Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Hard Bodies

Hard Bodies Diving minnows are the name of the game here…
Attack, Halco, Oargee, Tilsan. Rebel…

Old 01-01-2018, 06:31 AM
Mature Bream

Manns Stretch 5 in Grey Ghost
Old 01-01-2018, 06:50 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plugbar View Post
Manns Stretch 5 in Grey Ghost
Yessss +1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15148035469371479638157.jpg (689.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-01-2018, 07:16 PM
Big Bream

I said earlier that my go to colour was generally ghost ayu, as it's a similar colour to our local minnows, but I also very much like any of the proven lures that have orange bellies. There's something about bright orange that serves as a trigger for fussy bream, IMO. I've seen lures with orange bellies outfish other lures by a factor of 2 to 1 at certain locations.

So far, I haven't seen a ghost ayu with an orange belly, in a lure design that I like, but I live in hope.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:41 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
I said earlier that my go to colour was generally ghost ayu, as it's a similar colour to our local minnows, but I also very much like any of the proven lures that have orange bellies. There's something about bright orange that serves as a trigger for fussy bream, IMO. I've seen lures with orange bellies outfish other lures by a factor of 2 to 1 at certain locations.

So far, I haven't seen a ghost ayu with an orange belly, in a lure design that I like, but I live in hope.
Nories do an orange belly ayu crankbait, but it may be a tad large for bream at 45mm..
Old 01-01-2018, 08:06 PM
Big Bream

Thanks Stella Fella. I think I have the exact Nories you've mentioned and for some reason it's not as good as I hoped. Maybe I just need to use it more often. I do know they have a good reputation and they're not exactly cheap.

I often use 60mm Double Clutches on black bream. I sometimes even go for the 75mm Double Clutches when I fish big estuaries like Mallacoota, so the length isn't really an issue for me.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:03 PM
Blue Lip

I've tried running 45mm cranks (griffons) before but never had any luck. I think because the double clutches are so slim they're still a viable target for bream. No doubt that on the right day a good sized fish would have a go, but a 45mm crank might just be too fat in most circumstances.

In any case, I've just got myself an airbrush so if you ever want to get a lure spiced up I'd be happy to help.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:27 PM
Big Bream

You're right mate. Long and skinny is much better than short and fat on black bream, at least, IMO. Most of the minnows present in black bream estuaries are long and skinny, in my experience.

I don't know what most people do, but I tend to use certain lures in some systems, but not in others. It's probably because I've done well on those lures in those places in the past. Not all estuaries are the same. I see lots and lots of small crabs in some estuaries, but in others they're almost totally absent. Orange lures seem to go well in estuaries that have lots of crabs, IMO.

In one of my other local estuaries, unless you have a green lure tied on, you're hardly even in the race, because the local minnows are green. There are probably some crabs in this system, but if there is, I haven't seen one.

In East Gippsland I'd be totally happy with just a good range of 60mm and 75mm Double Clutches, Cranka Crabs and Bent Minnows in natural colours.

You develop strong loyalties for certain brands, types and colours of lures over a period of time, so they're the ones you inevitably reach for time and again.

I'm a big fan of trying to 'match the hatch' with natural colours and I usually do alright.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:49 AM
Blue Lip

Gold colour does it for me.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:52 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
I see lots and lots of small crabs in some estuaries, but in others they're almost totally absent. Orange lures seem to go well in estuaries that have lots of crabs, IMO.
Most crabs have orange roe & eggs. I wonder if the orange underbelly being such a successful scheme could have anything to do with that?
Old 02-01-2018, 02:55 AM
Blue Lip

As has already been noted depending on which system I am fishing will determine the colour of lure that I use but ... an orange/pink bellied lure being black sniper black /gold or black yaname has been successful for me in all the systems Regards HBt.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:41 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
Most crabs have orange roe & eggs. I wonder if the orange underbelly being such a successful scheme could have anything to do with that?

That's what I believe as well.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:07 AM
Mature Bream

Orange over gold deception palymon the original before the framed ones came out and rapala f3 and f5 in mu ( mullet) sadly both are no longer made.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Mature Bream

1. Ghost Carmen red 405A
2. Blue Gill 509 UV
3. Wa Vampire 303
4. Hawkesbury Grass 310
5. Pink head P-74

All based on fish catching ability, lures don’t appeal to me on looks really until they’ve caught fish !
PB Surface - 38cm - OSP Bent Minnow 76
PB Bait Bream - 43cms - 1.53kg

PB Flatty - 54cms - Squidgee Biotough Bloodworm Wriggler

Proudly Supported by Tackle-Hq -AllBoat and Caravans
Old 02-01-2018, 08:12 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
You're right mate. Long and skinny is much better than short and fat on black bream, at least, IMO. Most of the minnows present in black bream estuaries are long and skinny, in my experience.

I don't know what most people do, but I tend to use certain lures in some systems, but not in others. It's probably because I've done well on those lures in those places in the past. Not all estuaries are the same. I see lots and lots of small crabs in some estuaries, but in others they're almost totally absent. Orange lures seem to go well in estuaries that have lots of crabs, IMO.

In one of my other local estuaries, unless you have a green lure tied on, you're hardly even in the race, because the local minnows are green. There are probably some crabs in this system, but if there is, I haven't seen one.

In East Gippsland I'd be totally happy with just a good range of 60mm and 75mm Double Clutches, Cranka Crabs and Bent Minnows in natural colours.

You develop strong loyalties for certain brands, types and colours of lures over a period of time, so they're the ones you inevitably reach for time and again.

I'm a big fan of trying to 'match the hatch' with natural colours and I usually do alright.
I'm with you, minnows all the way in East Gippy. This is my new favourite - super skinny, 70mm minnow from duo realis. That green colour is my fave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000564_edited-1.jpg (61.8 KB, 62 views)
Old 02-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Big Bream

Nice! I'm going to have to get me some of those.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: