Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 05:09 AM

sigh

Well,

Lets see now.....scenario's, & how would I know?

Good questions.

Maybe I was once employed by Govt to collect and pass on just such "intelligence" and when the need arose, investigate, arrest - take witness statements, take confessions, compile a case and prosecute it via the DPP.

Go ahead and make a nuisance of yourselves all you wan't at yachtclubs, and see where it gets you.

Too many movies? ... I think not - real lifes MUCH more fun and usually far more 'involved' than many would ever realise. I kinda remember well the WA Inc days - I spent my time as a crown witness in the Supreme court (thats the one where they still all wear wigs!) putting corrupt govt people & pollies behind bars.

Maybe some of you don't know as much as you'd like to think about the unwritten rules of how the games played, maybe theres a certain comfort to be had in niaivite, but it never did some folks like Petrellis' of this world much good!

As far as leases - I've written & signed quite a few for the WA Govt over the years, take it from me - I know what I'm saying in that area of WA land laws, regards access - I did work for a Govt Land Management agency after all, Swan River Trust or no Swan River Trust (actually I have a copy of the Swan River Trust act handy around here somewhere, since I was empowered to enforce it!!!) .

The fact that there are bream fishers who actually believe (incorrectly) that they have the right to trespass on Yachtclubs leashold land, will IMHO make it very difficult for industry leaders (breammaster folks?) to negotiate at all with the Yacht Club commodores.

It only takes ONE such Yacht club member to copy / print and supply to the club officials, examples of the attitudes held bye some breamers - to convince them that allowing ANY access at all is a mistake - which is exactly HOW we end up in this pickle where we are now - with NO ACCESS being the preferred yacht club Policy.

I still think "agreed access" (if neccessary under some form of Govt licensure - remember licensure is used for multiple access situations), IF the right approach to the issue is taken.

For example.....lets say it "becomes" a health issue, what heavey metals (Copper, Cadmium, Mercury and so on) get into molluscs and fish in the rivers adjacent to yacht clubs, where anti fouling on yachts has been used - scraped annually and reapplied etc for probably 80 or more years..

And lets say the Swan River Trust, Health Department and Fisheries Wa want a study done on such levels - they would surely be prepared to negotiate with yacht clubs under the terms of their lease, to allow "licensed volunteers" to collect such samples of Mussels and bream LIVE etc from around the yacht club pylons, in order to test residue levels?

Anyone seeing the light here yet?

Theres ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat (or catch a bream as the case may be).

How such a thing could become a public health issue I have no idea at all - I mean, it's NOT like any concerned member of the public is going to start submitting tissue samples to an independant testing laboratory and then hand out a press release to the media, detailing serious health risks, potential birth deformitys etc, to run with, is it now??

No - we don't know anyone who would deliberately engineer a situation like that...do we?

Of course - it's ALWAYS handy when such seemingly "insurmountable problems" arise, IF some organisation has an easy cheap and ready "solution" available to "Help Out" at the opportune time....such as a group of concerned "volunteers" prepared to be "licensed to enter the leases to collect samples" at little or no cost.

Gee - I wonder where we could find a group of people like that - anyone have any idea's?

Cheers!
Old 11-06-2003, 07:26 AM
Poddy Bream

I think they are looking for me corey - ready to drag the heratic from NSW across to WA to flog me.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:22 AM
Mature Bream

A CAN OF WORMS

GUYS GUYS GUYS !!!! what a can of worms Trouty opened, Pacestick and I have fished yacht clubs a lot, we have not been approached or abused, we make sure that we stay off the private jetties and only fish the public areas, we get pretty close to the boats but are careful in what we do, the jetties are private property, the yachties are very cautious about " the public " walking about near their toys, and why not, so would I . If you are on the water in a boat, no worries as long as you don't start climbing aboard to collect a wayward lure, be reasonable guys, I hate not being allowed access to the jetties too but if we have the right attitude and one day make an approach to the Club, who knows what can happen... Neville....
Old 11-06-2003, 08:37 AM
Mature Bream

yep i agree Neville

unfortunately it only takes one person to wreck it for everyone. i was fishing at my YC this arvo when i was asked by an employee there if i knew that i wasnt allowed to fish the YC jetties.
i told him that i was a member and he said that there was "new" club policy that no fishing is allowed because a lady got a rusty hook stuck in her hand when she was releasing the mooring ropes. some inconsiderate person had obviously tangled up and snapped off leaving the hook/jig in the rope.

i think soo long as we have people doing stuff like this there will be buckleys chance of ever being allowed to fish them.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:49 PM
Mature Bream

Here we go

I dont believe anyone has ever taken any info on me for fishing yacht clubs and if im wrong I will buy you a boat dude.
I fished an hour and a half at a big club two weeks ago the guy that eventualy asked me to leave watched me catch two fish, asked me about my lure then very politely asked my to leave.............NO DRAMA's I wasn't asked to produce ID or followed to my car, photgraphed or followed or visited by aliens....(I did see a speed camera on my way home)
Point is if you are obviosly JUST FISHING and not casting into the side of boats and tangling with ropes most yacht club guys are reasonable.
You have created a huge conspiacy from a void issue, breamers will walk through clubs and sneak in casts, Theives will steal things from all kinds of places to support drug habits or children the desire for cash and expensive things.
If you think your crazy story has detered anyone from what they do your wrong.
Corey
BTW. I dont condone people leaving hooks line or any other litter around nor do I crack the shits when asked to move on.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:00 PM
Blue Lip

I think if you're sensible and polite then really nothing too awkward is going to develop. I spent an hour or so off the Freshwater Bay YC fueling jetty not so long ago and spent most of that time chatting to one one of the Club guys on the shore. It was actually quite pleasant.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:57 PM

Access

It seems some have no problems 99.9% of the time whether it be to yacht club leases or across farmers paddocks to get to trout rivers - some people seem to have MOST of the problems.

I guess appearances/ first impressions have a LOT to do with it- elderly fellow - well attired and obviously kitted out to fish with all the apprpriate gear might get a better reception than a young rambo in camo gear with a knife between his teeth looking like Arnie Swarzenegger, in Terminator 2 might get different receptions when seeking permission for access - or when confronted durting a fishing foray bye the land owner / yacht club patrons etc.

I've never had access problems - yet I've come across plenty of anglers who seem to.

Maybe a lot of it is how you approach it too.

Of course clubs being what they are tend to "like to have a lot of rules and policys" to deal with every imaginable scenario so that "everyone gets treated equal".

Aside from the obvious reasons I've already pointed out - perhaps some of the yachties actually like a fesh feed a bream fillets for breakfast occasionally?

I guess there will always be problems, it's all in how it's adressed...and the personalities involved at the time.

I would figure boat based anglers might fare better than shore based in as far as being mobile - here one minute moved on the next - not seen as any particular threat other than the odd lure lodged in a mooring rope maybe. Shore based are easier to intercept - question etc..so probably get the most attention, and more often than not, might be expected to be the younger breamers, which makes it doubly hard for them.

Done right, I'd imagine yacht club access isn't insurmountable, but there will undoubtedly be hurdles to overcome, perhaps best done face to face with the yacht club officials bye the industry leaders.

Thats my take on it, a can of worms indeed...

Cheers!
Old 12-06-2003, 12:22 AM
Fingerling

Do you always back-track in every outragouse statement you make?

For example...
your first post-
"In my opinion - only a total idiot would try to fish yacht clubs"
you most recent post-
"Done right, I'd imagine yacht club access isn't insurmountable, but there will undoubtedly be hurdles to overcome, perhaps best done face to face with the yacht club officials bye the industry leaders."
wakey wakey hands off snakey snoozer
Old 12-06-2003, 01:32 AM

Ahh, all the worlds a critic.

Lets see,

So far I've offered a few suggestions as to remedys for the current situation.

Agreed access bye negotiation, with YachtClubs,
Access By Licensure, under the existing lease conditions,
&
Access as "volunteers" to collect specimens for heavey metals analyisis, under Health/Fisheries depts auspices.

Not to mention I've pointed out, from first hand experience, WHY most yacht clubs seem to adopt the unfriendly attitude toward recreational anglers using their facilities that they do.

I think I also highlighted some of the potential pitfalls for those who seem determined to "push their luck anyway and be damned".

So far - I don't see a lot of other suggestions other than "taking your chances" being offered.

At the moment - my outrageous position isn't being backed away from at all - I still contend you'd have to be a total idiot to push your luck consistently trying to fish at yacht clubs, under the existing situation.

However, I can see 3 potential ways the Yachtclubs leases can actually be "used against them" legally" to gain such access.
(And I've explained and detailed those in case anyone felt the urge to utilise the info constructively).

I'm with Bear to a large extent, In that I also don't want to see "public access" to the resource lost gradually by stealth as more and more clubs and penns spring up - funded bye the well heeled of this world with their "floating gin palaces".

Of course - some folks find it easier to criticise, rather than offer "constructive suggestions" toward solving the problem.

I leave it to others to decide for themselves - whats likely to work for the betterment of breamfishing in the longer term.

Cheers!
Old 12-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Fishing Tragic

guys,
As much as this is a touchy subject lets not get carried away with personal attacks.

Any crap will be deleted.

Lets keep this a constructive debate.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg
Old 12-06-2003, 03:09 AM
Mature Bream

"Not to mention I've pointed out, from first hand experience, WHY most yacht clubs seem to adopt the unfriendly attitude toward recreational anglers using their facilities that they do."
I have not ever had a problem with peoples attitudes untill now.
In practice the relation ship seems fine.
Its almost as if I am allowed to have a few casts B4 being shifted along, I dont know of any one who has copped a bollicking for fishing a club providing they dont go past the gates, set up camp with buckets rod holders etc. or make some other kind of nuesence of themselves.
Corey
BTW I didnt mean to be direct or nasty I ment my last post mostly in jest.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:37 AM

No sweat

Bear,
I'll try extra hard not to make it personal.

Re:
Quote:
Any crap will be deleted.
Crikey - that could apply to lots of my posts! ....maybe best I handicap myself & tie one typing arm behind my back! (Kidding - delete away if/when deemed necessary, it's the "mooderators" who keep the right tenor of the board - never and easy task bear and mostly a thankless one).

Ahh - what the heck - it is a touchy subject, no doubt, sooo, who wants to have a go at changing the situation, and approach the yacht clubs?.

Cheers!
Old 12-06-2003, 05:31 AM
Poddy Bream

Re: sigh

Quote:
Originally posted by trouty
Well,

Lets see now.....scenario's, & how would I know?

Good questions.

Maybe I was once employed by Govt to collect and pass on just such "intelligence" .......
Trouty - you have quite an imagination! Comparing bream fishing to "putting corrupt govt people & pollies behind bars" and "folks like Petrellis' " is a little over the top. For those of you that don't know, Andrew Petrellis was the fellow who "mysteriously" died of a drug overdose whilst in a witness protection program in Queensland.

FOR GOD'S SAKE WE ARE SPINNING FOR BREAM.

My advice would be to leave things rather than go in stirring up the yacht club officials. I never have a problem as it is. Like I said TWICE before... Do the right thing and you will be OK. If you get kicked out - you get kicked out. The bloke that kicks you out probably hasn't had a root for a while anyway!

Bear has mentioned that advances have been made to yacht clubs and have been rejected.

Like you Corey, most of the time the members are polite and inquisitive.

Cheers

Doc

BTY Trouty - They wear wigs in the Supreme Court? Have you been down there lately?
Old 12-06-2003, 05:54 AM
Mature Bream

Thank you DOC

Well said you put it perfectly............Twice!
Cheers
Corey
Old 12-06-2003, 06:33 AM
Poddy Bream

Has anyone actually looked in the books yet on this subject - the laws in NSW are actully quite clear - and surprising to say the least - but I am a bit hazy on WA ones - and are now a bit worried about entering the state if the police behave as trouty describes.
Closed Thread