Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 31-08-2014, 02:26 AM
Mature Bream

13' 2500
Old 31-08-2014, 03:42 AM
Mature Bream

As Grizzo said I have pulled apart a 2013 Certate also, I bought one that had been dunked (wasn't noted in the sale but was not smooth and actually still had water inside it) after trying to get it better by greasing the reel it was decided to pull it apart.
When I took the rotor off the plate and tube came out in one, mag seal fluid still forming to each part.
The reel once stripped and cleaned in an ultrasonic bath was regressed and oiled and put back together.
On getting to the rotor section I actually separated the two parts off the mag seal, upon putting them back together the fluid formed back to create the seal again.
This reel was claimed to be one year old which would put it at bought when released. At present it is smoother than my six month old reel of the same model.
I played around with the shimming when re assembled and found this makes a big difference to the reel even before the full service, reel servicing is not a difficult thing if you take your time and pay attention to the assembly drawing in the reel box.

Last edited by bjspinner; 31-08-2014 at 03:44 AM.
Old 30-09-2014, 10:56 PM
Mature Bream

I was sitting back the other day playing with the '10 Certate and had one of those "you eeediiot" moments . As noted I was having trouble removing the rotor without disturbing the magseal. It suddenly dawned on me that all I needed to do was apply a little back pressure against the antireverse and it locks the AR sleeve in the bearing and stops the rotor from pulling the sleeve out while you gently rock the rotor off the pinion shaft. Amazing what a glass of scotch can do to enhance one's cognitive powers
Oh, and the Unobtainoil is still right where it should be!

I am working through the logistics of making it available for purchase for those of us that don't trust others with our precious Daiwa reels so I will get another thread going shortly, stay tuned!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:49 AM
Poddy Bream

Sweet. I think magseal and magsealed bearings are fantastic ideas. But due to the unobtainoil, I've sold my only daiwa and kept on the shimanowagon.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Mature Bream

Yeah, I reckon Daiwa are actually discouraging people from owning their reels by keeping magseal oil to themselves, but that's their decision I guess. Personally I have only owned 2 shimano reels in my life.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:54 AM
Mature Bream

Great read!!
Old 13-10-2014, 12:19 AM
Mature Bream

Have been contemplating a DIY service to my certate 2013 for awhile now after hearing mixed reports from daiwa themselves. I suppose the first thig to do is open her up to check if the mag seal is actually there!

Thanks for the thread and will let you know once I get cracking on the service. Just gotta get the right lube for it...
Old 20-10-2016, 01:49 AM
Mature Bream

I have been supplied some information regarding Magoil and bearings. This info comes from a contributor to the alantani.com website (an excellent resource frequented by a lot of friendly knowledgeable people, many of whom repair reels for a living and know their stuff) who I have been conversing with regarding magoil replacements. He emailed a ferrofluid manufacturer who replied thusly:

"I got a reply from Ferrotec Industries USA:

Their chemists seem to think there would be no reason why the APG L11 class ferrofluid wouldnt work to lubricate magnetic ball bearings.
They did mention they produce a class of ferrofluid especially for this which is very similar almost identical in makeup and ingredients to the APG L11 fluid.
I wonder if theyre referring to the fluid they manufacture for Daiwa?"

The APG L11 fluid is the one I selected for Unobtainoil to replace Magseal oil, it seems it may also be satisfactory for lubing the mag bearing.
cheers
Steve
ReelClean
Old 20-10-2016, 11:18 AM
Poddy Bream

I have been using this: https://www.parts-express.com/ferrof...er-vc--340-546

Daiwa's magseal is sadly not infinite. I have seen 1 year old Caldias and Luvias'es that are bone-dry in magseal assembly. I have replaced original magseal with that ferrofluid on many reels and no problems so far. After ~100h of use (fresh water fishing) I took apart again one refilled reel to check the replaced ferrofluid and magseal was still intact.
Old 20-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceemic View Post
I have been using this: https://www.parts-express.com/ferrof...er-vc--340-546

Daiwa's magseal is sadly not infinite. I have seen 1 year old Caldias and Luvias'es that are bone-dry in magseal assembly. I have replaced original magseal with that ferrofluid on many reels and no problems so far. After ~100h of use (fresh water fishing) I took apart again one refilled reel to check the replaced ferrofluid and magseal was still intact.
Can't see a label on it but it looks like the same stuff (APG L).
Your observations concur with mine and others ref the original oil and the Ferrotec gear, it's good to hear that the substitute is holding up. It seems that Daiwa used a different formula from '13Certate on as earlier reels are usually as you describe when serviced for the first time.
Old 21-10-2016, 12:10 AM
Poddy Bream

There is "Ferrofluid MSDS .pdf" link. "APG L series"
Old 06-02-2017, 11:21 AM
Fingerling

very interesting read.

I am a Shimano Fan boy, however, want to go Daiwa, but the magseal is holding me off.

As I love the joy of servicing my own reel.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:27 AM
Mature Bream

Ok guys some interesting info here. As detailed on this thread and elsewhere on the interwebs T303 and others have been using ferrofluid sourced from Ferrotec. I have just found confirmation that it is indeed Ferrotec that Daiwa source there Magoil from.

Check out the shareholders of Ferrotec Holdings Corp. Among the top shareholders is none other than Globeride Inc. (which as many of you know is the listed parent company of Daiwa)

http://markets.businessinsider.com/s...ompany-profile

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globeride

Now we just need to find out the product number of the correct ferrofluid. It seems that people are using APG L11 and VSG 203A with the former being more readily available (though APG L11 is one of their ferrofluids intended for audio equipment. Ferrotec have other formulas intended for rotary seal applications, I wonder if VSG 203A is one of them?)

Last edited by kolp; 03-12-2017 at 07:51 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: