Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Old 06-09-2018, 01:12 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman View Post
I agree with matho regarding the nitros. I would be looking at the daiwa td black/Gen black series or to throw a new one in the mix the atomic arrowz, just got them in at work and they're a great rod for the price. Come in at a shade over 200 but if you time a sale you can get them under 200.

Cheers Alex
Agree, definitely a nice rod for the coin.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:25 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
I agree with matho regarding the nitros. I would be looking at the daiwa td black/Gen black series or to throw a new one in the mix the atomic arrowz, just got them in at work and they're a great rod for the price. Come in at a shade over 200 but if you time a sale you can get them under 200.

Cheers Alex
What is it about the Nitro's you dont like?
Old 06-09-2018, 02:58 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
What is it about the Nitro's you dont like?
I like to know that also.

I have been reading a bit about Nitro Vapor 70 (SiC guides), they seem a nice rod from what I have read on this forum.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:04 PM
Mature Bream

This is purely opinion on the nitro rods:

I think the nitro vapor rods were great rods 4-6 years ago when the market for light bream gear was much smaller than it is now. Since then we've had so many developments in rod tech as the market has grown that has allowed for lighter, crisper rods at a reduced cost.

That being said, the nitros have had only one upgrade to their components since their release and have fallen somewhat behind the curve whilst retaining the same price point.
I would still recommend some of the heavier models (magnum butt, baby viper, viper) for certain applications but i think you can get more bang for buck in the bream market with other brands.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:24 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ BRIBIE View Post
This is purely opinion on the nitro rods:

I think the nitro vapor rods were great rods 4-6 years ago when the market for light bream gear was much smaller than it is now. Since then we've had so many developments in rod tech as the market has grown that has allowed for lighter, crisper rods at a reduced cost.

That being said, the nitros have had only one upgrade to their components since their release and have fallen somewhat behind the curve whilst retaining the same price point.
I would still recommend some of the heavier models (magnum butt, baby viper, viper) for certain applications but i think you can get more bang for buck in the bream market with other brands.
Your explanation of the short comings of the Nitros is well received - when ever I played with my mates newer custom and high end rods, I always felt I was a few generations behind.

But for along time i was obsessed with casting hard bodied minnows - so subtlety and finesse werent a major concern - it was only the more delicate style of light soft plastics and vibes, where I envied the increased touch and feel through the rod. I kept waiting for my Nitros to break, so they could be replaced, but they never did

Last edited by yellow door 1; 07-09-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:55 PM
Big Bream

Personally I find that for their price point they are quite heavy and lack a bit of feel.
I'm only relatively new to the higher end of things so can't comment on how they were relative to other older rods but when I was trying out a few different rods that's what I found.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:48 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Personally I find that for their price point they are quite heavy and lack a bit of feel.
I'm only relatively new to the higher end of things so can't comment on how they were relative to other older rods but when I was trying out a few different rods that's what I found.
Thanks Mazman - Sounds like someone needs to get in Nitro's ear and tell them to pull their fingers out - calling their rods "Vapor's" isnt cutting it.

Just looked up the definition of Vapor

"Vapor refers to a gas phase at a temperature where the same substance can also exist in the liquid or solid state, below the critical temperature of the substance."

Sounds like there might be some truth in advertising - they do feel a little soggy compared to other rods

Last edited by yellow door 1; 07-09-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:59 AM
Fingerling

This is great feedback, thanks.

Yep, Nitro Vapors with SiC guides are $400 upwards retail, that is a lot of change for a rod. To now hear that we feel they are slowing falling behind the competition technology wise it makes this price at lot to pay.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:44 AM
Mature Bream

Just look at a few, and as stated see how small the guides are as micro guides are best used with the fg knot.
For flatties you need a heavier leader so some of the diawa blacks may struggle with the knot.
Landbased, boat, Kayak?
Where are you located?
Keep an eye out on the classifieds as sometimes great rods pop up. It's always nice to feel them in your hand as for weight of the rod balance is better plastics you fish tip up so weight behind(balanced butt weights) the reel can make a huge difference to a rod.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:52 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjspinner View Post
Just look at a few, and as stated see how small the guides are as micro guides are best used with the fg knot.
For flatties you need a heavier leader so some of the diawa blacks may struggle with the knot.
Landbased, boat, Kayak?
Where are you located?
Keep an eye out on the classifieds as sometimes great rods pop up. It's always nice to feel them in your hand as for weight of the rod balance is better plastics you fish tip up so weight behind(balanced butt weights) the reel can make a huge difference to a rod.
Yeah I was out on the bay yesterday and got a wind knot coz I wasnt paying attention to my line while casting in no wind.

The deck was a little crowded with a newb wildly swing his rod around and I just wanted to get back to fishing, so I tied my 8lb leader back on with a uni to uni knot - big mistake.

My gen black micro guides couldnt handle it - suddenly I'm having all sorts of trouble casting - I'm hearing the knot slapping through the guides and all of a sudden, I'm getting "guide wrapped" every few casts.

I've also witnessed this with a mate who got a brand new custom rod with micro guides - I tied him an FG and suddenly all the problems were gone.

So definitely dont ignore guide size when choosing a rod And learn to tie FG's. Other knots suck by comparison

I used to be suspicious that uni to uni knots were responsible for line wrapping around the guides while casting - now I'm sure of it.
I reckon its the minute hiccups as the knot hits the guides causing the line behind it to bunch up and get out of alignment.

(Obviously this is just a theory from a bloke who didnt do physics) but what ever is happening - its happening.

Here's a sick diagram of what I reckon is going on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 468.jpg (168.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 09-09-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:03 PM
Big Bream

Can anyone suggest a lighter 1-3kg that would suit. Budget is $200-$300.

Thanks
Matho[/QUOTE]

Just seen a good buy on Tackle trader Australia (facebook page) . You'll have to be quick.
Daiwa TD Commander with AGS guides: Model : avenger 6101lfs 2-4kg
Usually Retail at over $400 and they are $200 + postage.

Its 2-4kg but pretty sure it will suit your needs. Send me a message if you need the link.

UPDATE: 2 RODS WERE FOR SALE BUT BOTH ARE NOW SOLD>

Last edited by DrLuvski; 11-09-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:51 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLuvski View Post
Just seen a good buy on Tackle trader Australia (facebook page) . You'll have to be quick.
Daiwa TD Commander with AGS guides: Model : avenger 6101lfs 2-4kg
Usually Retail at over $400 and they are $200 + postage.

Its 2-4kg but pretty sure it will suit your needs. Send me a message if you need the link.

UPDATE: 2 RODS WERE FOR SALE BUT BOTH ARE NOW SOLD>
Thanks, I might have missed this one. Doesn't matter anyway. I am overseas at the moment, I might wait till I return to Oz then venture into local tacklestore to try a few rods out.

Thanks again.
Old 20-09-2018, 01:19 AM
Big Bream

If you are still looking and are interested in a used rod I have a Megabass Destroyer Deep Throat I would let go for $300. Its a great all rounder. Send me a message if you are interested and I'll get some photos together. http://www.indepthangler.com.au/revi...hroat-f0-68xs/
Old 22-09-2018, 04:26 AM
Fingerling

I think I might have finally decided on the rod, thanks to DrLuvski (you provided a lot of help, so thanks for your time).

A WTB put into the classifieds.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: