Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-07-2015, 10:28 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukereneeseth View Post
maybe someone will end up feeding the need a lot seem to have now of JD gear. I think I may pave the way and have a part in it because I see how big the s/h stores are in Japan, but for now I buy my reels only from a specific site in Japan. That's Complex, Cardiff Area, Twinpower Mg, Twinpower CI4, Vanquish Limited and Sephia Mg so far. All less than 2 new Stella 2500's in Australia.

Only problem at the moment is the dollar will remain around the 72 - 80c for the next 2 years.
Weak aussie dollar ( and only weakening further ) has really put a halt on my usual jdm tackle consumption.
Old 22-07-2015, 10:29 PM
Mature Bream

all those above would be your best bet
though exchange rate makes it not as appealing as it was before

my last reel was bought locally (Exist) but my catalina was from digitaka because it cost me $480 instead of $700 locally
Old 22-07-2015, 11:30 PM
Mature Bream

At my Local - Otto's Tackleworld in Drummoyne, the services is great and the lure prices are very reasonable. I bought a stack of the new Daiwa cranks the other day and the price was cheaper than I've seen online if not on par. I've also bought big ticket items (rods, sunglasses etc) and they always price match if you ask. The guys there are always good for a yarn and happy to offer up some good advice.

Having said that, I buy a lot from Fishin.com as well and the price and service is EXCEPTIONAL. Adam is a legend, great to talk with and again happy to offer up some tips and advise.

I've bought from Mo's and literally been abused by the staff over the phone after querying the deliver time.

My point is, there a good tackles shops and bad ones, just as there are good online retailers and bad ones.
Old 23-07-2015, 01:07 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by shole01 View Post
all those above would be your best bet
though exchange rate makes it not as appealing as it was before

my last reel was bought locally (Exist) but my catalina was from digitaka because it cost me $480 instead of $700 locally
au holds pretty well against the yen @ 91.4. Only problem is big banks and paypal, etc don't pass on RBA rates. Payapal trades at 88c atm.

My tackle warehouse (us) buying days are over for now though. Could get Yo-Zuri sashimi lures for $8 au and Keitech plastics for $5 au after postage 18 months ago.
Old 23-07-2015, 05:43 AM
Blue Lip

Well after going through my bank statement and finding the last Japan Tackle purchase, its gone through in US dollars and also attracted a discrete $5 AUD charge to convert currencies.

Sticking to PayPal based online sellers now.
Old 23-07-2015, 06:01 AM
Big Bream

I recently had a dilemma with paying via paypal to a japan based tackle site. (hence another reason I HATE paypal) . . so the exchange rate is/was dramatically lower than any bank or live rate; whatever, I could stomach that. Also had to pay an extra 3.9% as a re-imbursement fee to do with paypal fees on the other end.

Paypal is worse than the fees/taxes associated with petroleum or cigarettes. Fees, fees and extra takings from exchange rates. Wont delve into the great story I have with paypal when dealing diamonds, but it was just as bad as the drama the bloke up north had with having his boat stolen. Cant stand when people say "I'll just pay you through paypal"
Old 23-07-2015, 06:08 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukereneeseth View Post
Cant stand when people say "I'll just pay you through paypal"
Elaborate - entertain me...
Old 23-07-2015, 07:26 AM
Mature Bream

All this won't matter to much soon if the proposed 10% gst on imported goods over $20 in value gets voted in by the government...
Old 23-07-2015, 08:01 AM
Big Bream

If you buy regularly from abroad or go on holidays abroad pick up a credit card like the 28degrees one.
No loading or fees of any kind for foreign currency purchases (and no other fees).
Old 23-07-2015, 05:27 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLuvski View Post
If you buy regularly from abroad or go on holidays abroad pick up a credit card like the 28degrees one.
No loading or fees of any kind for foreign currency purchases (and no other fees).
ill check this out cheers last time i bought a big ticket fishing item locally was many many years ago.
Old 23-07-2015, 05:51 PM
Blue Lip

I noticed the same exchange rate issue with my last Japan order via Paypal.
It was a while back and the finance pages were saying our $ was worth around 97 Yen. Paypals rate gave me 91 Y.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: