Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Electric Trolling Motors

Electric Trolling Motors The ultimate bream fishing accessory...

Old 02-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Mature Bream

Motorguide Xi5 battery indicator

I finally upgraded my minn kota yesterday to the new mortorguide Xi5.

I noticed that either or the two deep cycle batteries i was using for my minn kota would show up as red on the battery indicator even though fully charged.
I did know these batteries were on the way out from getting them tested a while back.
Then i tried my reasonably new crank battery, Same red indicator light.
Then i hooked up my charger on power supply mode straight to the leccy and still the red light.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if my unit is faulty.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Mature Bream

My Xi5 seems to show quite an accurate reading and that's a 24V system. Sorry i can't be much more help.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:02 AM
Mature Bream

Yea I'm sort of hoping its just my batteries.

I was going to go buy another one but thought i would test it straight to the 12v power supply and still the same red indicator light so i thought i would post here first before i fork out the $ for a new battery.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:30 AM
Mature Bream

has no one else got one of these yet?
Old 04-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Fingerling

Hey mate, just got mine back from repair for the same thing.
The motor itself and all other features work with out any problems, but the light would stay red. Did all the same test and thought it had to be the motor.

Not sure on your location, but I got mine from nitro marine on the Gold Coast (I'm in Brisbane). I did at first take it to a closer mercury dealer and this wasted a month of my time with them telling me it was the LED that is faulty. I took it back and continued to use it while I thought parts where on the way, I chased them up twice and the second time I was told that they couldn't identify the parts.

I tested the LED panel myself and all good, so got onto nitro marine and told them where things were at. They had it repaired within two weeks as had to ordering parts, replaced the complete module.

When you turn on power all should light up and battery light will be red while it does a system test then beep and turn green, which mine now does

Cheers, shappy
Old 04-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Mature Bream

hey shappy

Cheers for that mate, I'm down at ballina i got it from nitro as well it was the last one they had.
Did you have to leave the motor with them for two weeks?
mine is the same everything else works perfectly besides that and its not a major thing but it would be nice if it worked.
Hopefully i don't have to leave my motor with them for too long.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Fingerling

I did leave it as the weather was not the best and had other things on, so no fishing anyway. But I was welcome to go get it and use it and they would call me when parts arrived.

It would be worth having a chat to them about the problem, seeing they have seen the problem before they may order parts before looking at it. They needed to look at mine first as it was more then likely the first to come back for any problem and understand what's going on with it. It's more that that's the kind of luck I have!

Hopefully they even have some parts on hand?

Let us know how you go
Old 04-10-2014, 08:02 PM
Mature Bream

yea mate i don't have much luck with electric motors thats for sure my minn kota went to the shop about 4 times in a year. thats why i thought i would try a motorguide and because of the lowrance link.

I will give them a call on tuesday and have a chat, as long as i don't have to leave the motor there for ages ill be happy.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Mature Bream

Have either of you had problems with the quick release mechanism? Mine doesn't really work and I have to put my hands around the front and press in the plastic stops as the quick release part doesn't touch them properly. Features wise the motor seems really good but I'm not sold over all yet
Old 04-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Mature Bream

the release system seems to be working really good for me, a lot easier and smother than the old minn kota
Old 04-10-2014, 11:19 PM
Fingerling

Haven't had any other issues other then the battery light, I have added extra grease and silicone spray to all moving parts in the deploy mechanism. Might be all that's required, my watersnake I upgraded from got the same when I got it. It was a freshwater model and spent many years in the salt without issues.

I don't have any other gps controlled electic motor experience, but would have to say that I'm won over by its preformance. Anchor lock is spot on, holds within two to three feet at the most movement and like the jog feature to hone in on a spot. Heading lock is great too!
Old 21-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Mature Bream

Nitro marine are now saying that there not replacing the part on any more units and are waiting for motor guide to tell them how its going to be sorted.
That was 3 weeks ago and i just rung then and same thing still waiting and couldn't give me an estimate.

I know its only a very small problem and doesn't affect the performance of the unit but when I'm paying nearly 2k for something i expect everything on it to work.

what do you think?
Old 22-10-2014, 06:12 AM
Fingerling

Mate, that's not good to hear. My thoughts where that when I had the same fault, miner issue but at $1850 I want it to work as advertised.

I would call mercury direct and ask them to honour their warranty coverage and repair it or replace it with one that works.

I really thought they where serious about taking on minn kota in the australian market with gps controll electrics, won't get far with that kind of after sales support.

I hope they sort it soon for you, good luck with it!
Old 24-03-2017, 05:22 PM
Fingerling

XI5 issues

G'day Parmo,
I just bought the xi5 and elite 9 and have had nothing but dramas from the start. Same red light you speak of that does not change to green after start up. Also the nmea 2k network is recognising the motor but it will not update. My local mercury dealer looked at it for a couple of hours to no avail. They couldn't even get hold of head office for assistance as they were in conference so will have to take the boat back on Monday. Lowrance tech support was clutching at straws and told me to install the new TI software which clearly states in the release notes it is not for the TI 9. I'll let you know when I have some more information for you.
Cheers mate,
Jamie.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: