Go Back   Bream Master Forums > FishPhart > Tips and Hints

Tips and Hints Share Your Experience and Help Others Get That Dream Shot

Old 01-09-2011, 06:32 AM
Big Bream

Most of my Soft-plastic fishing is done casting tight to structure (Pontoons, Boats, pylons etc). For this i will go with a light jighead of atleast 1/24 up to 1/40oz. I don't have a particular favourite SP as i like to give most of them a fair go but some that have produced for me are: Gulp 2" Shrimp, Baitbreath Rush Craws, Squidgy 80mm Wrigglers & Damiki D-Grubs. Once the SP has landed its just a matter of waiting and watching. Keep close attention to your line for any potential sign of a bite. My SP outfit is a Nitro Vapor 66 matched to a 2004 Luvias with 4lb Nanofil & 4lb fluoro leader.
Goodluck mate, keep persisting and eventually you will crack it!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCrusader View Post
It does help mate, what sort of 'Strike' does a Bream actually have. Beside just grabbing it as soon as it hits the water(my only experience catching Bream)

Maybe im missing potential hook ups???
Depends mate, sometimes they will just gently mouth the plastic, other times suck it in then spit it very quickly other times they will just smash the whole thing. The important thing to remember is to make sure you keep a close eye on your line as this is your best indicator of a bite.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy96 View Post
Where I fish the pike only get to about 50cm so I tend to lock the drag up and give them a good yank towards the boat before they get too much of a chance to bite me off. As for lures you can't go past an 80mm Squidgy Wriggler in bloodworm for simplicity. Rig it on a 1 gram or resin jig head for water less than 2m 2 gram for water 2m+. Simply let the lure sink to the bottom (indicated when the line goes slack) then use the rod tip to impart action (If the rod moves 20cm so does your lure) then wind up slack. My personal favourite retreive is just a simple double twitch.

When you fish light jigheads the lure sinks slowly which is ideal for bream as you will find they take the lure on the drop. Sometimes this will be indicated by the slightest tap in the line (line bite) or by the rod almost being reefed from your hands. Either way it is important to strike at the fish to ensure a good hook up and to also help prevent deep (gut and gills) hookings.

As for line 4lb flurocarbon leader and 4lb braid will see you through most situations, however certain loactions might require you to go heavier or lighter.
Good luck
When you say ÃDohf the rod tip moves 20cm' is that about right for bream or smaller movements?
Old 01-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCrusader View Post
Each day fishing with these SP's I learn a micron more. Where I fish I am pretty sure there are Bream because they hit bread off the top of the water occasionally. Its got probably a couple of thousand boats with rocks and pontoons everywhere. I might be just not good enough to entice these crafty creatures yet. Will plug along till it clicks
Stick at it mate, you will pick it up .. I think my next piece of advice would be, dont look to far into it all.. Once you get the basics, the rest comes with experience.. Im sure as the months get warmer, you will be hooking the fish! might be handy for you to grab a lure scent, to increase the attention payed to your lure if fish are around... S factor works a treat
Old 01-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Big Bream

Bream are moody too. Sometimes they are inquisitive and will swim up and look but no touch.
Other times I reckon they have a lookout off to the side with a radio set. As soon as your concentration lags they let their mate know who grabs the placcie by the tale giving it a good yank just to wake you up.
Sometimes they will grab it and run for cover like a seagull with a chip to stay away from their mates.
Othertimes they will just taste the lure like a food critic and spit it out in a hurry.

Light jigheads sink slower so give the bream more time grab it as it sinks past them. This looks a bit more natural too. When you see bait, is it normally swimming along fairly level or diving for the bottom like a rock?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: