Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 08-04-2019, 09:19 PM
Mature Bream

Does colour really matter?

Does colour really matter? Up till about 12 months ago I would have been in the definite yes class but these days I am unsure. After watching my wife nail fish after fish using the lure in the attached picture I confiscated it and gave her another identical one; I told her it was too old and needed replacement. As you can see the lure has very little paint left and is see through in a vast majority of the body, this does not limit its fish catching ability one scrap. The replacement lure the same colour as the original seemed to moderate her captures a tad so I ask is colour so important? Might dig the old one up put some new trebles and rings on it and use it myself . I guess there are many variables as to why one specific lure works better than others of the identical type and colour and if not colour perhaps the pitch of the rattles. Open to ideas from anyone before I rip what is left of my hair out.

P1050563.jpg
Old 09-04-2019, 02:22 AM
Big Bream

I still think Colour matters and is Important,BUT some lures and Flies just have the MOJO mate
Old 09-04-2019, 04:53 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

I reckon colour is more important to me than the fish - but if I'm chasiing something that eats mullet - I may as well try to match the colours of a mullet.

Same goes for what ever prey item I'm trying to imitate - I try to colour match. Doesnt make a heap of difference but its one less thing to blame at the end of a dud session
Old 09-04-2019, 05:11 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Folley View Post
I still think Colour matters and is Important,BUT some lures and Flies just have the MOJO mate

I agree with you some lures do have a certain mojo but looking at the remaining paint you would have to wonder if the colour on this particular lure has any purpose at all. New trebles going on and back to work for this lure, the Jew just love it as do Flathead.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:19 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
I reckon colour is more important to me than the fish - but if I'm chasiing something that eats mullet - I may as well try to match the colours of a mullet.

Same goes for what ever prey item I'm trying to imitate - I try to colour match. Doesnt make a heap of difference but its one less thing to blame at the end of a dud session
I generally do the same Larry and previously I would have agreed that colour is important but look at this lure the colour is almost non existent, tell me what colour is left contributes to captures. It still works a treat, unfortunately Bomber lures are not known for their durable finishes and life like colours they simply have a great action that suits our method of fishing.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:45 PM
Blue Lip

Colour is a factor but one line of thinking is the silhouette the colour creates.

Solid Black as an example isn't a natural colour but casts a very solid silhouette

It may be a colour we see but also a UV colour such as Brown Suji which looking at it under a UV light definitely has it's own silhouette.

As with all thing fishing there are multiple factors that lead to us tricking a fish into eating your lure and just when you think you have it cracked your mate next to you catches a fish that goes against logic.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:46 PM
Blue Lip

A fair few years ago I had a real fixation on deep water trolling for flathead. The lures of choice were 80mm Predatek Boomerangs with the ultradeep bibs and it was interesting to note, the all red lure would outfish any other colour by at least 3 to 1, most often more than that.
I tried almost every colour in the range but nothing came close to the red and that was over several seasons.
For the record, I trolled 2 lures and had markers on my line to ensure both were the same distance back from the boat. 15 metres back they ran at 22 feet.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:27 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevric View Post
I generally do the same Larry and previously I would have agreed that colour is important but look at this lure the colour is almost non existent, tell me what colour is left contributes to captures. It still works a treat, unfortunately Bomber lures are not known for their durable finishes and life like colours they simply have a great action that suits our method of fishing.

Yeah in my eyes - the more colour that lure loses, the more closely it resembles a mullet.

I've got a thread around here somewhere about the life of a strike pro pygmy that started its life like this (photo below) and ended up nude - it was still catching till its dying day. I'll try to find the thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 113.jpg (11.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 09-04-2019, 10:45 PM
Blue Lip

Yes, and No.

My view on the lure colour debate when fishing for Bream is as follows:

1. Hard bodies:
I believe and observed in the past that bream hit the hard body as a reaction bite, an attack of the foreign object invading the bream's own space rather than eating it for food.
In such situations, this would explain how many lures with lost paint still catch them. The silhouette and shape, action of the lure are more important than the colour.

2. Soft plastics:
bream eat them in most ocassions and not attacking or defending themselves.
In this case, the colour is important as one day they want say a motoroil grub, the next day they only eat a bloodworm coloured grub (all other variables are the same: line, leader, jighead size and weight, etc.)

Other fish species, trout for example.
They could be very selective in what colour catches them throughout the day.
Darker or dull coloured Tassie Devils early in the morning, slowly progressing to a Frog colour mid-morning and finishing with a Pink Tassie Devil in the middle of the day.

Monster Miki Addict
Old 10-04-2019, 12:20 AM
Mature Bream

Loads of well reasoned and constructive comments coming from every one so thanks heaps to every one. Some times I am guilty of over thinking something as simple as this so the answer I think should be leave well enough alone. I should be very thankful we have a lure with such mojo, give it back to the wife and let her catch fish (I enjoy watching her go into a panic with a meter Jew going off its block on her 4kgFlathead rod). Go and purchase a heap of these lures in the same colour and keep persisting. Seemingly no matter what I run alongside this Bomber long 24A nothing surpasses it not even the Predatek Boomerangs which I do have as well although not in red I must try one. Colour, well I am still not as convinced as I once was.

One comment has me thinking though and that is of the reaction bite. I would guess that better than 50% of the Jew we catch with this lure are hooked on the outside of the head, not clean hook ups at all. It is as though they try and nudge it and get fouled on the trebles in doing so. Seems like more aggression than hunger to trigger the hookup.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:11 AM
Mature Bream

Red turns to black in deeper water. In trout fly fishing, there are 2 types of fly,one resembles food, one is designed to annoy. They do have correct terms which I cant remember ! So as Alex has explained, Most fish eat and defend their territory. Howard. PS your a Meanie !!!!!! Taking away her lure !!!!!!
Old 10-04-2019, 04:53 PM
Mature Bream

Fair go Howard I will be giving it back to her with new trebles and rings she has even chosen a new fishing rod getting more serious about the Jew thing . You are one of very few that have seen this lure in action and am sure you will agree it has the mojo, colour, action or whatever makes it work.
As a point of interest I shake this lure and listen to the rattle. As I do this with other identical lures there is a difference and wonder if the pitch of the rattle is making the difference.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:31 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Old 10-04-2019, 06:34 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Old 10-04-2019, 07:13 PM
Mature Bream

Thanks heaps Larry, they are great practical instructional video's

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: