Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 29-09-2015, 07:24 AM
Mature Bream

catching bream in the deeper water

So I think I have my topwater bream fishing sorted, I am getting better at snag and structure fishing, and I am working on my sand flats. Where I really struggle is deeper water, particularly in spring when the bream are still deeper in the system. I would appreciate some advice on fishing deeper water situations - is a sounder essential? Is it all down to spotting schools? etc.
Old 29-09-2015, 08:13 PM
Mature Bream

I've found sounding up bait helps find schooling fish, then use blades or soft plastics super slow / subtle with long pauses tends to work. 2lb or 3lb fluro carbon leader thats 2 rod lengths seems to be the go also.

Without a sounder its a bit harder but very doable, you are really just out searching..so try and study the areas maps off insight/lowrance or dpi info and make reference points from the land and try and line it up when out in the boat, deep holes, drop offs ect..

more time you spend out there the more chance you will find those spots...use your phone to gps mark if you cant on a sounder.
Old 29-09-2015, 11:59 PM
Mature Bream

In rivers, when you go through bends (large / sharp) you will generally always get deep pockets both sides and the outside bank water is usually deeper. I fished without sounders for a long time and knowing what to look for is key. Definitely harder in open water situations but a pair of polarized sunnies goes a mile in that aspect.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab253/searingtackle/webbanner_zpsnjjqxuuj.gif
Old 30-09-2015, 12:26 AM
Big Bream

You don't need a sounder, but it definitely makes it a lot easier to know the depth, which lets you know what size jighead to throw etc.
It's not all down to sounding schools in open water, a lot of the time the best fishing is off a bank with a rocky/weed edge!
One thing I've found when fishing deeper is you do have to fish a lot slower, and most of the time you just have to dead stick until you feel the bites.
Here's a video I made fishing a deep weed edge, might give you a bit of an idea!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfYDQUpv-AE

Pure Fishing

Follow my team page:

www.facebook.com/toddrichesfishing