Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 15-04-2018, 11:22 PM
Mature Bream

My Reel Rant

Purchasing a new reel is always a decision making process. It used to be fun but not so much anymore. As anglers we all will have our own preconceived ideas on what size, brand, and model of reel we will purchase for a particular application.
My peeve with the big two manufactures is the seemingly never ending array of models. I am unsure of the complete number of models in the line-ups of the big two other than to say it is excessive. Between the models there seems to be scarcely any difference, a different colour, 1 more bearing, a different construction material. It is not until you get above the mid-tier level that you start to see any quality and even that is dubious in 2018. All their good ideas seem to be let down by shoddy workmanship and bad manufacturing tolerances, simply slap happy.
Could someone with some influence please explain to them that 5 or 6 spin reels in their line up would be sufficient? One or two at entry level, a work horse model, and two more upmarket versions and perhaps a dedicated heavy duty model for the GT guys. By reducing the models they would reduce manufacturing cost, retailers would jump for joy at having to have only 5 or 6 models on the shelf, parts inventories would be slashed, and I could think of another 100 reasons.
All of this would have to reduce the off the shelf price which would benefit us all even the manufactures.
The recent introduction of the new Stella and the LT version sol3 are a case in point, one of each from the big two. Without exception every angler I have talked to has been taken back by the more than normal jump over the previous models price. Although I do see some discounting happening it is simply a gouge into your pocket. Despite all the hype the new Stella seems underwhelming and the new Sol with the wiz bang LT technologies only means it is lighter, whether it stands the rigors of the real world is yet to be seen. Why such a big leap in price?
So can someone please explain to me why they have so many different models in their range surely there must be a plausible explanation that is out there? What is even more frightening for me is that I know we here in Aus do not get the complete range. Looking at the Japanese sites there are about as many again. What used to be a simple pleasure they are turning into a nightmare of technical jargon, misleading advertising and seem to be enjoying getting their hands deeper into everyone’s pockets.
Reduce the manufacturing costs by reducing the amount of models so reduce the end cost to the consumer, everyone's a winner.

Rant over, sorry if some have been offended
Old 16-04-2018, 04:53 AM
Big Bream

Agreed. My issue is that’s is impossible to be across them all unless you’re a fanatic so I tend to just ignore everything except a select few. Hello Stradics. It’s prob my loss, but if there were fewer models, they would presumably have greater distinctions between them and it would be easier to pick and choose. As servic said, at present it seems like it’s not worth the bother to research them all because their are so many seemingly trivial variations on a theme. It also creates issues on getting advice because it’s now impossible for anyone to have tried them all and to give advice to the uninformed like me.

Last edited by Cortinaboy; 16-04-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 16-04-2018, 05:11 AM
Blue Lip

I can explain this in one word, scratch that...... one symbol

$

There ya go
Old 16-04-2018, 06:03 AM
Mature Bream

Agreed! I'm about to buy a reel to match my Daiwa Demon Blood for stick baiting kings. I'm new to this genre and didn't know what to look for. A read of Alan Hawk's "Which Reel?" made the process really simple. Whenever I buy a reel in future I'll certainly start there, although maybe not for something for bream where it really doesn't matter much at all. Sorry gear freaks!

Last edited by Pistol; 16-04-2018 at 06:10 AM.
Old 16-04-2018, 04:43 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagz View Post
I can explain this in one word, scratch that...... one symbol

$

There ya go

Understand the reason but not the logic nagz. They would all make more money by drastically reducing the number of models in the line up. Simplified production, less stock inventory less logistical problems all means more profit. Seems we are all being held to ransom by nothing but the greed of the big players who think that by keeping us confused by feeding us B.S. they will make more money. All they get from me is disdain.
Old 16-04-2018, 06:23 PM
Blue Lip

I understand where you’re coming from

Trust me I do, I used to be the guy out there trying to keep up with it all and running the latest and greatest where I could

Fact of the matter is, the big two are big businesses. I really think they know what they’re doing and they have a very solid business plan in place that takes into account everything from the tackle store display to the sourcing of parts and materials to construction itself. They aren’t out there to lose money by increasing the variety of product they sell, quite the opposite.

