Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 20-08-2018, 01:10 AM
Mature Bream

Hi purple5ive
There is a school of thought that goes both ways here. Personally we use Shimano ace 2 grease however some insist that oil does a better job.
Tried carbon and did not like it in my smaller reels, we are not catching yellowfin tuna on our 2004 certates only Flathead and some odd bycatch so heat dispersion is not an issue for us. We found the carbon had too coarse a weave to it so tried to wet and dry it smoother but still was not as smooth as felt. The felt was buckets cheaper (well under $2 for an A4 sheet) and easier to work, it just ticked all the boxes. We run carbon in our larger Snapper gear and above because i think the larger drag stacks are able to cope with the carbon weave better and give outstanding long lasting performance.
Old 20-08-2018, 01:56 AM
Dead Set Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple5ive View Post
what grease have you used in the washer
all my carbon drag washers ended up making a black soot like mess in the drag stack, i assume due to std grease used.
i changed them all back to felt due to that.
also i had score marks on the backing plates from some larger than expected fish
P5, I use Inox MX6 grease from the tube for carbon drag washer stacks with a few drops of Inox MX3 oil dropped on to each side of the carbon after I have rubbed in the grease, (tubs of MX6 grease is thicker). I have found this mix reduces the start-up friction that carbontex seems to have.

Or you can pre-mix a 1/2 teaspoon of MX6 and 1teaspoon of MX3 as a ready to apply. Mercury 2-4-C grease is as good as MX6.
I would also use this mix on felt washers, as it won't dry out like CALs has a tendency to do.

Don't use MX7 on the drag as its a lithium grease with a high content of teflon which makes it too slippery
Old 20-08-2018, 04:37 AM
Mature Bream

I used Shimano drag grease ACE2
Old 20-08-2018, 04:39 AM
Mature Bream

I think Daiwa may use aluminium drag washer in some reels, these will scratch up compared to the stainless ones Shimano use.
Old 20-08-2018, 07:26 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzza View Post
I think Daiwa may use aluminium drag washer in some reels, these will scratch up compared to the stainless ones Shimano use.
yes all my daiwas have alloy washers afaik. and they do get worn out if you run carbon drags 100%
Old 20-08-2018, 07:37 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevric View Post
Hi Larry,
We use a big fat wad punch. I measured the sizes i needed to do my felt based reels and purchased the correct sizes from China (surprise!)]
Yeah unless you are a black belt in martial arts and crafts - I think the hole punch is a very good idea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 610.jpg (142.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 609.jpg (182.4 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 20-08-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 20-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevric View Post
Hi purple5ive
There is a school of thought that goes both ways here. Personally we use Shimano ace 2 grease however some insist that oil does a better job.
Tried carbon and did not like it in my smaller reels, we are not catching yellowfin tuna on our 2004 certates only Flathead and some odd bycatch so heat dispersion is not an issue for us. We found the carbon had too coarse a weave to it so tried to wet and dry it smoother but still was not as smooth as felt. The felt was buckets cheaper (well under $2 for an A4 sheet) and easier to work, it just ticked all the boxes. We run carbon in our larger Snapper gear and above because i think the larger drag stacks are able to cope with the carbon weave better and give outstanding long lasting performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
P5, I use Inox MX6 grease from the tube for carbon drag washer stacks with a few drops of Inox MX3 oil dropped on to each side of the carbon after I have rubbed in the grease, (tubs of MX6 grease is thicker). I have found this mix reduces the start-up friction that carbontex seems to have.

Or you can pre-mix a 1/2 teaspoon of MX6 and 1teaspoon of MX3 as a ready to apply. Mercury 2-4-C grease is as good as MX6.
I would also use this mix on felt washers, as it won't dry out like CALs has a tendency to do.

Don't use MX7 on the drag as its a lithium grease with a high content of teflon which makes it too slippery

i use this grease - dsg501
https://daiwafishing.com.au/product-...vice-products/

states it can be used with carbon drag, but i can assure you it will have a black soot like consistency after a while. i suspect its the actual carbon mixing in with the grease that does it, and not the grease getting burnt..
it also scores the alloy washer backing plate a bit.
my emeraldas also needs new washers soon after some decent salmon gave it a bit of grief Ill need to replace those washers at some stage, might try the cheaper alternative.. the bigger squid most certainly pull some string and having a nice smooth drag makes it a lot more fun to fish for them.

Also one more important thing to note.
The ability to adjust and use the MICRO DRAG feature on the finesse reels is compromised when carbon washers have been installed. That’s my findings anyway. The carbon just doesn’t compress the same as the felt to give the Micro adjustments the finesse reels are known for.
And one more thing.
The carbon washers available online are 1mm thick I believe, the 2004 sizes for daiwa are 1mm thick by my rough estimate. But the 2506 washer is actually thicker, so the 2506 carbon washer is actually thinner than standard one which means you have to screw the drag knob in a bit more, if you opt for the thicker washer (I think 2mm) then the drag knob actually sticks out too much compromising the waterproof seal on the drag cap.

In saying all this though, I have 3 daiwa BG reels which have carbon drags in them from factory, and they are super smooth. I wonder if the UTD grease makes all the difference? Ive never opened one up and seen if it also has the black sooty mess yet…
Old 20-08-2018, 11:37 PM
Mature Bream

[QUOTE=purple5ive;692266]i use this grease - dsg501
https://daiwafishing.com.au/product-...vice-products/
Also one more important thing to note.
The ability to adjust and use the MICRO DRAG feature on the finesse reels is compromised when carbon washers have been installed. That’s my findings anyway. The carbon just doesn’t compress the same as the felt to give the Micro adjustments the finesse reels are known for.

Spot on purple5ive that is another real good reason as to why we have stuck with felt in the smaller reels and those reels designed to run felt washers. The felt sheets we purchased were 1mm however the choice is huge not so much in thickness (and colour) but density. I took a washer into the shop and compared and purchased 2 different sheets and prefer a slightly denser material than that of the original washer purley on longevity. Both sheets purchased work equally as well; we have had no problems with either running the Shimano ACE2 grease and see no reason why the Daiwa equivalent you use would give any problems either.
Old 21-08-2018, 02:29 AM
Dead Set Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Yeah unless you are a black belt in martial arts and crafts - I think the hole punch is a very good idea
You know that one can drill the centre hole don't you Larry and the edges will take to abrasive papers....

I like your long, thin, straight punch from China in the 1st pic
Old 21-08-2018, 02:55 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
You know that one can drill the centre hole don't you Larry and the edges will take to abrasive papers....

I like your long, thin, straight punch from China in the 1st pic
They were drilled - There was just alot of tear out with the first few until I realised what I was doing wrong

But you're right - the right tools and the right man would make the job a whole lot easier - All the ones in the first pic were turfed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: