Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 13-06-2017, 04:31 AM
Big Bream

Shimano Alderbaran

Just picked up a nice Edge baitcast rod rated 8-14lb . Put a few reels on it in the store and the Alderbaran felt really nice on it. The whole outfit weighs next to nothing. Has anyone here got an Alderbaran ? Any thoughts ?
Old 13-06-2017, 05:21 AM
Blue Lip

Ive got the older silver one based on the same Curado 50e design.

Nothing absolutely over the moon about it other than light, strong, effortless casting, easy on the eye. Just change out the aluminium & brass gears to Calcutta brass pinion & drive gear set.

The new one's are quiet pricey, have only seen one in the hand but haven't cast with it.
Old 13-06-2017, 05:48 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
Ive got the older silver one based on the same Curado 50e design.

Nothing absolutely over the moon about it other than light, strong, effortless casting, easy on the eye. Just change out the aluminium & brass gears to Calcutta brass pinion & drive gear set.

The new one's are quiet pricey, have only seen one in the hand but haven't cast with it.
That all sounds alright. I couldn't believe the weight of it when I picked it up and it felt really smooth. You're right though . They're pricey
Old 13-06-2017, 08:03 PM
Poddy Bream

I bought the new baren bfs xg a while ago mate and im really impressed with it so far, It can throw anything from weightless rigs to 1/4oz comfortably.
its smooth as hell to cast, the tension knob is very sensitive though so u really have to dial in each bait as best you can otherwise you will backlash a lot on cast.
I usually have brakes on max (6 magnetic brakes) then adjust tension knob until the bait barely drops with its own weight or remains suspending and then reduce the brakes with each cast until you get it pinging a mile. once you get the hang of It you will be able to thumb it with little to no brakes, however imo free spooling etc is pointless when these brakes can achieve the same distance when dialled in correctly.

running 8lb sunline, haven't tested it with fluro yet.

the reel itself is tiny and is feather light, feels like a toy imo, same size a 50 but just feels like its made of plastic! But I got over that fairly quick.

biggest bass ive caught on it is probably mid 30s since purchase and biggest fish is probably a mid 70 flatty which made it sing nicely (has drag clicker) and the drag is super smooth, haven't tested the 3.5kg limit yet but i reckon it would have no trouble stopping a moderate sized jew, line capacity could be a problem though.

ive matched it to a volkey 2-4kg and a Samurai infinite 6-12lb

im comparing the reel to silverwolf bfs, alphas and steez.
like I said at this point im very impressed with it.
Old 13-06-2017, 10:45 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyc View Post
I bought the new baren bfs xg a while ago mate and im really impressed with it so far, It can throw anything from weightless rigs to 1/4oz comfortably.
its smooth as hell to cast, the tension knob is very sensitive though so u really have to dial in each bait as best you can otherwise you will backlash a lot on cast.
I usually have brakes on max (6 magnetic brakes) then adjust tension knob until the bait barely drops with its own weight or remains suspending and then reduce the brakes with each cast until you get it pinging a mile. once you get the hang of It you will be able to thumb it with little to no brakes, however imo free spooling etc is pointless when these brakes can achieve the same distance when dialled in correctly.

running 8lb sunline, haven't tested it with fluro yet.

the reel itself is tiny and is feather light, feels like a toy imo, same size a 50 but just feels like its made of plastic! But I got over that fairly quick.

biggest bass ive caught on it is probably mid 30s since purchase and biggest fish is probably a mid 70 flatty which made it sing nicely (has drag clicker) and the drag is super smooth, haven't tested the 3.5kg limit yet but i reckon it would have no trouble stopping a moderate sized jew, line capacity could be a problem though.

ive matched it to a volkey 2-4kg and a Samurai infinite 6-12lb

im comparing the reel to silverwolf bfs, alphas and steez.
like I said at this point im very impressed with it.
Thanks very much for the review. I couldn't believe how light it was either. How much 8lb braid did you get on it ?
Old 14-06-2017, 06:31 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanh View Post
Thanks very much for the review. I couldn't believe how light it was either. How much 8lb braid did you get on it ?
got about 90 - 100m of it, 0.8pe I believe. you could push it if you wanted to, spool isn't as shallow as you would imagine.
Old 16-06-2017, 01:54 AM
Big Bream

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyc View Post
got about 90 - 100m of it, 0.8pe I believe. you could push it if you wanted to, spool isn't as shallow as you would imagine.
Cheers mate and thanks. Had a look at a Steez baitcast reel the other day and they look pretty good as well. Decisions .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: