Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:06 AM
Blue Lip

13 fishing CZB bearing / polymer bushing

So with the immanent release of 13 fishings new orange baitcaster featuring their new CZB polymer bushings - the question is "will" anyone be retrofitting their baitcasters with these advanced bearings??

images (2).jpeg

images (3).jpeg

pic13fishingcz4.jpg

With the myriad of high quality bearings available would anyone be willing to retrofit / retrograde their reels in light of this "technical advancement"?
Old 06-01-2018, 09:10 AM
Poddy Bream

You hit the nail on the head. I'd say in most cases this would be a retrograde change unless they have some advantage over normal bushings in cases where bushings are preferred over bearings. Maybe for salt water heavy use, bushings are better in reel handles rather than bearings I still think bearings if looked after are much better.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:56 PM
Poddy Bream

All my reels, except my A3 have been converted to Boca brand ceramic bearings. In every case it resulted in a significant improvement in performance
If these polymer bearungs become available to fit the A 3 I will certainly give them a go.
Cant see 13Fishing making them available do you think, not till they have sold enough of the new reel that is?
Old 06-01-2018, 05:30 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sBlackjabiru View Post
Cant see 13Fishing making them available do you think, not till they have sold enough of the new reel that is?
13 fishing is a different animal here in Australia with its supply chain / distributor etc... they're supplying te buhing as a spare part straight up in the States for $11 a pop and come in direct swap out sizes so any pleb can change out their spool bearings...

However there are a few issues this i cut from TT.

""What I'd like to know is it going to chew into the contact / friction points of your spool shaft and do damage over time like typical delrin / teflon polymer bushings hat have been allowed to go dry through neglect.

Also within regards to particulats like sand and dust and how they'll react inside these and its contact surface, unlike a shielded bearing which resist foreign ingress quiet well...

Heat and thermal expansion, humidity, water ingress into the conyact point, self lubricating lifetime and overall product lifetime vs standard ZZ shielded bearing... all these beg for answers...

Its a big retrograde in terms of ball bearings IMHO, how are these bushes going to make my Curado 50e that much better and allow me to cast for bass more effortlessly than it already does?

Im on the fence and by the time we get them in Australia as a spare part, this hype / all the song and dance will most likely have subsided and be forgotten
.""

Last edited by Slazmo; 06-01-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:30 PM
Poddy Bream

The comment re polymer is probably from a) a retired, blowhard engineer or b) a bearing insider 😎

Metal cages are not fixed to the shaft and do rotate, bearing seals do not prevent the ingress of the sort of stuff that will have an effect on polymer bushings.
Bushings have been around for as long as shafts so thats another nonsense.
But

For all that I would be an early adopter for the sake of curiosity alone...I like messing with new toys😁
Old 06-01-2018, 06:48 PM
Blue Lip

Umm ha ha...
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2018-01-07-08-45-50.png (160.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170404_203022.jpg (236.6 KB, 98 views)
Old 06-01-2018, 10:23 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
Umm ha ha...
Quoting yourself is risky, and not a little dishonest.

Notwitstanding bushes have been with us as long as shafts have and their flaws are well known. 13Fishing is a marketing organisatin pursuing visibility and advantage in an increasingly cluttered marketplace.

We are conditiond to overlook flaws in every market segment, multi nationals release flawed product all the time and we accept the term "patch" without even a whimper.

Polymer bearings are no silver bullet, I know that and it will not disuade me from being an "early entry victim".....such is life!
Old 06-01-2018, 11:45 PM
Blue Lip

All honesty just forgot to mention source - no deviance intended.

But anyhow I'd be keen to see these in real time and give a pair a shot specifically in the spool locations.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:48 AM
Blue Lip

They've been out in the US for a while now. I've seen a few reviews and people seem to genuinely find them smoother and quieter than regular bearings. From what I've seen they seem to free spin and cast just as well.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:55 AM
Blue Lip

Yeah I wonder if it'll be good over a wide range of lure weights, or just the heavier lures where the dominating factor influencing cast distance is not the BB or bushing.

Harder to tell these days what is genuine feedback and which ones are sponsored/influenced...
And you get people just pushing any product to get clicks/purchases through affiliate links.

All the gear, no idea

Last edited by Rayman; 07-01-2018 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:16 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayman View Post
Yeah I wonder if it'll be good over a wide range of lure weights, or just the heavier lures where the dominating factor influencing cast distance is not the BB or bushing.
My thoughts exactly. Most of the yanks using 50lb on an Aldarbaren and using 3/8ths considering that BFS, and now with these bushings coming out on a new reel with capacity of a Pluton / Lexa

Just thoughts within regards to start up inertia a well designed bushing is a good idea yet durability is my concern for both reel part and bushing (cost).
Old 07-01-2018, 02:33 AM
Poddy Bream

As the shaft "floats" it may not be a big issue.

The lightest reel I have is Qantum Speed Freak with a full set of Boca ceamics.
No problem getting the spool spinning with the lightest touch but line inertia off the spool even with 3lb braid and 4lb mono is challenging both distance and over run. I am busting to find the polymers lower limits.

Just as background have a Shimano Curado loaded with line.
Spintest the spool runs for 1 min 23 seconds on Boca Ceramics Orange Seal.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:35 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
All honesty just forgot to mention source - no deviance intended.

But anyhow I'd be keen to see these in real time and give a pair a shot specifically in the spool locations.
All good 👋👍
Old 07-01-2018, 04:50 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sBlackjabiru View Post
Just as background have a Shimano Curado loaded with line. Spintest the spool runs for 1 min 23 seconds on Boca Ceramics Orange Seal.
These bearings running dry I'm assuming - as with oils it would have a hydraulic / viscous medium to act against and certainly slow them down. In light of these hybrids available I always run a mix of corrosion x and anoher oil mix in my bearings - whatever shoots out and is left is good on my mind to keeping them lubricated.

Thats where Cal's review of the CZB states that the spool barely spins when flicked unlike how we all all expect normal free spinning bearing supported spools. Yet the spool with line it seems this is where these CZB's excell?

Food for thought i just bought a "old" Shimano Bantam Bass One with all bushings throughout only one bearing supported handle shaft... All bushings were polymer bushing of whatever consistency - reel casted like a damn dog... even with some boutique oils in them.

Screenshot_2018-01-07-18-26-22-1.jpg

2018-01-07 18.28.19.jpg
Bushings circled and replaced - 2 x spool and one handle lower support.

Come the rebuild i said 'bugger it' - shes getting a birthday and knocked bearings all throughout. Now casts pretty well for a very heavy graphite "unbalanced" spool, certainly has nothing on even todays lowest grade baitcasting reels.

Last edited by Slazmo; 07-01-2018 at 04:56 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:26 AM
Poddy Bream

I have a Bantum 50 magnum casting reel.. made in Japan.

Chrome post and frame, ratchet for trolling... casts like two dogs and one bone!

Its brilliant for trolling big lures.

Had very little use..........might give it a run sometime.

Re hybrid ceramics, I run them dry. They are shipped with a Boca lube that can be purchased.
Both shielded and unshilded brgs should be run dry and air washed from time to time.
Noisy as all hell, but give around 30m or MUCH less physical effort for the " standard" distance.

Non believers have had to eat their words at the difference!!

Last edited by 90sBlackjabiru; 07-01-2018 at 06:33 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: