Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 15-01-2018, 05:18 PM
Poddy Bream

Bream on lures at night?

Has anyone , or does anyone deliberately lure fish for bream at night?

I am reminded of guys bait fishing at night and or so early that it was still dark. I also chase Cod and the trend there is to put in as many hours in the dark as during the daylight hours.
Old 15-01-2018, 06:07 PM
Big Bream

I've caught many bream at night on surface lures. It's probably the most effective time to use them. The water's surface is usually calm, so the noise and disruption attracts bream from far away. The surface lure is probably silhouetted against the night sky, making it easy to see for them.

Another plus of using surface lures at night is, you don't have to worry too much about snags and water depth, saving you from getting hung up all the time.

I haven't tried using normal diving lures at night, but they're effectiveness usually increases as full darkness approaches. I'd say they would work a treat.
Old 15-01-2018, 06:10 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
I've caught many bream at night on surface lures. It's probably the most effective time to use them. The water's surface is usually calm, so the noise and disruption attracts bream from far away. The surface lure is probably silhouetted against the night sky, making it easy to see for them.

Another plus of using surface lures at night is, you don't have to worry too much about snags and water depth, saving you from getting hung up all the time.

I haven't tried using normal diving lures at night, but they're effectiveness usually increases as full darkness approaches. I'd say they would work a treat.
What colours do you go for when fishing surface at night?
Old 15-01-2018, 06:14 PM
Big Bream

Black would probably be the best, as it would stand out against the sky, but seeing as how I don't own any black surface lures, I just use what I've got, which are usually semi-transparent in a variety of natural colours.
Old 15-01-2018, 08:41 PM
Poddy Bream

Some not all baitfish flouress at chin and ass when in distress, prawns and other critters do too hence my use of uv coatings on lures.

Dirty or coloured water has me turning to my own concoctions on HB's and plastics.

Big advocate for uv orange and motor oil.
Old 16-01-2018, 12:17 AM
Big Bream

I used to do a lot of fishing for a few hours after sunset using Grubz and Slim Swimz with a heap of scent on them, fished very slowly around jetties. Picked up lots of bream and perch. Most of the time now I'm fishing small, floating hardbodies just on sunrise around flats, when its still dark, casting the lure at any decent ripple in the shallows. I twitch the lure a few times to get their attention, then just sit it on the surface. Works extremely well. But if you're fishing pressured areas, after dark is usually a much better time to get lure bream than the day.
Old 16-01-2018, 12:24 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breamtim View Post
I used to do a lot of fishing for a few hours after sunset using Grubz and Slim Swimz with a heap of scent on them, fished very slowly around jetties. Picked up lots of bream and perch. Most of the time now I'm fishing small, floating hardbodies just on sunrise around flats, when its still dark, casting the lure at any decent ripple in the shallows. I twitch the lure a few times to get their attention, then just sit it on the surface. Works extremely well. But if you're fishing pressured areas, after dark is usually a much better time to get lure bream than the day.
Thanks for that absolutely on the agenda!
Old 16-01-2018, 02:31 AM
Mature Bream

G,day I've been doing a fair bit of lurefishing at night mostly chasing lizards around park lights on the hightide been going really good and picking up some good bream as well, the standout lure has been a clear sinking stickbait with a silver strip down both sides, one thing I've found is to slow right down the takes can be brutal.
Old 16-01-2018, 02:51 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucker View Post
G,day I've been doing a fair bit of lurefishing at night mostly chasing lizards around park lights on the hightide been going really good and picking up some good bream as well, the standout lure has been a clear sinking stickbait with a silver strip down both sides, one thing I've found is to slow right down the takes can be brutal.
Encouragement is good 👍 what size stickbait, floater, suspend or sink good lures are hard to find here.

The Nendathalls running the Agencis that import the dross we see on shop walls have a 30 years ago mediocre fishermen background and then get miffed if we DARE import what is actually appropriate.
Old 16-01-2018, 03:57 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Areas around street lights can be dynamite. Bream aren't stupid. If there's a food source, in the form of moths and assorted bugs landing on the water, they will be there waiting for an easy meal.
Old 16-01-2018, 04:49 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
Areas around street lights can be dynamite. Bream aren't stupid. If there's a food source, in the form of moths and assorted bugs landing on the water, they will be there waiting for an easy meal.
Ah!!! "DRY FLY" potential 😎
Old 16-01-2018, 05:12 AM
Mature Bream

I started out using a tiemco that I modded to match the baitfish the lizard's where coughing up but got some cheapies from the local baitncrackle that worked even better, look on alibarba or aliexpress there's a few companies boxing DohDohDohDoh up and ripping fisho,s off. $5:60 don't hurt as much as 14:00 a pop.
Old 16-01-2018, 05:17 AM
Mature Bream

Most of the bream I've caught have been right on the edges of the light pools standing a fair way back seems to work best before moving closer in the flyfishing at night is already in the pipeline just have to refine my flies a little bit more.
Old 16-01-2018, 05:35 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
I started out using a tiemco that I modded to match the baitfish the lizard's where coughing up but got some cheapies from the local baitncrackle that worked even better, look on alibarba or aliexpress there's a few companies boxing DohDohDohDoh up and ripping fisho,s off. $5:60 don't hurt as much as 14:00 a pop.
Yep! Got fed up with Aussie gouging so went direct to factory hb's in neutral colours around $1.80 - $2.50 pce. inc postage. Trick them and tune myself and save a bundle + the fun of creating stuff myself.

Thanks for the info will post report even if its a fail.

Plan b is a 10'6" Shimano and plastics for the back beach and plan c) a bundle of slow pitch jigs for the deep hole at the river entrance on the lake side
In the past sounder has shown decent marks in the deep so fingers crossed.
Cheers
Old 16-01-2018, 06:26 AM
Mature Bream

No worries sometimes the best ideas come from keen observation and modding something up and braining fish is the best.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: