Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Hulls

Hulls Come in here to find info on that next boat you buy…

Old 10-11-2003, 08:25 PM
Poddy Bream

Talking "New boat"

I have just inherited a boat. Now this aint no brimming vessel really. But I was hoping that you guys could share some information with me.

The boat is a "swiftcraft". Made in the late late 70's I reckon, but maybe early eighties. 5.0 meters long & quite broad.

Fibreglass... mechanical steering with an Evinrude 2stroke 85HP motor circa 1980 or so with less than 100 hours in perfect working order.

Now it is in pretty good nic, and has been under cover for the past ten years or so. Will be restoring it slowly, adding a few bits of stainless steel here & there to upgrade or replace existing components. It has been used as a ski boat on Port Phillip Bay if you can beliece that, but is really in the runabout category.

The boat is really no drama and I will restore it slowly over the next twelve months.

BUT.......

The trailer is completely knackered I.M.O. Has been custom built at some stage and the boat fits like a frog in a sock. But the suspension springs are rusted badly. Can you buy these springs anywhere in melbourne? Does anyone know?

My other question: Is there any dramas with painting fibreglass. Was thinking I would give it a coat of paint and change up the colour scheme as its a bit dated.

Any recomendations? I have never owned a boat before so any and I mean ANY info would be kindly appreciated.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:59 PM

Thumbs up Yup

painting one is no problem. Awlgrip is the stuff to use - search it on google.

But first are you sure that a good cut n compound wouldn't restore the gelcoat color and shine?

Maybe take everything off it and take it to a spray painter and get it power cut n polished with their auto polishers and cutting compound - might save yourself a lot of $ on paint and effort and make her shine like a $ on a sweeps ass.

Swiftcraft made some OK boats - check tho for any sign of timber rot in the stringers and transom (a non invasive moisture meter will do this for you!) to make sure she's worth spending $ on. Likely as not if it's been shed stored and well cared for she might be in top nick.

I'd think about having the rubber water pump impeller replaced in that OB straight away, it's not that dear to do and with 10 years of non use is bound to be buggered. It's the first thing that will destroy an otherwise good OB if it is buggered.

You should be able to get new springs and hangars, without too much trouble and replace the old rusted ones. Check out both the wheel bearings while your at it - might have to replace those or at the very least re pack them with fresh marine grease.

Cheers & good lucjk with it
Old 11-11-2003, 12:37 AM
Poddy Bream

Awesome trouty, thanks for that!

As far as I can tell there is no wood rot whatsoever and I went over it pretty thoroughly.

My brother is a pretty handy mechanic and I will have him go right over the motor. He had already mentioned the impeller all shall be done. It is a good motor, use wise it is still pretty new, despite its age and apparently goes like the clapperswith some fandangled prop on it.

As you can tell, I am pretty green when it comes to boats, and will be endevouring to do most of it myself to get her seaworthy.

Canna wait to take it out on the bay for next years Snapper season! A few elephant fish maybe & a coupla gummies!
Old 11-11-2003, 12:57 AM

Thumbs up Don't overlook

The safety gear, people have drowned in Sydney harbor before today. A 2 way radio and an Epirb are very handy insurance - with those & some flares + lifejackets you stand a pretty good chance of being rescued no matter whatever goes wrong.

Cheers!
Old 11-11-2003, 01:58 AM
Poddy Bream

Yeah, the safety gear will not be neglected.

Or a fishfinder. And GPS etc etc
Old 11-11-2003, 03:37 AM
Mature Bream

Lightbulb

Just a suggestion , insted of getting a pack of the old leaf tipe springs you can get just 1 (each side) thicker spring insted (to replace the old ones ) thus no rust between the leaf pack .... a good boat shop should be able to put u on to them great investment and no more expensive i dont think...
cheers chaser
Old 11-11-2003, 05:58 PM
Poddy Bream

Thats the word I've been hunting for damnit!!!!

Leaf Spring!!!!!

Thats the only problem with the trailer, the leaf springs are rusty as! Requires a fair bit of further investigation, as I think that the attatchment points are shagged also.

Thanks for the info guys...

Appreciate it, believe me.