In reality, yes, we do have a plethora of reel platforms available to us as anglers now a days, but I for one think it’s great. An easy solution would be to pick a model that is within your budget plus meets your requirements, and put your blinkers on to anything else. Trust me, you’ll just get wrapped around the axels.

Imagine living in Japan where they have even more platforms available!!!!
Old 16-04-2018, 06:43 PM
Mature Bream

I guess i am not really living in the real world but rather some parallel universe where everyone does things with logic and for the good of all including making a profit for the shareholders.
You have summed up my reel purchase decisions perfectly nags. With retirement looming some years ago i purchased the best i could while i had the money. I have looked after all these reels and they continue to serve us well however they do not last forever. So now in retirement and money not so freely available when a reel needs replacement i have headed for the mid range stuff sticking with one model which has proved it's self as at least reliable and stable.
Not being a fanboy of either camp i now find myself with a good cross section of great reels but for me the future seems a bit bleak as far as price verses quality goes. I have now put the blinkers on and just purchase the same model. I do not get into all the rubbish propagated by the big players although like you i used too but no more.
Old 16-04-2018, 11:20 PM
Blue Lip

And this is one of the reasons why I'd rather buy a BNIB Shimano Sustain FE or FG, Rarenium or Daiwa SOL first generation whenever I see them for sale.

Monster Miki Addict
Old 17-04-2018, 02:43 AM
Mature Bream

Buying a new reel is no longer fun, I have waisted soo much money on reels from both Daiwa and Shimano that just don't compare to previous gen reels. I think I will stick to mid range Shimano from now on.
Old 17-04-2018, 04:22 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzza View Post
Buying a new reel is no longer fun, I have waisted soo much money on reels from both Daiwa and Shimano that just don't compare to previous gen reels. I think I will stick to mid range Shimano from now on.
That is a real issue for me; the fun has gone out of it all. What used to be a pleasure is now a chore. Trying to sift through the B.S. is a total waste of time and in the end money and like you i have been caught purchasing crap reels that simple do not live up to the hype or the reputation of their predecessors. Like you i have gone to the workhorse models in the mid range although i went to Daiwa there is nothing wrong with some of the Shimano range.
Old 17-04-2018, 07:20 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Why sell 1 reel every 5 years - when you can sell 5 reels in 5 years

Old 17-04-2018, 10:12 PM
Mature Bream

It may be the modern way and it might seem acceptable to some but not to me. If i purchase a car i expect better than a years service same with a refrigerator and so many other items.
What they are forcing on us is the idea of disposable reels. Some reels i have purchased are simply not up to scratch. It is OK if they were a <$100 purchase but when spending >$400 i expect a degree of quality not just hype.
The only reel that i can think of that lived up to its reputation was an Alvey and they went out of business because they were simply too good for their own good.
It does not matter how you look at it the manufacturing quality has dropped and the prices have gone up.
Old 19-04-2018, 02:56 AM
Blue Lip

Thumbs up

Am looking for the like button on your posts in this thread sevric.
It was easy to make a choice in years gone by but much less so now.

Its a work in progress
Old 19-04-2018, 05:59 AM
Mature Bream

Don't over think your selection. Products are sold these days at a pricepoint more than anything else. If they can sell a reel with a couple more or less bearings at a price that seems attractive to potential customers they will. It works on just about any product type. Brad Sissins said it many years ago, top end products, Steez, Stella, whichever, will always sell to a certain market. Below these there is a vast array of budgets and percieved needs to be catered for. Rest assured the manufacturers are supplying a very good product to a huge variety of buyers. As with all things, buy the best you can afford and look after it.
Old 26-04-2018, 07:54 PM
Poddy Bream

I have often thought about this issue of huge model ranges in not only the tackle industry but across the board of all consumer goods, cars ,tv's, phones etc
Why?
I'm sure someone with a grasp on business and profit making could explain it to me but it blows my tiny mind when I think about all the resources that goes into making packaging and shipping the ridiculous amounts of stuff that we have available at the swipe of a credit card.
I'll ask again, Why so much stuff ???

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: