for the perfect quality image.

Everything is a bit of trade-off. Point and shoot cameras are very light and its easy to take pictures quickly without having to muck around with settings. They are generally cheaper and the quality is not really that bad. Like YellaFella mentioned, keep the iso to the lowest settings to minimise the amount of noise.

But, if you do get a picture in the daylight (generally less noisy) you can easily print it in good quality bigger than 20 x 24" and that's huge.

P&S cameras are a cheap and fun way to get good pictures. But don't expect too much in terms of quality. Also I would like to mention that do not get caught up by the "mega pixels" myth. More megapixels does not means high quality picture in fact it can be counter intuitive on a small sensor as of a point and shoot cameras. The higher number of mega pixels it has, the noisier it will be in the low light conditions.

8MP on a larger sensor will have much better quality than 8MP on a smaller sensor but having a larger sensor definitely will enable you to get higher quality photos. So that is the reason why you see DSLRs with 10 megapixels having better quality than point and shoot cameras with 20MPs

IMO you only need higher megapixels when you want to crop a specific part of the photo that you have taken and you want to enlarge it without losing quality. E.g Say a flower from the background.
Best explanation I've heard for while,my Nikon 120 is used to produce prints around 1000mm wide and the 6 mp will do the same.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: