Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Lines

Lines Fireline vs the rest…who wins?

Old 27-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Big Bream

Fluro straight through - spooling up

Hi all, I spooled up a good quality 80 meter Fluro on a luvias 2000 and went for a fish. I could not believe the problems I had with it. I had line come from 2 different areas of the spool. I Tried to pull it off with the drag rite off and the bail arm down. After this I had sections just loop over itself and knot up. I'm not sure if it was a bad batch of braid or the way I spooled it up. Is there a special way to spool up Fluro ?
Old 27-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Mature Bream

Ive only even spooled it like braid, just a slight bit of tension when winding it onto the spool and leave a couple of mm from the lip of the spool. If the spool isnt over full it might be worth tying on a HB and use the boat the let all the line out and slowly wind it all back in a reset the tension of the line on the spool.
Old 27-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Blue Lip

Watching. I've spooled fc on multiple shimano reels with no issues. Did it on a caldia rcs spool and had same issues with loops - nightmare. I don't think it's related to the reel but interested to see if anyone has any insight. I just spooled as I normally do - slight tension and wind it on .....
Old 27-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Blue Lip

What line did you use? I find myself using fluoro more these days than braid. I have pretty much no issues with it thats why I like it. No leader knot issues and not many wind knots. Probably had 3 tangles in the last few years.

I use Famell and it pretty soft and supple. I use mainly 4 & 5lb and love it.
Old 27-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Blue Lip

I got good advice on flouro and it worked for me!!-
Spool it up rolling from the spool and only use 2 fingers for tension onto the spool.
If wound on too tight it tries to spring off the spool.
Cheers matt
Old 27-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
Watching. I've spooled fc on multiple shimano reels with no issues. Did it on a caldia rcs spool and had same issues with loops - nightmare. I don't think it's related to the reel but interested to see if anyone has any insight. I just spooled as I normally do - slight tension and wind it on .....
Funny you mention the RCS Spool. Only time I ever have problems is with the RCS Spools. They are now relegated to Braid only...
Old 27-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbrimin View Post
Funny you mention the RCS Spool. Only time I ever have problems is with the RCS Spools. They are now relegated to Braid only...
Ouch I just spooled up my sweet 2508 rcs 2 spool with 3 lb for something different.....
I'll check in once I've used it for an update!
Cheers matt
Old 27-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Blue Lip

Had zero issues with fluoro on yumeya.
Old 27-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Blue Lip

I have 4lb and 5lb fluro on 2004 / 2506 RCS spools and have yet to have any issues. Regards, HBt.
Old 27-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Blue Lip

I run 4lb Sniper on a RCS 2506 Air spool and have never had issues.
Always run a stick through the spool and wound it on under light tension.
Old 27-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
I run 4lb Sniper on a RCS 2506 Air spool and have never had issues.
Always run a stick through the spool and wound it on under light tension.
Ive always done mono/fluoro the other way, by laying the spool flat on the floor and have the line coming off the side of the spool. Usually start label side facing up and start winding, then stop. If theres some twist in the line i just flip the spool over and its all good.
Old 27-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by manno View Post
Ive always done mono/fluoro the other way, by laying the spool flat on the floor and have the line coming off the side of the spool. Usually start label side facing up and start winding, then stop. If theres some twist in the line i just flip the spool over and its all good.
May just be coincidence but i have 2 RCS spools that i use on a Steez 2004 and a Exist and both always get twists, tangles and are just downright annoying. Put the original spools back on , same line, same method of putting the line on and no problems
Old 27-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Blue Lip

Oldbarboy,

You sure it was fluoro mainline material and not leader ? Usually 80m spools would be mainline but it could be leader. If that's the case that could be a source of your problems.
Old 27-11-2014, 11:04 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbrimin View Post
May just be coincidence but i have 2 RCS spools that i use on a Steez 2004 and a Exist and both always get twists, tangles and are just downright annoying. Put the original spools back on , same line, same method of putting the line on and no problems
Thats just bizarre mate. I'm trying to think what the difference would be to cause that but who knows. Even if the rcs reverse taper was heaps bigger than the stock i still dont know why that would cause twist. Your just doing it wrong!!
Old 27-11-2014, 11:33 PM
Big Bream

Thanks for all the replies, obviously not the only one that has had issues with flurocarbon. The Luvias 2000 is a standard spool. Cheif, it was Daiwa Brave 4lb. Both Daniel Brown and Kris Hickson swear by it. I know they are sponsored by Daiwa but they do a lot of comps and that's what they use. Popper Smurf has given me another spool and told me they have never had any problems with it, no returns.

Its interesting to hear some people lay the spool down flat, I saw this on a Youtube flick.

Thanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: