Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2016, 09:54 PM
Blue Lip

Gotta say I haven't been impressed with the Edge rods I have felt. I think I have only felt 2 models and cant remember their specs, but they didnt stand out at all. Might need to try one of the lighter models
Old 03-06-2016, 04:58 AM
Poddy Bream

Isr701

After some opinions on whether I'm crazy to want to cut down the handle on my isr701 to the same length as my bsr702...
I have put some thought into this and am seriously contemplating it as I prefer the higher modulus and action of the isr's for fishing plastics but I prefer the handle length of the bsr.
I'm also concerned about resale down the track even if I get it done professionally am I just throwing away bulk cash as I will require to do this to two rods?
Does anyone know if I can order one with the short handle?
Cheers Oakesy
Old 03-06-2016, 05:02 AM
Blue Lip

Forget resale mate. Thats not what fishing is about. Do it and enjoy it!
Old 03-06-2016, 06:19 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by manno View Post
Forget resale mate. Thats not what fishing is about. Do it and enjoy it!
Thanks Manno. Yeh thats pretty much where I'm at, I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance before I hack two inches off one of my favourite rods. Then by a brand new one and do the same thing to it...
Has anyone out there done this before with an isr?
Old 03-06-2016, 06:55 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakesy View Post
Thanks Manno. Yeh thats pretty much where I'm at, I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance before I hack two inches off one of my favourite rods. Then by a brand new one and do the same thing to it...
I've done it before with a heap of rods and instantly thought - why didnt i do this sooner. Its got to the point where I now take a hack-saw with me when purchasing a new rod so I can fish with it straight away.

But I dont buy fancy gear and I dont sell my rods - I figure, I treat mine so harshly, that no one would want to buy them anyway

Here's one I cut the other day -

Before this one, I had stopped putting cork over the cut - but this is a jewie rod and when its this late in the season - I'm trying to find a spot on my guts to wedge the rod that doesnt have a bruise on it already. So I figure a bit of extra padding on the butt couldnt hurt

But having a rod with a long butt is like walking around with a pebble in your shoe - its doable - but the relief you feel when its gone, is worth it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3282.jpg (82.8 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 03-06-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:02 AM
Mature Bream

Cool

Quote:

You might like it so much you never want to sell it.

I wouldn't worry as said resale is only an issue if you don't use the rod, you can always get the couple of inches added back on just keep the butt end s o you can match it if you can.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:03 PM
Blue Lip

Ive got an isr and from the intial shock when i realised how much longer the butt is then my bsr rods i havent had a problem with it. I use my isr for hardbodies and the bsr for plastics which i quite happily swap between rods in a normal bream session. Maybe use it for a few sessions and then if you really arent happy with it then take the hack saw to it.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:25 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren63 View Post
Ive got an isr and from the intial shock when i realised how much longer the butt is then my bsr rods i havent had a problem with it. I use my isr for hardbodies and the bsr for plastics which i quite happily swap between rods in a normal bream session. Maybe use it for a few sessions and then if you really arent happy with it then take the hack saw to it.
Yep I purchased ISR 703
It was like fishing with your rod connected to a "broomstick" redicuously long

I cut 150mm off the but and is now my go to all round rod for bream structure fishing
Cheers
Old 03-06-2016, 11:41 PM
Poddy Bream

Thanks heaps guys appreciate your thoughts on this.

I have been fishing these rods a little while now and have also learned to deal with the longer handle of the isr reasonably well.
But it seems to make tight casting a little tricky and when my shirt makes contact with the rod butt, sometimes it makes me second guess the next take if its a subtle bite.
I feel the benefits of shortening the handle will out way the fact that the rod will become slightly tip heavy. Similar to how my bsr feels in the hand I'm hoping.
Its a hard call to go ahead and try to make improvements on something that perhaps one of the best rod builders in the world has meticulously designed. Why the longer handle on the isr models?
Yep I'm probably going to hack it off.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:24 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Thanks heaps guys appreciate your thoughts on this.

I have been fishing these rods a little while now and have also learned to deal with the longer handle of the isr reasonably well.
But it seems to make tight casting a little tricky and when my shirt makes contact with the rod butt, sometimes it makes me second guess the next take if its a subtle bite.
I feel the benefits of shortening the handle will out way the fact that the rod will become slightly tip heavy. Similar to how my bsr feels in the hand I'm hoping.
Its a hard call to go ahead and try to make improvements on something that perhaps one of the best rod builders in the world has meticulously designed. Why the longer handle on the isr models?
Yep I'm probably going to hack it off.
You could put some weight in the butt to compensate after its been shortened.
Its surprising how much easier to use a well balanced racks/structure rod is.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:22 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

There a whole range of different weighted but caps you could buy.

Or if you want a more natural look - you could use a technique tennis players use to weight their racquets.

Just need some cotton wool, a glue gun and a few sinkers bashed into shape - keep stuffing them up there till it feels right

http://www.tenniswarehouse-europe.com/lc/customize.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3275.jpg (116.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3274.jpg (80.5 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 04-06-2016 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:43 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Actually I just tested that tennis method - and it may not work depending on how much you chop off.

I sticky taped some sinkers to my rod and it took way more than I thought to balance my tip heavy rod.

2 x Size 3 bean sinker
1 x Size 1 bean sinker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3273.jpg (57.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3272.jpg (165.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-06-2016, 01:46 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Approximately 50 grams of lead required.

Your rod will probably require much less but its worth thinking about.

I spose that why the butt caps are a better idea - they would push all the weight right to the very end of the rod - so you would need lees of it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3271.jpg (58.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-06-2016, 01:56 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post

I spose that why the butt caps are a better idea - they would push all the weight right to the very end of the rod - so you would need lees of it
Just tested that theory aswell - it doesnt make a heap of difference probably around a 4mm shift in the balance point
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3269.jpg (49.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 3268.jpg (45.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 04-06-2016 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:22 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Just tested that theory aswell - it doesnt make a heap of difference probably around a 4mm shift in the balance point
Having built quite a few rods and fiddled around with balance on numerous occasions, that's exactly what I've found. Short butts mean short leverage against a relatively long blank and impractical levels of weight are required to achieve an ideal balance point. That's not to say some weight won't be helpful; just don't expect to achieve perfect balance.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: