Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 05-05-2003, 11:55 PM
Fingerling

Question Freshwater / Salinity tolerance

I was talking to a mate who does water testing for Hornsby Shire Council in Cowan and Berowra creeks.. he was giving me all sorts of useful info on the salinity levels in those bodies of water.

What kind of salinity levels do bream prefer or, more to the point, what kind of freshwater tolerance do they have? Can science be applied to finding ideal spots - or is it a hit and miss affair - or based on experience of the local estuaries tidal and rain water knowledge?
Old 06-05-2003, 12:02 AM
The Angry Administrator

Either

With everything Ive learnt this year, 100% salt or 100% freshwater, If theres enough food source they will be in either. I have seen them on the same day in both conditions.

cheers

"Kill, Grill, Chill and Swill"
Old 06-05-2003, 12:04 AM

Gday.
bream can live in most salinity levels. They can live in Ocean Water, Brackish (river) water and Fresh water.
I personally have bream in a Freshwater Aquarium!
HTH

Dave
Old 06-05-2003, 01:13 AM

Hi Argoskipper,

I'm doing a Fisheries Management course and have just finished an assignment on Black Bream.

Black Bream are a euryhaline species, which means that they can tolerate a wide range of salinities. Research shows that they can be found in water with salinity ranging from less that 3 parts per thousand to 35 parts per thousand. In the research that I did I saw papers everywhere saying that Black Bream are geographicaly isolated (dont move around) but on one paper I found a tagging program (Gippsland Lakes ) showing that 1 Black Bream migrated 205 nautical miles to where it was re-caught. So it shows that they can move in the open ocean no worries and I have seen them a very long way upstream into what I thought was "very freshwater". I still have no idea on how to work them out but that is what is great about them.

Cheers

Craig C
Old 07-05-2003, 08:58 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

They definitely tolerate fresh water - I've snorkelled with them in the upper reaches of the Clyde River (definitely fresh), and back in the bait fishing days, nailed a few on freshwater Yabbies in the same area.

Kinda makes you wonder if that bust off in the upper reaches of a tidal river really was a Bass

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!

Team BreamMaster Member