Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 26-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Blue Lip

Question Need a little bit of advice

Hi...

Just started fishing with lures, since Saturday, and getting a little discouraged. I paid a visit to the Breammaster shop and Geoff was more than helpful and hooked me up with a pack of Atomic SP's and a little gold Oargee. Armed with this ammunition and the bags of info Geoff imparted I went to fish the Swan.

I couldn't fish where I would normally due to the fish kill so I went down to the brewery Saturday arvo and fish between the brewery and up to the large flag just past the narrows, and all I got for my troubles was a handful of SP's missing tails due to blowies.

Went out again yesterday, second car park on from the brewery. and fished my little Oargee for about 2 hours down towards UWA for about 2 kilometres and the only fish I saw where dead. Now I wasn't upset until I saw Kingpin had a scorcher sess just up the road from where I was fishing.

So there's the back ground, I have been only out twice so far but each time I have been out fished by bait fishermen and I'm just loosing my SP's.

I have a very cheap set-up, can't afford much more, I have a 6'6" store bought combo geared up with some 6 pound line. And as stated before a few motor oil atomics left with 1/16 jig heads and a gold Oargee.

I was also curious casting out my lure I don’t seem to be able to get a lot of distance, due to the lure being so light, maybe 6-10 meters. Can you gear up your lure with some led and not effect the action too much?

All my fishing will be shored based seeing as my strata development doesn’t allow you to have a boat. So any and all help will be very appreciated.

...Cheers

Shane
Old 26-05-2003, 08:36 PM
Poddy Bream

shane dont be discouraged by this, i think its pretty normal!! it took me quite a few months to get a fish on plastics but once you start getting em it all sorta falls into place! i cant say that ive figured this sport out but i am finally starting to catch fish
all i can say is practise, practise, practise!! get out on the water as much as possible and eventualy you will figure it out! it would also pay to get out on the water with someone who knows what theyre doing as they can teach you a lot!
cheers ben

www.scientificanglers.com
Old 26-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Fishing Tragic

Shane,
Hang in there mate. One thing worth while is to hook up with one of the boaters. things are a little chaotic at the moment with Walpole this weekend, but I'd be happy to get you out once the dust has settled.

It can be just a few little things that could make the difference.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg
Old 26-05-2003, 08:50 PM
Mature Bream

Mate,

You could do a lot worse than go and spool your outfit up with a spool of 4 or 6lb fireline.
Geoff's got it at the store, so its not hard to get hold of.

This will increase your casting distance, possibly two fold, you'll be amazed at the difference it'll make.

Also look through these forums from when they started, coz there's heaps of invaluable information there.

Stick at it mate.

MATT
Old 26-05-2003, 08:50 PM
Mature Bream

don't worry, keep trying

G'day Shane, don't worry mate, there is a lot to learn, I am going away this weekend but if you want to keep in touch with the website, next week if you are still in the fish mode I will contact you and we can go out and see what we can do, I am shore based too and it gets depressing at times, if I can help you in any way, I will, so will most of the people on this website, just hold your hand up for help and you will get it.... Neville
Old 26-05-2003, 09:12 PM
nee Paulic

It ain't easy

G'day Shane,
The 6lb line you have on would be stopping you casting as far that's why a lot of us use 4lb, but how long is a short cast????.
The lures you are throwing tend only to be about 3-5g to 7-10g at the max. If you are throwing these 20m you are doing well, that kind of tackle is close quarter stuff.
It took most of us on the site more than the odd weekend before we got onto one(it took me 3 months), and we all have benefitted by teeing up with some one for a fish who has done it before.
You see, there is a lot to consider when spinning for Bream, you don't just tie on and start pulling fish , there is the tide, water temp, feeding times (if you believe in that stuff anglers almanac), position of the sun, wind, water condition (is it still/ fast moving ,dark clear etc) has it rained etc. If you could go down to the local Bream store and buy an oargee and pull fish after fish then the A.B.T. tournaments would be just another Swanfish and I wouldn't be very proud of my achievments.
You have to remember you have taken up a very skills orientated sport, something that few of us here have masterd, even Richo and myself draw blanks on occasion. Learn as much as you can and bend everybodies ear, this is why every one gets so passionate about Bream. It is truely a testament to an anglers skill when he or she pulls a Beautiful fish from the river, it is so rewarding to see that brute of Bream that you personally have fooled into taking your lure.
All I can say is keep at it, persist and learn as much as possible, get to know some people from the site and enter into every tournament, that's 12 hours of high intensity learning over two days.
Good luck Geoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_1184.jpg (50.3 KB, 180 views)
One strike
DAMN!, I hope it's this good again tomorrow.
The Angler Formerly Known As Paulic
Old 26-05-2003, 09:19 PM
Blue Lip

Shane, hang in there bud. I'm not going to go into all the possible things you could be doing but just say that coming up a blank after 2 sessions is nothing to worry about. Fishing conditions are hit and miss at the moment and most guys have taken heaps longer than 2 trips to score their first on lure anyway. Ira took about a year and a lot of us took several months, particularly in the early times of fishing with lures.

The secret is to persevere, you'll get there eventually and then you'll be wondering why you found it so hard in the first place.
Old 26-05-2003, 09:59 PM
Mature Bream

Wink It wasn't that long ago...

Shane,

It wasn't that long ago I remember feeling similar to you...you can probably still read a post a while ago that was a last gasp plea...

To the credit of many on this site they began teaching me small bits and encouraging me not to give up...the best thing I ever did was to decide, "If so many can do this and have a ball doing it then so can I - I just gotta keep at it".

I'd be happy to hook up with you sometime and have a couple of sessions...mind you it's not uncommon for many of the guy's here - including me - to go 3 or 4 sessions in the Swan without getting much.

keep at it...and promise to yourself not to give up...you'll be glad you didn't.....promise ya

Andrew
Old 26-05-2003, 10:12 PM
Mature Bream

Shane
I would hang in there bream on lures is a bit of a learning curve, not a real steep curve. Most important thing i would be looking at is going with some people who actually catch fish on lures.
If you cant land a bream on lure or sp have a look and see if you can nail flathead and work your way from there. Just work the flathead lies .
Also fish arent too worried if you have a million dollar outfit or a budget outfit. Vic McCrystal was nailing bream way back in day before graphite, firelines and chemically sharpened hooks.

Cheers
Stuie
Old 26-05-2003, 11:01 PM
Blue Lip

Thanks guys...

Thanks for all the great advice. I didn't think it would be easy at the start, just a little bit miffed about being out fished by bait guys and being a kilometer away from where Kingpin's session went off yesterday

I think I might need to save up, or go without food , for some fireline because I definitely think I require more distance on my cast fishing from shore.

And to Bear, Nifty, Herds and anyone else I can team up with to gain some knowledge I would be more than grateful.

But with everything it is going to require, some more equipment, time, and lot of patience.

...Cheers

Shane
Old 26-05-2003, 11:12 PM

Dont stress Shane.
Mate it took me a few long sessions to figure it out and land a bream.
We've all had many fishless sessions.
Mate i fished an area about 1.5km long. In that space only one spot produced the fish. At the moment i think they are schooling up a bit more than usual, and i just hit a real good patch!
A change to 4lb fireline will make a difference, especially when starting out! I'd suggest you use HB's first around that area, and switch to softs if they dont work.
Hope this Helps a bit mate

Dave
Old 26-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Fishing Tragic

If you're using Oargees then a couple of hints will go a long way.

1. Don't strike. Let the bream hook itself. If you're a bait fisho, this can be a hard habit to break (sound like a great title for a song ).

2. A slow wind with short pauses will increase your hookup rate. One thing that works well is to slowly lift and lower the rod. the Spads Nod we named it, after our state champ. It does work, trust me. Oargees will not dive properly with a quicker retrieve, this is why I like to give them to new breamers. Forces them to slow down.

3. If you're fishing areas like rock walls, don't let the urge to cast out in the middle of nowhere take over. More often than not, bream will be feeding on mussels right at the base of the wall. Cast along the wall and retrieve back.

4. Where you cast out into areas of flats, change to a different lure such as the R2S Shed or 52 scorp. These are deep divers and stir up the bottom. Again, a retrieve with a series of pauses are the best way to go.

This is just part of what has been a steep learning curve for me over the past 12 months. Keep at it and don't hesitate to enter the comps. They are a great way to learn a lot in a very short space of time. Good fun as well.

HTH.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg

Last edited by Bear; 27-05-2003 at 01:02 AM.
Old 27-05-2003, 12:50 AM
Big Bream

great tips bear - will use them for sure when i next get out there

as everyone seems to know here i havent had luck on HB's yet either so im in the same boat , no pun intended!