Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Motors

Motors Get the low down on which outboards perform best…

Old 04-11-2015, 04:36 AM
Blue Lip

Outboard help needed

I'm in the market for a 15hp short shaft outboard motor to put on a 3mtr tuff tender......but have no idea whats good and whats not.
Any advice or information would be great.

Cheers
Old 04-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Blue Lip

2 Stroke, DI, or 4?
Reckon in that HP range all the recognised brands would be pretty much the same and I cant see any benefit in anything other than a 2 stroke. Unless you intend to do a lot of slow trolling then I reckon a 4 stroke is pretty hard to beat. So I would say find a local dealer who has a good after sales record coz he is the guy who will look after you when you need him long after the feeling of saving a motza is gone.

Its a work in progress
Old 04-11-2015, 06:24 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
2 Stroke, DI, or 4?
Reckon in that HP range all the recognised brands would be pretty much the same and I cant see any benefit in anything other than a 2 stroke. Unless you intend to do a lot of slow trolling then I reckon a 4 stroke is pretty hard to beat. So I would say find a local dealer who has a good after sales record coz he is the guy who will look after you when you need him long after the feeling of saving a motza is gone.
I'm after a 2 stroke (pull start), is there any brands in particular that should be avoided ?
Old 04-11-2015, 06:32 PM
Big Bream

I've got a 15hp Suzuki 2 stroke and it's a good motor. It's very reliable and its performance is good. It's not real good a very low revs though, as it struggles to idle well. One annoying thing about the Suzy is that I need to run it in an old rubbish bin to flush it out with freshwater, because it won't accept hose 'earmuffs'.

Actually, I'm sort of wishing I had bought a 15hp Yamaha. I had one years ago and it was a great motor. It was good in every respect, plus I could flush it using earmuffs. It ran very smoothly at all revs. The reason I didn't buy a Yamaha again was that I got a truly good deal on the Suzuki.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:37 PM
Mature Bream

Look at usa made mercury
they have the gear change built into the tiller arm with the rw
Revs
surprising how much hassle is saved by this until youve used one
i reckon its safer too
Old 04-11-2015, 09:55 PM
Blue Lip

Suzuki are great, I haven't had any problems with my 4st. They don't take muffs for flushing but have a screw in stainless tap adapter which are better.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:31 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr perch View Post
I'm after a 2 stroke (pull start), is there any brands in particular that should be avoided ?
Had a 15hp evinrude which was great. A 25hp Johnson that was a pig to start cold but was flawless after that. A 30hp 3cyl yamaha which I could not fault, and a 90hp tohatsu tldi which was also flawless.
They are all good motors in that hp range. I would just be wary of the varied Chinese manufactured units being sold. Vortex is backed by telwater so maybe they are an option to investigate but it would have to be a damn good saving price wise before I took one over a Tohatsu, Zook, or Yamaha.
Look at the weight of each and features then decide which unit suits your hull best. If the dealer is close by all the better.
I stand corrected if need be but the tohatsu is 18hp while the competition is 15 if that has any bearing on your decision

Its a work in progress

Last edited by CK; 05-11-2015 at 02:34 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:20 AM
Blue Lip

After a fair bit of research i've ordered a super merc 15 (tohatsu 18) as the pros seem to far out weigh the cons .....time will tell hey
Thanks to all that helped.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:47 PM
Mature Bream

if i had of seen this earlier, i would have said to go the USA mercury over the 15 super.
The USA has the shift in the handle and is a bit nicer, but the Super is a bit cheaper, has a little more power. However it has the shift on the side of the motor and is a little grumbly/not quite as nice.

But they are both still better than all the other brands
Old 11-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg-panelvanman View Post
if i had of seen this earlier, i would have said to go the USA mercury over the 15 super.
The USA has the shift in the handle and is a bit nicer, but the Super is a bit cheaper, has a little more power. However it has the shift on the side of the motor and is a little grumbly/not quite as nice.

But they are both still better than all the other brands
The shift on the side of the motor is fine with me and having a bit more vibration or running a little rough at idol and trolling speed is also a non issue as i only troll with the lecky anyway.
When fully run in it will be used to get me to my fishing spots as quick as possible..........$750 cheaper then the USA model seemed to good to pass up
Old 12-11-2015, 01:18 AM
Mature Bream

thats fine perch, i just own a 15 USA and work on the 15 Supers a bit (marine mechanic here) so i see them side by side.

but at that much of a difference, id be thinking twice too lol.

$700...thats what 2 OSP minnows and 2 Cranka crabs
Old 12-11-2015, 05:52 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
thats fine perch, i just own a 15 USA and work on the 15 Supers a bit (marine mechanic here) so i see them side by side.

but at that much of a difference, id be thinking twice too lol.

$700...thats what 2 OSP minnows and 2 Cranka crabs
I almost hate to ask but do you see many more problems with the super as opposed to the USA model ?
If you know where to look you can get 4 bents and 3 crabs for $700ish
Old 12-11-2015, 04:23 PM
Mature Bream

the only thing we see pop up a bit is prop shaft seals and seals under the water pumps.
They seem to be a bit soft/fail compared to others. But if you keep up the servicing (to within the 3+2 warranty) if you have any issues, take it to your mercury dealer and it (may) can be done under warranty.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:02 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
the only thing we see pop up a bit is prop shaft seals and seals under the water pumps.
They seem to be a bit soft/fail compared to others. But if you keep up the servicing (to within the 3+2 warranty) if you have any issues, take it to your mercury dealer and it (may) can be done under warranty.
Cheers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: