Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 06:57 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
The fact is that no shaft can "float" - they will and have points of contact with the pinion.

Regardless of bearing or not - they have points where the shaft contacts the pinion either inside or at the end of the pinion via the bush in the Daiwa. The fact remains that there is a pressed bush in the Stella and a bush inside the bearing in the Daiwa still in contact with the shaft. The bearing allows extra rotational speed of the bush however the shaft is still oscillating forward and back against the bush. The only way to mitigate that would be through the floating bushing ides mostly adopted in turbo's, however high pressure oil feed is impossible in a reel.

What Shimano has done is remove as much inner pinion material as possible and made the shaft seem to float on the two smaller contact points. A true floating shaft would be one without any contact at all with the pinion at any of its point - engineering wise impossible unless you use some mag lev floating cushion system.
The whole purpose of the floating shaft feature is to reduce/eliminate the rotational friction between the shaft and the inner wall of the pinion when cranking. The bearing in the rotor nut achieves this by separating the shaft from the inner walls of the pinion. The small nylon bush inside the rotor nut bearing is irrelevant in terms of the intended purpose of a floating shaft ( that is to reduce/eliminate the rotational friction between shaft and pinion) as the small nylon bush will rotate with the bearing. Yes there is still friction between the shaft and the nylon bush as the shaft moves up and down but eliminating that friction is not the design objective of the floating shaft feature. Alan Hawk explains it well in his reviews.

The version used in the Stradic, Sustain and other Shimano reels (below the Stella) is a downgraded, less ideal way of reducing the rotational friction via reducing the contact area between shaft and pinion. Sorry to the OP for derailing his thread!

Last edited by kolp; 08-06-2015 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:22 AM
Big Bream

I use
luvias 2506, 2004
Caldia 2500 with an emeraldas spool on it for squidding
freams 2000

currently looking for another Luvias 2004
Old 08-06-2015, 06:07 PM
Mature Bream

My wife and I use many different reels for vastly varied applications. I do not seem to be brand sensitive but notice that the real finesse stuff belongs in the Daiwa Stable, the more robust in the Shimano stable and the real heavy duty in the Daiwa Stable.

1x Daiwa Z6000(2004) for heavy reef / trolling and general hard work
1X Daiwa Saltiga Blast (2004) My wife's general purpose heavy reel
2X Shimano Stella FE4000 for our Snapper floatlining work
1X Shimano Stella SW5000 heavy Snapper wok
2X 2015 Shimano 3000 Twinpower for 12LB Heavy Estuary light Snapper
2X 3000 FE Stella's for our Estuary deep trolling work
3x Daiwa certate2013 2004's for our light plastic work Bream, Flathead, Grunter, Bass
1xDaiwa 2010 certate2500r for light beach applications
1X Shimano 8000 Saragosa SW for heavy beach applications
2X 2013 Daiwa certate 2500 for Rock wall, light beach and land based stuff.

There are a few old sundry reels as emergency or grandkid backups. We have a liking for good quality gear as for our applications they seem to last a whole lot longer. In our opinion the cheaper reels work well but do not last the distance or take the punishment of the more expensive reels from either stable. The FE Stella reels are simply exceptional and the Certates a dream to use.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:52 PM
Poddy Bream

For heavy offshore jigging and popping work I put my faith in the new Gosa 25000 and the only reel I believe can not be broken my penn 4/0 Admittedly it has a Tiburion frame, JV Variance Side plates, Accurates SS gears, Penn Anniversary spool. double SS AR dogs etc.. I used to use Vanstaals for popping but hate the bail-less. Have spent 1000 + on big spinners before, I went into the shop buying a Stella 20000 so why the gosa?? ... The reasons were it has borrowed some tech from older flagship reels, plenty of drag, lighter than the Stella 20000, allowed me to also walk out with a T Curve GT special, Braid, Gimbal belt, 3 River2Sea poppers and owner trebles, pliers, rings all for the same money. That fits with the thread topic of quantity eh?
If I run into a reef donkey that breaks the reel, it wont hurt as bad as the last time. At the end of the day weren't we all taught " the rod fights the fish, the reel holds the line? " smooth drag and a strong AR is key for me..
Hooked - Captivated by or devoted to a custom or thing.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:13 PM
Big Bream

Looks like luvias/sustains get used a lot.

Guess who just purchased another luvias to add to his collection!
Old 08-06-2015, 08:46 PM
Poddy Bream

Without starting a fight... I can see why Certate and Stella over a Biomaster. Why sustain and luvias over one? Luvias perhaps weight? appearance? brand loyalty? Sustain I have no clue?
Hooked - Captivated by or devoted to a custom or thing.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:12 PM
Mature Bream

I also have a couple of Sustain FGs. These work horses just asked to be punished.

They really shine due to the price point (~ $250) - a tad cheaper than the new Ci4+'s which are great but not as solid physically; cheaper than the biomaster and lighter too (Sustain has a lighter rotor) which makes it more suitable for lure work.

The FJ is a nice reel but there is no denying it is a small step down and heavier.

At the end of the day, I think everyone would love to have only Exists and Stellas if price was not a factor.

Last edited by nbdshroom; 08-06-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Blue Lip

My kit consists of:

2x 2004 Steez (old model) - on 7'3" Millerods Control freaks for plastics work
2x 2508 Steez (old model) - on 6'7" - 6'9" Millers for relatively heavy work and hard bodies
1x 2500 Exist (old model) - on a 6'7" Millerods Brawler for relatively heavy work
1x 2510R Exist (second last model) - will be on a Millerods 3-6kg Beast Buster
1x 2510H Luvias - will be on a Millerods 3-6kg Beast Buster

Used to run some 200X size Airity, SOL's, Certates (old models) but have found the old Steez reels feel best for me - and had a chance to pick up the Exists second hand recently, so thought i'd give them a try.

Follow my fishing travels on Facebook
Old 08-06-2015, 10:01 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
My kit consists of:

2x 2004 Steez (old model) - on 7'3" Millerods Control freaks for plastics work
2x 2508 Steez (old model) - on 6'7" - 6'9" Millers for relatively heavy work and hard bodies
1x 2500 Exist (old model) - on a 6'7" Millerods Brawler for relatively heavy work
1x 2510R Exist (second last model) - will be on a Millerods 3-6kg Beast Buster
1x 2510H Luvias - will be on a Millerods 3-6kg Beast Buster

Used to run some 200X size Airity, SOL's, Certates (old models) but have found the old Steez reels feel best for me - and had a chance to pick up the Exists second hand recently, so thought i'd give them a try.
whats the weight of your beast buster ? You think a 240gm reel would be too heavy for balance ?
Old 08-06-2015, 10:19 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddercat View Post
whats the weight of your beast buster ? You think a 240gm reel would be too heavy for balance ?
To be honest I don't take any notice of rod and reel weights. Just whatever feels comfortable in the hand.

Not sure what the beast busters will weigh as they are still being built. Torzite guides will be used.

Cheers
Paul

Old 08-06-2015, 10:45 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
To be honest I don't take any notice of rod and reel weights. Just whatever feels comfortable in the hand.

Not sure what the beast busters will weigh as they are still being built. Torzite guides will be used.

Cheers
Paul
The 2012 exist 2510r is the lightest R model you can buy crazily light at 200gm. For a reel with that gearing, i think she will feel nice on another miller creation.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:05 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddercat View Post
The 2012 exist 2510r is the lightest R model you can buy crazily light at 200gm. For a reel with that gearing, i think she will feel nice on another miller creation.
Just re-read it, sorry the 2510r (16lb dragon call braid) is on my Brawler. The regular 2500 Exist will go on the beast buster, with 20lb dragon call braid.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:24 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:

Cheers
Paul
Well said mate
Old 08-06-2015, 11:33 PM
Big Bream

Quote:

Cheers
Paul
Considering i buy nearly all my rods and reels without ever touching them before hand, Reel weight and rod weight are integral to my decision making process.

Always curious to see hear about which weight reels are balancing with which weight rods. Of course you cant factor personal preference and a million other variables into the the decision process however i like to narrow it down as much as possible.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:38 AM
Blue Lip

Did a big clean out of my mixed bag about a year ago and am still filling the reel cabinet back up.

Current setup is:
2025 Presso 2015
2003C Exist 2015
2004 Exist (original)
2506H Exist 2012
2510R Exist 2012

2 x 2510PE-H Morethan
2510R Morethan
3012 Morethan

4500Z Saltiga
5000 Catalina (current model)

Will be adding a 2508 Exist 2015 to this and that will be all she wrote on the spinners for a while.
If they're on, I'll be late, if it's quiet, I'll be late."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: