Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Hulls

Hulls Come in here to find info on that next boat you buy…

Old 11-02-2016, 07:48 AM
Mature Bream

420 renegade

Hi all, sorry for so many questions. New boat search is doing my head in.
So I've sold my 510 Quinny legend and now looking for a bream boat. Was thinking poly but in Adelaide it's not viable IMO. Half settled on the Quinny 420 renegade with a 40 hp yammy 4 stroke. Also have the option of a merc 40 hp 4 stroke...
What are peoples opinion on
1. The 420 renegade as a boat - for 2 6 foot 100kg blokes.
2. Choice of motor
Merc package is $400 cheaper.

Open to other suggestions.

Thanks in advance
GETTING A HEADACHE
Old 11-02-2016, 08:46 AM
Mature Bream

Renegade rides really well in chop, better than most Tinnys of similar size.
Downside is they are not the most stable, 2 x 100kg blokes moving around the boat will create some movement.
Go the Yamaha, great motor.
Other option bluefin wildcat, better built, more stable but sadly the Quinny rides a touch better in the rough.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:54 PM
Mature Bream

Up the engine to the fifty mate... with two 100kg blokes plus boat weight (they are heavy little things) with floors battery leccy etc you will need it. My mate has the 440 with a 60 and trust me you wouldnt want any less on it.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:30 PM
Blue Lip

Have to agree with the max hp line of thinking.
I also agree with the yamaha. IMO the $400 you save on the Merc will hurt you if you decide to sell at some point. Looked at a Zook at all?
Never been in a 420 but there is no stability issues in my 460. Certainly had to be aware of things in my 420 Dory though but it was a lighter boat.
Despite Telwater selling a similar hull as a Stacer I would stick with the Quinny. The underwater section is where its different and where it counts in the rough.
They are a great boat, best tinnie i have ever had and i love. Ertainly has been money well spent. The only draw back for me is the weight which at times makes it impossible to use in places where the old dory excelled.

Its a work in progress
Old 11-02-2016, 06:43 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzza View Post
Renegade rides really well in chop, better than most Tinnys of similar size.
Downside is they are not the most stable, 2 x 100kg blokes moving around the boat will create some movement.
Go the Yamaha, great motor.
Other option bluefin wildcat, better built, more stable but sadly the Quinny rides a touch better in the rough.
bugga, i was on a budget and didn't want to go over $15k ish
Old 11-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke4220 View Post
Up the engine to the fifty mate... with two 100kg blokes plus boat weight (they are heavy little things) with floors battery leccy etc you will need it. My mate has the 440 with a 60 and trust me you wouldnt want any less on it.
hows is your mates 440 stability wise?
Old 11-02-2016, 06:47 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
Have to agree with the max hp line of thinking.
I also agree with the yamaha. IMO the $400 you save on the Merc will hurt you if you decide to sell at some point. Looked at a Zook at all?
Never been in a 420 but there is no stability issues in my 460. Certainly had to be aware of things in my 420 Dory though but it was a lighter boat.
Despite Telwater selling a similar hull as a Stacer I would stick with the Quinny. The underwater section is where its different and where it counts in the rough.
They are a great boat, best tinnie i have ever had and i love. Ertainly has been money well spent. The only draw back for me is the weight which at times makes it impossible to use in places where the old dory excelled.
ive always had Yammys and love them. i agree with the extra money.
my dad had a dory and was so hard to move around. Havent looked at Zook. whats that
?

Thanks everyone Well needed info
Old 11-02-2016, 08:05 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakker View Post
ive always had Yammys and love them. i agree with the extra money.
my dad had a dory and was so hard to move around. Havent looked at Zook. whats that
?

Thanks everyone Well needed info
Suzuki.

One of the Adelaide dealers you no doubt are dealing with will sell both the Merc & the Zook. The other only does Yamaha.

I have found both dealers easy to use & no doubt one will be VERY keen to establish themselves as the new kid on the block with Telwater. Their reputation is with fibreglass

I saw that you were looking at livewell options. You are aware that there is an option to plumb the front storage well aren't you? Its not a cheap option but in a boat like a 420 it would be a much better space saving option than the cheaper alternative of a 60l esky.

Its a work in progress
Old 11-02-2016, 08:53 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
Suzuki.

One of the Adelaide dealers you no doubt are dealing with will sell both the Merc & the Zook. The other only does Yamaha.

I have found both dealers easy to use & no doubt one will be VERY keen to establish themselves as the new kid on the block with Telwater. Their reputation is with fibreglass

I saw that you were looking at livewell options. You are aware that there is an option to plumb the front storage well aren't you? Its not a cheap option but in a boat like a 420 it would be a much better space saving option than the cheaper alternative of a 60l esky.
Yeah i'm dealing with both Adelaide dealers. I've actually bought off both before. I saw the option live bait tank in the cast platform, and like it.
not sure if the 420 will be big enough for 2 big blokes.
Its doing my head in.
Just sold my 510 Legend and miss not having a boat in the shed. I'm too impatient lol
Old 11-02-2016, 09:06 PM
Blue Lip

Just get them to plumb the drain in the bottom of the bin if at all possible.
Mine was done by the dealer and placed to the side, this resulted in there not being enough fall in the line to properly drain the tank.
End result, a sometimes unpleasant odour if I don't wash it out at the end of the day
Its a big decision mate, getting it wrong can be costly in the long run.
Just a thought also, that a 420 might be harder to sell than a 440 or better because most people in that size market are probably more inclined to go for a lighter, and less expensive, hull such as a Dory or similar.

Its a work in progress
Old 11-02-2016, 09:06 PM
Mature Bream

My mate has a 420 renegade with 40 Yamaha 2 stroke. He wishes he got a 50. I have a 420 blue fin with 40 and it goes a lot better. It's about 200mm skinnier. I fish 2 up a lot and there is heaps of room. I even fish 3 up sometimes with not to much drama.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Big Bream

i know you said Poly isnt viable, But have you checked out the smartwave 4200?
they can be had brand new for that 15k price bracket and takes up to 50hp motors. super stable, quiet and will be perfect for breaming.

they are a lot lighter than the Polycraft 4.1 @ 220kg hull weight

if you go for a tiller steer price drops again.

cheers
Old 11-02-2016, 09:50 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
My mate has a 420 renegade with 40 Yamaha 2 stroke. He wishes he got a 50. I have a 420 blue fin with 40 and it goes a lot better. It's about 200mm skinnier. I fish 2 up a lot and there is heaps of room. I even fish 3 up sometimes with not to much drama.
So many options out there. Def think bigger motor is better
Old 11-02-2016, 09:51 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple5ive View Post
i know you said Poly isnt viable, But have you checked out the smartwave 4200?
they can be had brand new for that 15k price bracket and takes up to 50hp motors. super stable, quiet and will be perfect for breaming.

they are a lot lighter than the Polycraft 4.1 @ 220kg hull weight

if you go for a tiller steer price drops again.

cheers
I looked at the Smartwave. Seem very shallow. Plastic boats in Adelaide are hard work. I dont want to get stuck with it if i want to sell.

I want to get the right package right off the bat.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:00 AM
Mature Bream

Stability isnt an issue in the 440 can walk anywhere and it doesnt move much they have a fat bum so they sit down in that when off the plane. Hope it all works out for ya

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: