Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Flies

Flies The place to be if you chase them on the magic wand.

Old 15-01-2018, 03:55 AM
Big Bream

Another mini crab.

They're becoming a little more refined. I thought I'd try some using bright orange, which is a trigger for many bream. This one was tied on a Gamakatsu Bonefish hook size 8. The carapace is made from cut down Velcro and then coloured with permanent marker pens. The legs were made of my new micro chenille that I have just received.

This one has an extra small dumbbell weight that does its job to ensure the fly hits the bottom the right way up. I plan to make up some more with heavier weights for use in deeper water, or water with a current.

I'm looking forward to trying them out in east Gippy some time soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0755_Converted_0001_Converted.JPG (92.7 KB, 126 views)
Old 15-01-2018, 04:00 AM
Mature Bream

They look sick mate. A lot of detail and realism. Looking forward to hearing about how they go.
Old 15-01-2018, 04:33 AM
Big Bream

That looks incredible, look forward to hearing how it goes in the field
Old 15-01-2018, 07:21 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Very Impressive - what sort of glue do you fly guys use?
Old 15-01-2018, 04:17 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
The carapace is made from cut down Velcro and then coloured with permanent marker pens
Gee you have nailed the body it looks bloody good
Old 15-01-2018, 05:58 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Very Impressive - what sort of glue do you fly guys use?
I use UV glue almost exclusively. It's very hard to beat. There's no waiting and you can get it just right before hitting it with the UV light to cure it. It's quick and easy. You can get it in thin and runny or thick and viscous. It's not real cheap though, unfortunately at $28 for 15ml.
Old 15-01-2018, 06:40 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
I use UV glue almost exclusively. It's very hard to beat. There's no waiting and you can get it just right before hitting it with the UV light to cure it. It's quick and easy. You can get it in thin and runny or thick and viscous. It's not real cheap though, unfortunately at $28 for 15ml.
Have you had a look around the interwebs for any cheap alternatives? I know that there are UV cure gel coat nail polishes that set rock hard and might be able to do the same job. You will most certainly be able to find it on the bay for spare change.
Old 15-01-2018, 07:16 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Thanks For that - Yeah maths isnt my strong suit but that sound like its around $1800 a litre.
Old 15-01-2018, 07:23 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
Have you had a look around the interwebs for any cheap alternatives? I know that there are UV cure gel coat nail polishes that set rock hard and might be able to do the same job. You will most certainly be able to find it on the bay for spare change.
When I tie snapper flashers - I just use cheap nail polish - but they arent something that requires a quick drying glue.

This UV stuff sounds interesting. How quick does it set?

could you tie one up on a boat - hit it with the uv light then use it straight away?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7913.jpg (147.9 KB, 92 views)
Old 15-01-2018, 08:40 PM
Blue Lip

Depends on what you get, it can cure anywhere between 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
Old 15-01-2018, 09:51 PM
Big Bream

It sets almost immediately. It takes just a few seconds for it to get rock hard, often it still has a tacky feel to it, so I put it outside in the sun for an hour or so to fully harden.

I made the mistake of leaving the top off one of my little bottles of UV glue a while back, while it was near where I was using the UV torch. When I went to use the glue again, the whole bottle was solid.

I have bought cheaper versions of UV glue in the past on ebay. The cheapest I have found it was $30 for 30 ml. I'm talking proper fly tying UV glue. The cheap stuff was good, but I couldn't find it again when I wanted to order some more.

The glue I'm using now is from the US it's 'Loon' brand, that makes it expensive, but I needed it, so I bought it in a local fishing tackle shop.

Last edited by Windknot; 15-01-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 16-01-2018, 05:35 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
Depends on what you get, it can cure anywhere between 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
Sweet - thanks for that - probably doesnt smell as bad as the nail polish I use either.
Old 16-01-2018, 05:37 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
It sets almost immediately. It takes just a few seconds for it to get rock hard, often it still has a tacky feel to it, so I put it outside in the sun for an hour or so to fully harden.

I made the mistake of leaving the top off one of my little bottles of UV glue a while back, while it was near where I was using the UV torch. When I went to use the glue again, the whole bottle was solid.

I have bought cheaper versions of UV glue in the past on ebay. The cheapest I have found it was $30 for 30 ml. I'm talking proper fly tying UV glue. The cheap stuff was good, but I couldn't find it again when I wanted to order some more.

The glue I'm using now is from the US it's 'Loon' brand, that makes it expensive, but I needed it, so I bought it in a local fishing tackle shop.
Thats gotta hurt - how does the stuff you use smell - I have to leave mine out in the fresh air for a few days before the smell goes away
Old 16-01-2018, 05:44 AM
Big Bream

Yeah, it stinks alright. I leave them out in the open air for a few days and the smell seems to go away, but when I put them into a fly box and then open it up a few days later, it pongs again.

I tend to use flies that have been used before, as they don't smell as much. I have been known to smear them with scent on occasions in an effort to cover up the smell. I think it probably would put fish off otherwise.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: